Pregnant after a Loss
Options

lifting / carrying stuff... better safe than sorry, right?

I don't want to be a delicate flower, nor do I feel like one, but I do NOT want to be doing anything stupid that could jeopardize baby's well-being in there.

We've got a trip planned to Europe when I'll be 13 weeks.  We planned on bringing large backpacks as our checked luggage because it's just easier to hop on and off trains and walk through cobblestone streets that way.  Rolling suitcases just are not practical at all where we're going (everywhere we're going we've been before w/ backpacks).  The backpack I have is very supportive and ergonomic so it doesn't put much strain on the back itself.  And DH could do the lifting part to get it on and off of me to minimize that.  But I'm concerned about carrying an extra 20-30 lbs on my person and doing a little bit of walking (not far, but probably up a hill) in the areas where cars are not allowed.  And it'll be early August so 90-95 degrees where we'll be for part of the trip.  DH is uber-protective so he's not going to let me do anything even nearly over-strenuous.  Something that rolls would be a PITA up a hill and over cobblestones, but at least DH would have free hands to pull it for me if necessary.

I guess my question is (and I'll ask my doctor as well when I go in for my appt) what should be my limitations as far as lifting stuff or carrying things? 

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
*folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012

Re: lifting / carrying stuff... better safe than sorry, right?

• Options

My doctor gave me a lifting limit of a gallon of milk - 8 pounds.  However, we did spend a few weeks in Europe this pregnancy and used rolling suitcases.  I did pick mine up when needed, though DH did the bulk of the heavy lifting.  My suitcase (and heck, my backpack - since I always travel with one) was unquestionably over my lifting limit.  I just listened to my body and made sure to rest a lot and get plenty of water.  We also went in December, so heat (other than the fact that they way overuse their heaters) was not a factor. 

We also weren't switching cities often (I've done the full on backpacking through Europe route and it's different than what we did), so my dealing with luggage was limited.  You're right though - dealing with luggage of any sort on trains is a PITA.  You'll also be there during tourist season which will make it worse.  Though, in August, many Europeans leave and go on vacation, so depending on where you are, it may be even worse or better from a tourist standpoint. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    You should be fine with the backpack but I would ask your dr just to make sure. As far as the heat goes just stay hydrated and rest when you feel like you need too.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you used to lifting that amount of weight?

I just asked a similar question on another board yesterday- my son is 32lbs and I pick him up without even thinking of it. My last pregnancy (that resulted in m/c), I was limited to lifting 15lbs and under because of all of my spotting. I figure I'll keep lifting DS until I have any spotting or problems. Most of the answers I got yesterday were like "if it's an amount of weight you're used to lifting, you should be fine to continue" just like with exercise.

Although, this could be totally wrong! haha I would definitely call your dr and ask! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options

I would think that the normal lifting restrictions would apply.  That said, I've got a backpack like the one you mention and I agree that its less strain carrying that weight in the pack than it is in a dufflebag or suitcase.  Getting it on/off and keeping your balance would be the trickiest part (13w is before my abs really started to hate me, so hopefully thats not an issue for you then). 

Definitely watch the heat and slow down if necessary!

Ultimately I think I'd talk to the doc and see what s/he says.  It may require altering your plans a little...a bummer, but worth it.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I would talk to your doctor. As the pregnancy progress you'll know more about how you feel with walking, heat, and lifting things. That will help you decide too. At 13 weeks, I wouldn't have been up to it because of nauseous and RLP, but I have been pretty wussy with this pregnancy. Sounds like a fun trip!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    Our trip is London - train - Glasgow - car- Loch Lomand (sleepy area north of Glasgow) - plane- London - plane - Pisa - train - Cinque Terre - train - Milan.  I'm mostly concerned w/ the Cinque Terre part of the trip where there are no cars allowed in the town we're staying in and it's very hilly.

• Options
    Check with your doctor if you want, but I do not think on your back if it is supportive should be a problem.  Just make sure you drink plenty of water and you will be fine.  My son is about 30 pounds and now a days I am starting to feel it if I carry him around too much (but he is in front and squirmy).
    My 1st little miracle JAC born 4/8/09- Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker Working on Miracle #2 When the world says "give up." Hope whispers"Try one more time"
  • Options

I hate to even say it, because oh, your poor husband, but...can you both pack into one large backpack and have him carry it? You could carry a small daypack, I can't imagine that would be too much weight. Since it's summer, you won't need a lot in the way of clothing, and if you're willing to bring stuff you can wash out in the sink and hang dry (jersey is a godsend), you can get by with just a few things.

We traveled for 3 months last fall through europe and southeast asia with just a small carry-on each, and a lot of the space was taken up with wetsuits and winter jackets for europe. It can be done!

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat. Take it slow and drink lots of water. 

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I'm sure you're aware, but Italy will be really hot.  Italians usually travel in August as well.  August 15th is a National Holiday, so things will be closed.  Just FYI in case you didn't already know!
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options

imageKaren1998:
    I'm sure you're aware, but Italy will be really hot.  Italians usually travel in August as well.  August 15th is a National Holiday, so things will be closed.  Just FYI in case you didn't already know!

Oh, I know, I'm kinda dreading it (because of the heat as well as the crowds)... but I'm prepared.  I'm a Texan after all!  I plan on spending most of the time at the beach while in Italy so I'm sure it won't be too bad once we get there. :)  Getting to/from our room will require some muscle though!  We leave Milan on the 5th so no worries about holidays.

And to PP's point about combining luggage... I would LOVE to, but we're going to a wedding in Scotland the first part of the trip so all those dressy clothes take up a lot of room even though that's the stuff we'll wear the least.

• Options
    Sounds like an awesome trip! Personally, I wouldn't carry that much weight, but I am a bit paranoid. If I were you, like PP said, I would have DH carry more weight and you just carry a small bag. I think asking your doctor is a good idea.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP 1: 3/19/10 Loss: 7/9/10
    BFP 2: 12/28/10
    My Blog: Losing Sylvia
  • Options
    imageAustinBride06:

imageKaren1998:

Oh, I know, I'm kinda dreading it (because of the heat as well as the crowds)... but I'm prepared.  I'm a Texan after all!  I plan on spending most of the time at the beach while in Italy so I'm sure it won't be too bad once we get there. :)  Getting to/from our room will require some muscle though!  We leave Milan on the 5th so no worries about holidays.

And to PP's point about combining luggage... I would LOVE to, but we're going to a wedding in Scotland the first part of the trip so all those dressy clothes take up a lot of room even though that's the stuff we'll wear the least.

It sounds like a wonderful trip.  Could you ship your wedding clothes back to the US after the wedding?  If you packed just them in one bag and then shipped them back, maybe having YH carry a pack with most of your clothes would work.  

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"