February 2011 Moms

nanny

has anybody out there hired a nanny rather than bringing baby to a daycare.  We have a neighbor who's daughter has a 1 year old son and would be interested in nannying for us as long as she could bring her son along (she's a SAHM).  I'm just curious if any of you are doing this and if so how much you pay and how you worked out all the logisitics
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: nanny

• We had someone come in on-call. We paid $20/day, since we usually only needed her 1-3 days a week and it was easier to do it by the day, to figure out how much we owed her. That rate of pay is pretty normal for any daycare situation in my area.

Unfortunately, we had a terrible experience doing this... she ended up being fired after less than a month, due mostly to the fact that her boyfriend verbally assaulted me (and interrupted a nursing session with my daughter to do so). 

I liked having someone come here, it was convenient, but I get nervous about my dogs with people so unless it's family, it probably won't happen again. Right now she goes to DH's cousin's house on the days that we need a sitter.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went back to work last week and we have a sitter coming to the house. We pay her $75/day she is not very experienced but I have known her since she was little and can trust that LO is being lovingly cared for. I leave a list of approved activities for his awake time and so far it is working out fine. We did a few trial runs to see if she was compatible and I recommend doing this. I work a mix from home, outside office and sometimes I travel. When I work from home she is here and is also willing to travel with me if I choose to bring LO on trips. Since I don't have a set schedule some days she is there 10 hours and some less than 6. I want to make sure she is paid enough that she won't look for something else. I would be willing to pay up $500/week btw we live in NYC and the day care we are on the waiting list for is a shocking $2400/mo. I do want him to go to DC but when he's older and can enjoy the interaction. I love the flexibility, especially since DS sleeps from 10pm-10am I don't have to wake him early to feed and dress etc. I also have two dogs and she walks them too and they have become used to her (but she is a dog person). GL
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • we have a family friend  who is watching our LO two days a week. She said we didnt have to pay her, but thats just crazy. So we are thinking about 250-300 for a month so about 60-75$ a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm back at work 2 days a week so we used care.com to find someone for those days. We had a great experience and received 40 replies to our posting, interviewed 5 people and found someone we really love. We pay 80/ day but could have probable paid less if we were willing to have a SAHM come over with her child. We just decided we wanted to spoil G with attention for now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just hired what I call a 'mother's helper'.  Someone who I can leave LO with but mostly she's here with me so that I can exercise at home & run the house & go to the store with her or leave LO in the car with her.  I only did it for 3 days a week from 9a-1p.  The range here is $8-10 per hr.  She's a friend's daughter home for the college summer.  Here everyone's college daughter wants to babysit for the summer so it's very easy to get somebody.  She starts tomorrow & I can't wait!!!!
  • We pay one of my friends who is a SAHM with a 3 year old son, but we bring LO to her house. Its easier that way for all of us. We pay her $120 a week for 4 days- 2 of the days are 730am-530pm and 2 of the days are 12pm-530pm. Daycare centers here for a baby under one years old average $350 a week, and most of the in home day care centers are around $200 a week.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We sort of have a nanny.  It's a woman who only cares for Audrey, but at her own apartment.  My DH drops A off around 8:30 am and I pick her up around 5 pm.  We pay $175 a week.  Daycare centers around here are between $250-325 a week for an infant, so it's a great deal for us.  She is thinking about taking on another infant, and if she does, our rate drops to $150/week.  I would think you should pay around that or maybe a little less to have a SAHM watch your child along with their own.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• One of my friends in in school and was looking for a flexible job. We hired her as our nanny. She has some experience and use to nanny a few years back with two families. She comes to our house and stays 7:30-5pm. She doesn't clean or anything but does tiddy up the baby's stuff. We pay her $250 a week. It's the same cost as the daycare center we were going to take Hannah. We pay her for a full week even if she dosen't work the whole week and we pay for 2 weeks of vacation a year. So far it's working out wonderful. It's great not having to wake Hannah up in the morning if she wants to sleep in plus all of her toys are at home and I don't have to worry about packing things up in the morning. I do worry a little, but since we know her and have for years I feel better about her watching our LO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • cgr8979cgr8979 member
    If you want to pm me feel free. I use to be a nanny for over 10 years. So, I've got quite a bit of experience on this topic. I also will be starting back to work and will be bringing my daughter to a nanny job. So, I will also have experience on this end as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"