Multiples
Options

Dressing multiples alike comment and other rants

So I have to admit, until a certain age, I really think it's cute when multiples are dressed similarly....especially b/g matching outfits.  I know some people like this style and some don't, but I also think it's a matter of personal opinion.  Whatever floats your boat- they are your kids.  BUT, I told a woman at DS's daycare that I was having twins and her first reaction was, "oh, well at least you won't be one of those people who dresses them alike. No one needs to do that."  Huh?  I was totally thrown and had no idea what to say.  Usually it would be no big deal, but I see this woman multiple times a week...and I will continue to do so once the babies are here.  AND I do plan to dress them alike!  There's really no question in this rant, but I just won't be able to not think about this comment every time I see her this winter!  Such a weird first response to the announcement of my having twins!  And as long as I'm ranting, I told a distant family member this weekend that I was expecting twins and her first response was "oh, you know my daughter was expecting twins too, but she lost one a few weeks ago."  Umm...okay?  Now I'm a bit freaked that one of the babies won't be there on tomorrow's u/s.  I'm sure she didn't mean anything by that comment, but geez...I wish she could've just said "Congrats!"    Okay, rants over. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Dressing multiples alike comment and other rants

• Options
    I've been criticized by a twin for not dressing them alike very often. She's an older lady who attends my church, and she says she and her ID twin sis dressed alike until college!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I seriously enjoy dressing my boys alike. I don't know why, but it is just something that I love about having twins. And anyone who has a problem with it can just shove it. Stick out tongue

Enjoy dressing your children however you like. Maybe she'll change her tune once she sees how adorable they are! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People who think dressing twins alike is wrong can SUCK IT!  Haha.  I dress my girls alike all the time and think it's cute as hell.  So screw them!  Stick out tongue

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I really like dressing my boys alike. I think it is a personal preference and you should do as you please. I don't dress them the same every day but alot. Good luck at your ultrasound I am sure it will go great.
    Wonderful daughter born 10/99. Diagnosed autistic/ epileptic. Non- verbal. /////Twins! Born 11/10 @ 29 weeks. 71/2 week NICU stay! Bring on the fun!
  • Options
    I'm a high school teacher and while I was pregnant I asked a set of fraternal twin girls in my class if they liked being dressed alike when they were younger and they told me that they though it was a lot of fun.  I would take their advice over some random women.  I tend to like dressing my boys in the same outfit, but different colors.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Eh, there are so many differing opinions on the topic that I don't really care what other people think ; )  As of right now, it's easiest to just buy 2 of everything and dress the girls alike.  Once they're old enough to care, they can choose what to do.

I love to coordinate our boys (different ages), and it's easy to do with Gymboree clothes because they make whole collections coordinate in different sizes.  It's harder to coordinate (and not match) the girls because they're the same size.

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Options
    MrsLntMrsLnt member

I love dressing my B/G twins alike.  Even if it's not identical outfits, I try to make sure they coordinate in the style of outfit.  So if DD is in a pink smocked dress, DS is in a blue bubble from the same brand.  Or they'll both wear blue like they are today.  I've basically gotten rid of anything that doesn't have a match or coordinating outfit.  I have their closet organized with a section for girl stuff, a section for boy stuff, and a section where I hang all the identical outfits. 

I know my friends think it's ridiculous that I dress my kids up every day but, that's what we've got and, hey, it's fun for me and they'll only let me dress them up like baby dolls for a short time.  Plus it makes for great pictures.  

• Options

I am personally in the camp of "coordinate, don't match" - but that's just me.  I would never criticize someone who matches their twins because, um, I have more important things to worry about.

• Options

I almost always try to coordinate my B/G twins.  I think it is fun and they look so stinkin cute.  I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

And btw, congrats!

Dx with severe endometriosis. DS#1 conceived with Met and TI. TTC#2 for 2.5 yrs. Dx 2nd IF. 4 clomid cycles, 2 IUIs, Finally IVF#1 w/ICSI worked for us! twins born 35w3d. Unexpected total hysterectomy 6/11. Now on the HRT train.

• Options
    I plan on dressing my twin boys in matching or coordinating outfits most of the time.  I think it's cute and don't care what anyone else thinks.  Some people really have no filter when it comes to what they say to pregnant women.
  • Options

imagekimarino13:
    People who think dressing twins alike is wrong can SUCK IT!  Haha.  I dress my girls alike all the time and think it's cute as hell.  So screw them!  Stick out tongue

Oh all of this.

My kids, my money spent on clothes and I think they look damn cute wearing the same thing. Anyone who judges me for dressing my IDENTICAL twins the same can fvck right off.

Smile 

• Options

The woman at DC, who cares, if you want to dress them alike go for it, if you don't, then don't.  IMO, I think you should've just said, "well I do plan on dressing them alike because I think it's cute" so she could eat her words and learn to keep her trap shut.  I think it'll be nice when you dress them alike and she sees because then she'll get the hint that they're YOUR kids and she's not going to be the deciding factor in how you dress them.

As far as the lost 1 twin comment, try not to freak out too much.  Honestly, she probably brought it up because she's hurt that there's going to be a baby missing at Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc.   I couldn't imagine feeling that kind of loss.

• Options

Thanks for everyone's feedback!  I'm actually pretty excited to dress them alike and I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Unfortunately, it's a church daycare so telling her what I was really thinking would've been a bit inappropriate. :)  I guess she'll be surprised when she meets them!

And thanks for the comments on losing a twin.  I can't imagine having that happen, but I'm scared to death now (even if it is irrational).  26 hours til the u/s, but who's counting.... :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ::points at sig:: We dress ours alike as well :D
    Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never thought I'd dress them alike, but yeah, it's cute as hell!  I opt for "coordinating" rather than identical most of the time.
  • Options

I said I wouldn't dress them alike very often, but coordinate instead.

I dress them alike all.the.time.

Honestly, it's like a uniform.  I knowBig Smile what everyone is wearing, and yes...it's CUTE AS HELL!!!

I get comments about it all the time, and honestly I could give a sh#t.  My kids are well dressed and I know it!!!!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I coordinate my B/G twins most days and I love it. My husband loves it as well and, I think, gets almost as excited as I do about it. I try to find coordinating outfits for them whenever I can and I already have a stash of coordinating outfits for my boys to wear this summer once Owen moves up to the next size in clothing.

Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. In the past week and a half we've run into two sets of two year old identical twins and each set was dressed identically. I thought it was adorable.

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options

get used to it- that's not the worst comment I've heard.... people say dumb sh!t all the time about your children when you have twins - it's VERY common.

I would have flat out responded "actually- I think it's cute when they are dressed alike, and plan to do it".... and just leave the conversation - or continue it -and let her know how rude she is :)

I dress my twins alike all the time - and even sometimes dress their older brother like them, too (as i just said in another post- b/c it's easier to find them when we're out somewhere if they are dressed alike).

I don't plan on doing it for too much longer.... once they are older and have opinions about their clothes they can wear what they want - but for now- I like how it looks when they are in the same clothes - and they don't care - so I'm doing it while I still can.

my twins look NOTHING alike- so i think i like them in the same clothes even more than I would if I had ID's - then i'd probably do differen clothes (or differen colors for sure).... but either way - it's opinion - and you will always hear annoying people giving their opinions about your kids.... so you just need to learn to deal with it.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options

I love dressing my boys alike!  Of course, they way they drool and get food all over their outfits, they don't stay dressed alike for long!  It's adorable, and I'll do it as long as I can (basically until they protest.).  I've heard from other MoMs who say their children throw fits if they DON'T dress alike.  One said her sons match everything - down to their underwear. 

I think it's adorable, and I think if people don't like it, they can go have their own set of twins and dress them however they want.  

Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • Options

When my girls were younger I dressed them alike all the time.  When people questioned or commented about it, I told them it was easier to grab two of one outfit than it was to spend the time picking out two outfits.  Also, when we were out and about, it was easier to keep track of them because they were wearing the same thing.  

But, now that my girls are older I want people to be able to easily identify who is who so I dress them differently.  Occasionally they'll match (and they like to match, they always comment on it) but I try to coordinate over matching when possible. 

• Options
    heyleeheylee member
    I dress mine in the same outfit but different colors of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"