July 2011 Moms
Options

For thoes having DD's...Ear peirceing?

2»

Re: For thoes having DD's...Ear peirceing?

• Options
    imageaesf:

imageMommyTwoTimes:
    I think it's a manifestation of the MOTHER's vanity and has nothing to do with the baby at all. It's another expression of babies being less than a whole person and more like an accessory to show off. I don't see the point in causing needless pain to a baby just because you think it "looks cute."

Holy judgemental batman.

I may, I haven't decided.  For the record, my reasoning has nothing to do with cuteness. I have a ton of metal allergies and can hardly afford to wear earrings.  I think peircing her ears her ears early would help build an immunity to such allergies and allow her more selection when she's older... unless we become miraculously rich b/c otherwise she'll probably have to share my 3 platinum earrings until she's employed.

On the other hand I'd rather her ask and take care of them herself.  So I can't decided.  I love the idea of helping her build an immunity to gold and silver b/c i really miss it but at the same time its a big permanant decision to make for your kid (those wholes won't close if she wants them too)

Haha, but ear piercing for toddlers is along  the same lines as botox for 8 year olds. It's SCANDALOUS 

• Options
    jdm7jdm7 member
    imageaesf:

I may, I haven't decided.  For the record, my reasoning has nothing to do with cuteness. I have a ton of metal allergies and can hardly afford to wear earrings.  I think piercing her ears her ears early would help build an immunity to such allergies and allow her more selection when she's older... unless we become miraculously rich b/c otherwise she'll probably have to share my 3 platinum earrings until she's employed.

On the other hand I'd rather her ask and take care of them herself.  So I can't decided.  I love the idea of helping her build an immunity to gold and silver b/c i really miss it but at the same time its a big permanant decision to make for your kid (those wholes won't close if she wants them too)

I had my ears pierced at age 1 or 2 and sadly, the metal allergy was very apparent and I've never built up an immunity towards it. I have 2 pairs of 14K gold posts and I can wear them every once and awhile.

I personally wouldn't pierce my baby's ears until 1) she can take care of them herself and 2) because if she has the allergy I have, its not worth it to find out when she's 2 yrs old...  

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I figure on at least waiting until DD is mostly upright, but more likely until she's 5-7 and has some kind of decision making ability. I told my mom I wanted them at around 4-5 and I got them, and it was no big deal. Honestly, I don't see how an infant could be comfortable with them, though. With how sensitive their skin is and how much time they spend napping/crawling, it seems like they'd get in the way, irritate the ears and head, and just be a big ol' PITA.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't judge parents who choose to do it and I think it looks cute*, but personally I want to wait until she's older so we can make a special day of it. I had mine pierced at age 12 and I still remember what a fun day it was.

*However, damabo makes an excellent point about the earring backs poking your head when you sleep. I would hate to think of our little girl being uncomfortable when she can't express what the problem is.

• Options
    imageMommyTwoTimes:
    imageaesf:

imageMommyTwoTimes:
    I am admittedly judgmental about this. It hurts and the baby doesn't NEED to have it done. Period.

well if you can admit you are judgemental about something that makes it ok and not something you should be working on in yourself.  You know, like racists.  Its bad to be a racist, but its totally ok if you can admit it... right?

Well, that's quite the leap. People are judgmental about all kinds of things - smoking, homeschooling, formula feeding... and I happen to judge people who hurt their kids out of their own vanity. I'm allowed my opinion. When someone makes a post about a polarizing topic, they realize they're going to get others' opinions. You might see piercing a baby's ears as a "personal choice," but to me, it goes beyond that. It's hurting a baby for no good reason. 

You make it sound like people who choose to do this should be charged with child abuse. Its not beating them, its not going to cause them to go into counseling some day, its barely painful & they barely notice.

Ive seen several infants get theirs done. They hate being held still so they cry, then the little pinch cry for another second & then a pacifier or bottle & they stop crying all together. Within 1 minute its done & over with.

Its not like we're holding them down & ripping their hair out because we like bald babies or breaking their arm because we think little casts are cute.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebunnybiter:
    imageKateB1984:

I want to wait until my DD is old enough to ask for them and want them done (and agree to cooperate with the maintenance). I begged for them for my 3rd birthday (which I think is quite young) and my parents let me have them. My niece just got them for her 5th birthday, and she'd been asking for at least 1.5 years and is really good about letting my SIL clean them. I think sometime between 4-8, depending on if my DD is even interested.

My thoughts as well. Though I'm not having a girl, I'm with the mindset that waiting until the child wants them is best. I remember getting mine done at four and I had to take care of them myself, which made me appreciate it all the more. I'm just not a fan of babies with earrings.

I agree. I wasn't allowed to get mine done until I was 11 or 12 and I had to beg for months. DH & I have already agreed to wait until later elementary school. Of course, once I turned 18, I went crazy and got 6 more piercings in my ears. Embarrassed

• Options
    my ears were pierced before i knew i had ears and i am thankful to my mom for doing that for me. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    Definitely not until she's older/asks for it. And I'm also judge-y about this but for a different reason...it just reeks of tackiness to me. Along the same lines as those awful headbands with bows that people put on their infant girls.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"