Special Needs
Options

What is your (19 month old) LO's day like?

Hi all,

I am wondering for those of you who stay home with your children, what kinds of activities do you do during the day? 

Owen is 19 mos. and has a lot of energy.  He takes 1 nap a day.  He has ST and OT at home on Monday and Wednesday mornings, and PT at a facility on Thurs. morning.  During our free time, he takes a weekly "gym" class, we go to the playground (although it gets really hot in the afternoon since we're in Florida), story time at the library on Saturdays, and he plays with his toys in the house and in the backyard (he loves to push his toy lawnmover, shopping cart, etc.), but I can't get him to do a structured activity like color or paint for more than a minute (he eats the crayons or just loses interest).  I am trying to find some playdates for him, and come up with age appropriate free or cheap activites. 

Thanks,

Melissa (first time mother of advanced maternal age, who also happens to have been an only child without cousins and therefore had no prior exposure to children).

Re: What is your (19 month old) LO's day like?

• Options

(first time mother of advanced maternal age, who also happens to have been an only child without cousins and therefore had no prior exposure to children).

Melissa,

I was having a pretty crappy day but that made me laugh :)  I hope all is well with Owen.  Lesley

• Options
    My son is a few months younger, but he is really into shape sorters right now, especially if there is noise involved.  We have a bunch, including one that all my older son's therapists have (https://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-Battat-Sound-Puzzle-Box/dp/B001FVGM6O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1306862794&sr=8-15).  We also have a Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Piggy Bank that he really likes.  We work on language and turn-taking while doing this (asking for more, please).  Around that age, my older son also really like the ball-hammering toys -- Discovery Toys has a boat one, and there are plenty of others.  You could also try Play Dough or Moon Sand.  Water tables at this age are also fun, as are bubbles.  Another cheapie is a dried beans and rice bin (you can bury toys in it for the kids to find).  Shaving cream play is another fun thing at our house -- you can drive cars/trains through it.  We also have a mini-ball pit in the basement (blow-up kiddie pool with balls from Toys R Us), as well as a tunnel and trampoline.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"