DS had allergic reaction — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

DS had allergic reaction

To peanut butter :(  I decided to go for it today since we were packing a picnic lunch to take to the river.  The recommendations have changed (Wholesomebabyfood.com had it at between 6mths to 2 years) and we have no history of food allergies on either side.  However, I did it even though DS has had little patches of eczema (believe me, I have flamed myself plenty today).  10 minutes after he had probably a half tsp worth of peanut butter (he fed most of his quarter sandwich to the dog), he had whelps all around his mouth (which eventually turned into left side of face and all over his body).  He is ok, thank goodness, and I think I am too now but now I'm concerned. 

I feel like I messed up big time.  If we wait now before we re-introduce it (if we do that), is it likely he'll outgrow it?  The pediatrician on call told me the dose of benadryl and to follow up this week - that they'll likely do allergy testing and prescribe him an epi pen. 

I just have so many questions and then feel like an idiot on top of that.  

image
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: DS had allergic reaction

  • My DD ate PB for about 8 weeks off and on and then one day had a reaction.  We had her tested and she was positive for a peanut allergy.  We carry an epi-pen everywhere we go now.  She's ingestion and to the touch, so if anyone has any peanut substance on them and they touch her, she'll break out in hives.  We also found out she's allergic to a bunch of seasonal things, some animals, grass, molds, etc.  She gets immunotherapy shots every 3 weeks and they really seem to help her with those.  Her eczema completely cleared up once she started the shots and that was almost a year ago. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • You can't blame yourself for an allergy popping up.  One of the ladies I work with just had her 12 yr old become allergic to peanuts and almonds.  She said one day she was eating peanut m&m's and then a week later, had some more and had a reaction.  We were surprised at the age.  If she wasn't a RN I probably would have thought she was overreacting.  They confirmed the allergy though.  
  • image cmh06:
    My DD ate PB for about 8 weeks off and on and then one day had a reaction.  We had her tested and she was positive for a peanut allergy.  We carry an epi-pen everywhere we go now.  She's ingestion and to the touch, so if anyone has any peanut substance on them and they touch her, she'll break out in hives.  We also found out she's allergic to a bunch of seasonal things, some animals, grass, molds, etc.  She gets immunotherapy shots every 3 weeks and they really seem to help her with those.  Her eczema completely cleared up once she started the shots and that was almost a year ago. 

    Thanks for sharing your experience!  I was worried since he already had a little eczema...and then I have a ton of seasonal allergies (I never finished my series - gulp) but a food allergy is a first in our families...  Do you find it very challenging?  I'm so upset about it now I think I'm giving up peanut butter - not sure I can eat it again after what happened to DS!

    image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image hollace:
    You can't blame yourself for an allergy popping up.  One of the ladies I work with just had her 12 yr old become allergic to peanuts and almonds.  She said one day she was eating peanut m&m's and then a week later, had some more and had a reaction.  We were surprised at the age.  If she wasn't a RN I probably would have thought she was overreacting.  They confirmed the allergy though.  

    Thanks - I need to keep hearing that!  DH is cool with the whole matter (he was obviously concerned but just not worked up like me).  He keeps telling me the same as you...I just keep questioning if I did introduce it too soon...but what's done is done, he's ok and we're on to step 2. 

    image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image membrn:

    image cmh06:
    My DD ate PB for about 8 weeks off and on and then one day had a reaction.  We had her tested and she was positive for a peanut allergy.  We carry an epi-pen everywhere we go now.  She's ingestion and to the touch, so if anyone has any peanut substance on them and they touch her, she'll break out in hives.  We also found out she's allergic to a bunch of seasonal things, some animals, grass, molds, etc.  She gets immunotherapy shots every 3 weeks and they really seem to help her with those.  Her eczema completely cleared up once she started the shots and that was almost a year ago. 

    Thanks for sharing your experience!  I was worried since he already had a little eczema...and then I have a ton of seasonal allergies (I never finished my series - gulp) but a food allergy is a first in our families...  Do you find it very challenging?  I'm so upset about it now I think I'm giving up peanut butter - not sure I can eat it again after what happened to DS!

     

    I haven't given up peanut butter myself, I love peanut butter!  If I make a sandwich I make it after DD goes to bed and I use disposable utensils,etc  so that I can throw them away and DD won't accidentally touch them.  I make sure I wash my hands really good.  We don't like nuts in anything so that hasn't been a problem.  We're just cautious about when we go out and make sure that nothing has nuts in it and that our servers know about her allergy.  

    I was upset that maybe I gave DD peanut butter too early (even thought her ped. said it was okay), but the allergist said it was already in her system and that it would have come out sooner or later.  I'm a teacher, so I've been around a lot of kids with food allergies, so I've been aware of how to handle them for a while and I think it has made it easier to adjust to it.   

    We're hoping that when they retest her this summer, that her levels have gone down and that she'll eventually grow out of it.  

    Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • kastlekastle member

    I ditto w/ not blaming yourself.  allergies are weird.  i know it's not exactly the same thing, but my half-brother, almost the day he turned 7 years old, became *violently* allergic to dogs.  As in, one week he visited his gparents (who had like 5 dogs) and the next week after 2 minutes, he was itching his eyes, breaking out into a rash, etc.

    It's not your fault.  You couldn't do anything to prevent it.

  • DD's DCP is a nut-free facility so we send sunflower seed butter, just something to think about if you want an alternative and it was NOT your fault!

     

  • Ugh, that sucks. I have no idea what to do about introducing peanuts and nuts. There's so much conflicting information out there. It's not your fault. No one knows what causes these allergies, not even medical experts. I'm glad your son's reaction didn't require an ER visit.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You didn't mess up.  We had a similar experience with eggs.  We were out of town and gave DD some avocado and she broke out in hives, so we thought she was allergic to avocado (weird).  And then a few months later we fed her an egg, which she loved, but then she broke out again all over her body, eyes swelled shut, vomited in her sleep, etc.  It was traumatic!  And then we realized that the avocado we fed her months ago was on a plate with eggs.  We had her tested at the doc and she's severely allergic to eggs.  No food allergies for either side of our family, so it was weird.  Thank goodness she didn't have trouble breathing!  But the whole ordeal was super scary.  And, now I need to learn vegan baking.  The doc says she may not grow out of it since she scored pretty high with their allergy test.  Ugh.  GL and hang in there!  It'll be ok!
  • image membrn:

    image hollace:
    You can't blame yourself for an allergy popping up.  One of the ladies I work with just had her 12 yr old become allergic to peanuts and almonds.  She said one day she was eating peanut m&m's and then a week later, had some more and had a reaction.  We were surprised at the age.  If she wasn't a RN I probably would have thought she was overreacting.  They confirmed the allergy though.  

    Thanks - I need to keep hearing that!  DH is cool with the whole matter (he was obviously concerned but just not worked up like me).  He keeps telling me the same as you...I just keep questioning if I did introduce it too soon...but what's done is done, he's ok and we're on to step 2. 

     

    Don't blame yourself.  If you would have waited to introduce it, you would have just been delaying a reaction.

    I do know a couple of people that had kids that were allergic to peanuts and they did outgrow it when they were tested again at the age of 5.  It is possible! 

    Lauren,
    Mackenzie Beth 10.26.05 Ian James 08.09.08 Rhys Edward 07.05.10 William Brendan 04.17.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards