April 2011 Moms
Options

PSA milk storage

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I thought I'd share what works for me.

I transfer my milk from the Medela pump bottles into Lansinoh milk storage bags. I lay them flat in the freezer. Once they are frozen I store them in Johnson's breast pad boxes. The bags fit perfectly in the boxes and the boxes keep my freezer organized. The bags of milk can be thawed in hot water and placed right into Playtex Drop-Ins bottles.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: PSA milk storage

• Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    Thanks for the tip my DH and I were just talking about a better way to store my BM in the freezer.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestion.  I might try this.  What I'm doing is just not working. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    how many ounces do you store per bag?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagerahoogs9:
    how many ounces do you store per bag?

I've been storing 4oz because I'm sure DD drinks at least that. I need to get out DS's baby book to get a better idea of how many oz at each age. I remember eventually storing in 6oz bags because he always took 6oz bottles.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Just thought I would throw out what I do...I use the Lanisoh bags as well.  I purchased a gift bag that is wide enough to stack the bags in lying long ways on their side.  I cut the bag right above the BM bags.  I can fit 50 bags in one gift bag.  Then I stack the gift bags on top of each other (oldest on top).  I can take a picture if anyone wants to see what I am talking about. 

You could also get a plastic storage tote to stand the bags in once frozen flat.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagelauren0515:

Just thought I would throw out what I do...I use the Lanisoh bags as well.  I purchased a gift bag that is wide enough to stack the bags in lying long ways on their side.  I cut the bag right above the BM bags.  I can fit 50 bags in one gift bag.  Then I stack the gift bags on top of each other (oldest on top).  I can take a picture if anyone wants to see what I am talking about. 

You could also get a plastic storage tote to stand the bags in once frozen flat.

Please post a pic! I need a new system after I run out of Medela bags.

• Options
    That's a good idea.  I'm using a cardboard box and I had to search high and low to find one that fit even closely.
  • Options

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I've just recently started producing enough that I've been able to start freezing some, and the bags are currently scattered through our freezer.

SouthSideDrea - I'm really jealous of all of that milk!  I agreed to travel to MO to visit a client one day next month even though I'm on maternity leave until August, and I'm really trying to save up enough milk for the girls for just that one day, let alone building up a hefty stash.

• Options
    imagelauren0515:

Sorry I couldn't get around to this until this morning.  Yesterday was a very fussy day for LO.  Anyways below is a picture of one gift bag full.  Once I start another bag I will put it underneath this one when full.  The milk is oraganized with oldest in front and newest in back.  Another thing that works is an ice cube bucket.  I have not found one wide enough for Lanisoh bags but not sure about other bags. 

When I was trying to find things to work I actually took the lanisoh bag with me to measure against the containers that I wanted to try.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagelauren0515:
    imagelauren0515:

Sorry I couldn't get around to this until this morning.  Yesterday was a very fussy day for LO.  Anyways below is a picture of one gift bag full.  Once I start another bag I will put it underneath this one when full.  The milk is oraganized with oldest in front and newest in back.  Another thing that works is an ice cube bucket.  I have not found one wide enough for Lanisoh bags but not sure about other bags. 

When I was trying to find things to work I actually took the lanisoh bag with me to measure against the containers that I wanted to try.

Wow, this is very neat, I'm jealous! I think I'm going to steal your idea!

• Options
    MegZRNMegZRN member
    I just use plastic storage totes. Works well
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"