Two Under 2

For those with 3+ kids: kind of car?

I am struggling with the thought that we may have to get a "minivan". I have always said "no minivan!" lol 

With 3 small ones in car seats I just don't know what else is going to be functional. I looked at the GMC Acadia and it could work but the 3rd row doesn't have the latch system so I'd have to seatbelt in the toddler carseats. We looked at the Honda Pilot and the 3rd row is not functional for me. We caved and looked at the Odessy and loved the options inside...just not ready to be a minivan mom ;)

Any other options? I'm really not comfortable in huge vehicles. We plan on having a 4th so I will eventually have 4 in carseats/booster seats for the next 10 years at least (law here is booster seat till age 8!).  

My DH has a Navigator and plans on keeping it. My little Mazda CX-7 isn't making the cut :( 

Re: For those with 3+ kids: kind of car?

• We actually JUST bought the pilot on Thursday. We wavered between that and the Odyssey for awhile. Our 3rd isn't hear yet but I installed the infant seat in the middle of the 2nd row just to see and there was actually plenty of room for our 3 carseats without using the 3rd row. Ds#1 will be almost 4 when the new baby comes so I am pretty comfortable putting him in the 3rd row if necessary. The payment on the odyssey was going to be about $45 more a month and I SAH so it made a difference to us.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lkf041lkf041 member
    Ugh... we are in your shoes but I'm leaning toward the van.  I never thought I'd get a van, esp. before I was 30 yrs, but a van seems the most reasonable.  For me being able to get from the front seat to the back seat is key.  Also, the sliding doors and crap load of options are going to force me to get one.  I have a Honda CRV right now and there is no way it's making the cut!
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honda Odyssey.

Things I love:

--sliding doors, easiest open ever esp when you have a 10 mo old in an infant seat, a toddler prone to running off and whiney 4 year old

--I also love that the doors don't open out because my kids sure will knock someones car on accident 

--holy # of cup holders- its the best when you are on a long trip

--trunk space, i can fit my double & single stroller plus groceries! You don't get that in a SUV

--DVD player & seat warmers are nice

--adjustable seat belts (i'm short)

--I once read boosters are not safe in the back seat of a 3rd roq SUV, and if the latch is only in the front....your oldest will not be "safe" 

--the latch is available in the captain's and one in the back 

--I can get to the back relatively easy (although don't put a infant seat back there, its hard!!)

--extra seating because my DD is now of the age of taking a friend along! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just go with a mini-van.    You won't regret it.   I was a Never to the mini-van kind of girl, but it just seemed like the most economical to buy and run choice.
  • I don't have three yet but we're planning on a third. We got a Toyota Sienna in January. Best decision we ever made! I can't imagine not having it. There's nothing better for car seats, either, especially if you have more than two of them installed at one time.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • imageTonya&Cody:

I am struggling with the thought that we may have to get a "minivan". I have always said "no minivan!" lol 

With 3 small ones in car seats I just don't know what else is going to be functional. I looked at the GMC Acadia and it could work but the 3rd row doesn't have the latch system so I'd have to seatbelt in the toddler carseats. We looked at the Honda Pilot and the 3rd row is not functional for me. We caved and looked at the Odessy and loved the options inside...just not ready to be a minivan mom ;)

Any other options? I'm really not comfortable in huge vehicles. We plan on having a 4th so I will eventually have 4 in carseats/booster seats for the next 10 years at least (law here is booster seat till age 8!).  

My DH has a Navigator and plans on keeping it. My little Mazda CX-7 isn't making the cut :( 

We keep going back and forth and just looking. We are only at #2 but will have 3 or 4 in car seats for a while. Have you thought about the CX-9? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Seriously, get the minivan. I was SOOOOO against it. DH had to convince me, and I love it. It makes life easy with the sliding doors etc. DS climbs into his seat and its great. We can also fit company in the back when my mom comes in town. 

I am glad we got it, bc we want 4 kids and now we can fit all 4 and not have to switch cars. Oh and the minivan is great for long trips too. LOVE it. You wont regret it.  

• - The 2011 Odessy had latch in all seats of the 2nd & 3rd row so I know I'd be able to arrange them pretty much in whatever car seat combo I want. I'd definitely have the infant in the 2nd row not sure about the toddlers yet.

- I have mentioned the CX-9 to my husband but he said the 3rd row is tiny. I haven't gone to look tho.

- I haven't looked at the Sienna yet, it's next on the list for comparison.  

• imageCaitlinJ22:

Seriously, get the minivan. I was SOOOOO against it. DH had to convince me, and I love it. It makes life easy with the sliding doors etc. DS climbs into his seat and its great. We can also fit company in the back when my mom comes in town. 

I am glad we got it, bc we want 4 kids and now we can fit all 4 and not have to switch cars. Oh and the minivan is great for long trips too. LOVE it. You wont regret it.  

thanks Caitlin ;) I just need to get over the "minivan" image i've always had. lol. I do see a ton of them out on the road. It's probably the route we will go. 

• imageTonya&Cody:
    imageCaitlinJ22:

Seriously, get the minivan. I was SOOOOO against it. DH had to convince me, and I love it. It makes life easy with the sliding doors etc. DS climbs into his seat and its great. We can also fit company in the back when my mom comes in town. 

thanks Caitlin ;) I just need to get over the "minivan" image i've always had. lol. I do see a ton of them out on the road. It's probably the route we will go. 

I think almost all of the things I said I would NEVER do as a mom, I have ;) I always said...NO minivan, absolutely not...well with 2 u 2, or 3 or 4, what are your options? I wouldnt want to have to stick my infant or child in through the back of an SUV to get them in the third row. A minivan is necessary IMO ;) 

PLus I think harrietNJ said once, that the doors of an SUV are huge and when opened by a child they can smack the car nxt to you, so yo have to worry about getting a wide enough parking space...with a minivan you dont have to worry about the amt of space, you press open and they slide out of the way. Easy! 

good luck ;) 

• My BIL is going on baby #4 & they got the VW Routan.  I never liked minivans either but when I saw it I really liked it.  I want one now that we are expecting baby #2 but my husband is still against it.  I'm hoping he will change his mind once we go car shopping.  I'm short and he has a truck right now that I drive sometimes, since he takes my car to work, and it's very hard for me to put my son in and take him out.  He wants a Tahoe or Yukon and I think those are too big for me.  & what I really liked about the Routan, and I'm sure other minivans have the same feature, but they have captain chairs in the 2nd row so it's easy to get to the 3rd row.  It's very sleek and doesn't look big and bulky like the other minivans.  It also has 2 screens to watch movies which will probably come in handy on long trips.   
  • I am 24 and would kill for a minivan lol! And I only have 2 and might only ever have 2. We have two little cars that are great on gas mileage but even with only 2 carseats it's really, really tight. I wish I had more breathing room. But since they are both payed off and we don't really *need* a new car, I can't justify getting a van just yet.
    2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • NannaNanna member

We have 3 in my Chevy Trailblazer and I love it!  (Edit:  Ours does not have the 3rd row - we have 3 seats across the back row.  It's cozy, but it totally works.)  There's ample storage in the back and I love how it drives. 

We also have a GMC van - not a minivan, a conversion van.  That was my DH's pick.  I'll admit that that bad boy is roomy and comfortable, but it's so big that I HATE driving it.  I would get a minivan in a heartbeat.  Also, there's no reason not to consider a vehicle that doesn't have LATCH - seatbelt installs are just as safe when done correctly (and honestly aren't that much harder to accomplish).

imageimageimage
  • We only have one but will be expanding our family next year. I traded in my 2 door Accord for the Honda Pilot Touring model. We plan to have 3-4 and for us the 3rd row is just fine. I love the pilot. The touring model is fully loaded, nav, dvd, the works. We are very happy with it. I refuse to have a mini van, even if it is easier lol.
    image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemonkeyqueen:
    Just go with a mini-van.    You won't regret it.   I was a Never to the mini-van kind of girl, but it just seemed like the most economical to buy and run choice.

This, I said I'd NEVER own a mini van but to be realistic the SUV's with the third row really aren't functional for a larger family.  If you need to have the third row up there is no room for a stroller, forget it if you are on a family trip and have to pack luggage.  I bought a Jeep Commander in 2007 and had to trade it in for my Mini van in 2008.  I hated to do it, (I was 26 at the time) but it is so much better for the family (and the wallet).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • CMM05CMM05 member

We just got a Suburban and we LOVE it :) Our 2nd "row" has the captain seats, so we can easily get back to the 3rd row.

DH & I were not ready for a minivan.

We also looked at the Acadia and the Enclave. The issue is that when you are using the 3rd row (which you will all the time with 3 kids...), there is very little room in the way back for storage. We could barely fit our double stroller back there! We also travel to my IL's a lot (a 3 hour drive...), so we need room for the stroller and our bags, so we have to have cargo space.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just bought a new toyota sequoia and love it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"