Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Feminine 'stuff' explanation?

Several times now DD has seen my boxes of tampons in the bathroom cabinet and asks me what they are (or pads).  I always kind of just brush it off (like oh that's mommy's) but it seems like it is starting not to be enough of an explanation.

Do any of you offer your DC an explanation?  And what do you say? 

Or would you just be more careful about hiding stuff?

Re: Feminine 'stuff' explanation?

• Options
    Anytime Harmon discovers my personal drawer just tell them this is for Mommie's when they get older.  At this age I don't see a big deal in needing to hide it or explaining it.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    I just tell DD that it's for girls to use when they get older.  Then she usually makes a comment that she can't wait to get older so she can use them too and I just laugh and think "if you only knew..."  So far she's been ok with that explanation.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefranciscaz:
    Anytime Harmon discovers my personal drawer just tell them this is for Mommie's when they get older.  At this age I don't see a big deal in needing to hide it or explaining it.

That's also what I say. She's fine with that level of explanation.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member

imagefranciscaz:

Yep, I say this too and that seems to suffice for now.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

We call it "Mommy Toilet Paper" in our house.  When my DD was about 3, she saw my sister's stash of tampons on a family vacation.  It never even fazed my DD that my sister wasn't a "mommy!"

When she was ready to hear about puberty, I explained what Mommy Toilet Paper really is and why we need it.   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

imageApril37:
    I just tell DD that it's for girls to use when they get older.  Then she usually makes a comment that she can't wait to get older so she can use them too and I just laugh and think "if you only knew..."  So far she's been ok with that explanation.

Ditto. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Between DD1 and DD2, they are both in and out of the bathroom while I'm in there, and when I'm having my period, DD1 notices. She notices the pads, and that there's blood in the toilet when I flush. 

I just explained that yes, it's blood, but that I'm not hurt. That mamas have periods, and that's what this blood means, that I'm having a period. I leave it at that. 

I'll add to the explanation as necessary and/or as she seems to want more info. I remember being a little kid and finding a toilet-bowl full of blood one time when my mom had forgotten to flush. I was horribly upset and convinced she was dying. So I'd rather have my DDs be aware, at least in a very general sense, that this is a normal thing.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

My DD calls them mommy's diapers and knows that mommy uses them with her 'pierwad'

• Options

I just tell her its for mommy and she will need it when she gets older. Sometimes she asks why and I explain when she gets older her body changes and will need these items once a month. That was good enough for her....for now. 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards