Working Moms
Options

nanny vs. daycare

I'm going back to work part-time and am having complete anxiety over leaving our girls.  They will be with DH for some of the time. we were hoping all of the time, but realistically we would all be better off if we had some help two days per week.  I'm feeling like I'd be more comfortable with the girls in a school-type daycare and have found one that we like, but am doubting our decision and am wondering if maybe a nanny would be a better option.

unfortunately I'm not very trusting....and want to be able to feel comfortable leaving them with someone, but am not sure how I feel about a nanny (ie stranger) being home alone with my kids.  I'm also concerned about the constant sickness/runny noses from daycare. 

any thoughts? please share your experiences, the good and the bad.  I'm in serious need of some guidance!

tia

Re: nanny vs. daycare

• Options

We've done both...DC for the first 3 years, then nanny the last 2 1/2.  What I've found is there is no "perfect" choice. There will always be pro's and con's. With 2 or more, it seems nanny can potentially be a more cost effective choice, but then once you add in other social/educational activities (e.g. preschool), it may not be so.

I agree it's hard to trust someone and I WFH! Just make sure to ask lots of questions, ask for refeences and contact them too!

• Options

Well, remember, your DH was a stranger to you too at one point in your life.  And any daycare provider will be a stranger - nanny or in a center.

We've also done both.  But in the reverse.  We had a PT nanny for the first 2 years, but once DS hit 2, we really wanted to get him around other kids and into new environments.  So we found an in-home daycare right on our street - and it's been great. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"