Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

How to handle tantrums outside?

If your toddler throws the mother of all tantrums outside the house how do you handle it?  How do you get them back in the car seat so you can head home?  N threw the biggest tantrum at ShopRite tonight.  I was leaving checking out. DH was with him at the time and he's not the best at heading off a on coming tantrum. I have not idea what sparked this episode.  But, N was crying, screaming, kicking, the whole works - when he gets like this it's very hard to calm him down.  I managed to get him to the car.  But, there was no way I could get him into his car seat.  He was fighting it with all his might.  So, I let him have it for a few minutes on the floor of the car.  DH finally had enough and forced N into the seat as he held him and strapped him in.  People were stopping to see what was going on.  It was bad.  What can I do differently next time? Beside leaving them both at home when I go to the store.
imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How to handle tantrums outside?

• Options
    my Dh tends to get really frustrated with DS when he thows tantrums and it just makes everything worse. sometimes i grab DS's face and get him to make eye contact with me. i calmly ask him what is wrong and offer him a hug. sometimes its as simple as 'im thirsty mommy', other times i have to explain to him why he cant do/have something. A lot of times my more understanding approach stops a tantrum in its tracks, but once it a while it doesnt. in that case, i just leave him on the floor or wherever. i completely ignore him. yeah its embarrassing and people stare and probably make rude comments about me, but i want DS to know that his behavior wont get my attention.

7 Angels in Heaven, 1 In My Arms

12/24/07 D&C (12 weeks)
    2/08 MC (5 weeks)
    5/08 PA (7 weeks)
    9/08 VTS (6 weeks)
    7/09 MC (5 weeks)
    8/10 MC (UKN)
    6/7/11 CP (UKN)

*CM PIP Girl* image
  • Options
    DS is like this daily. DD was in preschool twice a week and every time I put him in the car I'd have to carry him under my arm like a football while he kicked and screamed. Then I'd put him into his seat and have to hold him in to get him buckled. I did this twice a week, twice each time for 9mos. People can stare all they want. At first I'd get rude comments from people. Now I just focus on DS and getting him into the seat so he could kick and scream while contained. I'm not sure what you can really do differently. I think you handled it just fine. I try to keep distractions in my pockets, purse and car. Such as a favorite toy. It doesn't always work but he will eventually calm down. Hang in there!
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"