3rd Trimester
Options

What to do about swollen feet?

I haven't had an issue at all until I hit 31 weeks, then they started slowly getting bigger. At 32 weeks I couldn't wear my ring anymore. Now my feet and fingers are swollen like you wouldn't believe. Giant sausages! My husband cringes each time he sees my ankles because they're so big he thinks it must be painful. One is always swollen, while the other not so much, but still swells.

Anyways, what on earth am I supposed to do to keep the swelling down? And why does one get bigger than the other? Is it perhaps because I favor that side when I sleep? Keeping my feet up is pretty impossible, we're moving and I'm on them most of the day, and when I'm not I do keep them elevated. It's getting so bad I can't put my shoes on some days, they just don't fit.

Re: What to do about swollen feet?

• Options
    Lots of fluids, try to stay off your feet. It shouldnt be hard now that you are this far along in your pregnancy, just say you need to prop your feet up. Its not good for you to over do it right now. try to stay cool, heat makes it worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Drink as much water as you can, add lots of real lemon (almost so much that you cant stand it) You will lose the water weight really quickly!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I start to swell I make myself keep my feet up. I know it's hard but that's really the only thing that helps. I also drink lots of water.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I stand all day doing hair and my left foot is always more swollen than my right.. I was wondering why one foot would be more swollen too.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Watermelon is a fantastic, natural diuretic.

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Options

Ditto PPs.  Lots of water, put your feet up (above your heart is best), reduce sodium intake, avoid celery (it makes you retain water), foot pumps while you have your feet up will help with circulation, submersing in a pool also helps.

Don't try to shove your already swollen feet into tennis shoes unless you talk to your doc.  Initially when my swelling wasn't bad my doc had me wear tennis shoes, which helped, but my swelling got so severe that the tennis shoes were cutting off the circulation to my feet.  I've been wearing only flip flops since 30 weeks per doctor orders, even at work.

I've heard lemon, watermelon, other melons and asparagus will all help you pee out some of the fluid, I don't know if it actually helps.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Water, feet up, and asparagus helped me. I had been wearing nothing but flip flops since about 32 weeks. Because I'm so close to my due date, I've been getting reflexology foot massages every other day (I have a good friend that does them for me for free - she's a saint) and I'm back to my "pre-pregnancy" feet! It's AMAZING. Now if only this baby would come on out....
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"