Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Would you go?

My DH got an email for hotel and tickets to Disney World for 4 nights for a decent price.  The only thing is we'd have to go Aug. 12-16.  I'm a teacher and have to go back to work on the 17th of Aug.  We'd be driving so that is a 15hr car ride too, there and back.  I'm just worried about it being really hot and then stressing about returning to work the day after a 15hr. car ride.  Plus my last semester of grad school starts that week too.  Would you go or wait until another time?  Decisions, decisions, decisions. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Would you go?

• Options

Can you save for airline tickets in time? I don't think I'd want to drive for hours and hours in the heat the day before starting such a demanding job. I wouldn't mind doing it if I could fly, though.

ETA: You could also just leave a day early...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

I've lived in Orlando for the last 7 years, and you couldn't pay me to go to the theme parks in the summer time. We have annual passes and we're done going until the end of September, at the earliest. Way too hot and crowded. Although being a teacher your options for vacation times may be limited.

Disney is almost always offering deals on their vacation packages, so I wouldn't feel too stressed that it's a now or never decision.

Hawaii
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jsugrinjsugrin member
    I really would depend on how great the deal was.  Super incredible cheap and yeah I'd be there, middle of the road then probably not.  Another option if you really want to go is to Priceline flights.  If you haven't ever done it, it's really easy.  The bummer is you only get to pick the day you fly, not the time at all so that may not work.  Last time I did it, was to fly to Key West, FL from Northern Ca.  Tickets were around $800 and I did tickets for my dad and I, scored at $250 each!
  • Options

How demanding is your first day back?  I teach as well, and that first day is usually stacked with dull meetings.  If I wasn't on top of my game, it would be okay.

However, I do try to avoid having a vacation end right before work, because the end of vacation involves out-of-sorts kids, laundry, restocking the house with groceries, etc., and once you're back to school for pre-service week, it gets harder to handle that increased housekeeping load.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

I'm assuming these are admin days and not the first day of school and that you can prepare your classroom (or its already prepared) prior to leaving on the trip.  In that case, I would consider going (esp if you can fly instead of drive...any chance at getting good flights?)  Also, are you teaching the same grade?  No major switches, right?

We went in August.  I was 17 wks pregnant with #3 AND it wasn't THAT bad. We got to do most that we wanted to do despite it being crowded. It was exhausting, hot, and we did drive 9 hours from AL (and then turned around and did 12 to Texas a couple of days later!!).  My DD was totally in the princess stage (just about to turn 4) and it was so magical for her.  Her face during the princess breakfast and during meeting the princesses made the trip so worth it.   I can't wait to go again next summer!!

I too hate going back to work the day after--because of the same issues mentioned by the pp but its still doable.  When would you be able to go again, next summer? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I would go.  You don't do much the first week of going back to school anyway.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

I would go!  We travel a lot and the first day back is always rough for us (especially when we get in late and the kids are a little off kilter) but for the memories it is worth it.  It takes a couple days to bounce back but all of us always do.

Also if it is just you getting back late that you are worried about I like PP's idea of saving for a ticket.  

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    I would go. I teach and if those are the days before the students then I could drag for a bit before the real torture begins.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"