Parenting after a Loss
Options

First day back at work = fail

I had everything packed up but my cooler pack and ice packs for my milk.

I packed it up this morning, put it on the counter with the storage bottles in it....yep, you guessed it. I left it there.

So I have nowhere to store the pumped milk and no way to keep it cool.

First day of trying to pump = pump and dump.

::cries::

Plus, it took 2+ hours to get my computer back online despite them having "fixed" the problem last month...

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First day back at work = fail

• Options
    Ugh how frustrating and sad about BM! There isn't a refrigerator that you can store the milk in just for today? Maybe go to the store at lunch and get a cheap cooler and a bag of ice?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh, that sucks.

Isn't there a convenient store near your work where you could buy some small water bottles to empty then store the milk in and a bag of frozen peas or something to keep them cool?  I think you could work something out.  Some places even sell those insulated grocery bags. 

Plus you can leave breast milk unrefrigerated for 4-6 hours, so even if you couldn't cool it, at least your afternoon pumping session should last till you get home, no?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh you poor girl. I'm sorry!
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry that you're having a rough day.  ((HUGS))  I hope things get better from here on out.

Lilah Eve---our angel in heaven: Born sleeping 12/2/09 @ 28w3d. We love you and miss you everyday, little angel.
    Isabella Faith---Born 12/17/10 via c-section.
    Abigail Marie---Born 11/16/12 via c-section
  • Options
    imagewitch_city_wife:

Oh, that sucks.

Isn't there a convenient store near your work where you could buy some small water bottles to empty then store the milk in and a bag of frozen peas or something to keep them cool?  I think you could work something out.  Some places even sell those insulated grocery bags. 

Plus you can leave breast milk unrefrigerated for 4-6 hours, so even if you couldn't cool it, at least your afternoon pumping session should last till you get home, no?

This!  Damn girl, today just sucks all around.  

• Options

Ok, I went to CVS and got a cheap bottle and a cooler bag.

I didn't have lids for the bottles I was pumping into since those were in my cooler bag too with the storage bottles, so I couldn't use those to store.

My plan is to pour it into the bottle I bought, leave that bottle on my desk until the next session, then add that milk in, then put it in the community fridge just for today. I'll skip the last session and just try to leave early to get home and nurse her instead.

But I think the stress of being back/unfamiliar place/not being comfortable in the conference room is hurting my supply. I couldn't get a second let down to happen so I only got 4 and a bit oz instead of the 5 I need per session and the 7 I had been getting when I pump at home.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options

Oh no!  Don't dump it, you can leave it at room temp for a few hours like pp said.  The pedi even said 8 hours is fine. 

I did something similar my first day back but we have a fridge in the mother's room.

• Options
    imagemomagain2009:

Oh no!  Don't dump it, you can leave it at room temp for a few hours like pp said.  The pedi even said 8 hours is fine. 

Yep this. The LC at work even says up to 10 hours at room temp before it has to be refrigerated.  I'm sorry you're having a rough first day back!  ((hugs))

BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageSonadora:

Ok, I went to CVS and got a cheap bottle and a cooler bag.

I didn't have lids for the bottles I was pumping into since those were in my cooler bag too with the storage bottles, so I couldn't use those to store.

My plan is to pour it into the bottle I bought, leave that bottle on my desk until the next session, then add that milk in, then put it in the community fridge just for today. I'll skip the last session and just try to leave early to get home and nurse her instead.

But I think the stress of being back/unfamiliar place/not being comfortable in the conference room is hurting my supply. I couldn't get a second let down to happen so I only got 4 and a bit oz instead of the 5 I need per session and the 7 I had been getting when I pump at home.

You'll need to give it some time and definitely push lots of fluids meanwhile. It'll help once you get into a rhythm. If you can look at a slideshow of your DD while you're pumping, that actually really helps. And lots and lots of breast compressions. I get significantly more milk when I squeeze the tatas.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sorry hon.  You will get into more of a routine over time and have fewer such FAILs.  Try not to count ounces this early since your pumping output will likely pick up over time too as your body gets used to the routine too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"