LGBT Parenting
Options

Trigger Shots

I called my RE to ask about a trigger shot and she made me feel like an idiot. I am worried about missing my window for IUI this month because I have to administer my final exams on the day I think I am going to ovulate. I had read of some women who trigger no matter what. She informed me that they do not accommodate schedules in infertility.

Now I am paranoid that there will some flag on my file as the crazy rude lady who wants special accommodations... am I crazy? Do some of you have a trigger shot even if you ovulate on yorur own?

What a bummer... any advice?

Re: Trigger Shots

• Options

You should absolutely not feel like you are crazy or rude. It is your right to take charge of your own fertility, and frankly your responsibility to take charge of your medical care. 

My doctor recognizes that every cycle we do with DS we are spending a large amount of money, so they are trying to maximizing our chances each cycle. The fertility center we go to is fabulous, and I would recommend finding a facility that is willing to give you the best possible chance of getting pregnant. 

IUI #1 (50 mg clomid and ovidrel) - BFN
    IUI #2 (100 mg clomid and HCG trigger) - BFN
    IUI #3 (Gonal-f and HCG trigger) - BFN
    IVF #1 - 21 retrieved, 20 mature, 15 fertilized (ICSI), 2 d5 blasts transferred, 8 frozen - c/p
    FET #1 - BFFN
    FET #2 - BFN? c/p? Either way no baby
    FET #3 - No shock...BFN
    FET #4 - BFN :-(
    Surgery and TTC cancelled - pursuing surrogacy
    7/31/12 Surrogate got a +HPT!!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We used a trigger shot every cycle. You are definitely not being crazy for asking things like that. It sounds to me like you should look into changing REs if you can. I totally agree with nmartin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I am really lucky that my insurance covers EVERYTHING but the cost of sperm. I only pay $15 for each visit... I think I will see how this cycle pans out and then have a frank conversation with my RE if it doesn't work, Thanks again!
  • Options
    Definitely sit down and talk to your RE about a game plan that you are both comfortable with.  I have no fertility issues but we choose to use clomid and a trigger to increase our chances each cycle.  That was the choice that felt right for us and our RE was there to make it happen.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am a little confused. What is your protocol? Are you being monitored this cycle?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagegeeeegers:

She informed me that they do not accommodate schedules in infertility.

I re-read your post and thought about it more and I do agree with this.  An RE should not trigger you JUST because you have tests to administer, are going on vacation, have to go to a party, etc.  An RE SHOULD trigger (if that's the protocol you've agreed to) when your body is ready.  To trigger some to simply to avoid a scheduling conflict is not good medicine, IMO.  However, if the person's body is ready AND it happens to avoid a conflict that's great. Does that make sense?

• Options

An RE SHOULD trigger (if that's the protocol you've agreed to) when your body is ready.  To trigger some to simply to avoid a scheduling conflict is not good medicine, IMO.  However, if the person's body is ready AND it happens to avoid a conflict that's great. Does that make sense?

I agree completely! I am not being monitored at ALL, just using OPK's. I called to ask if I could have an ultrasound to check follicle size because I had been having some cramping. My first cycle I had a size 17 follicle, but didn't ovulate until a week later... I would never want to trigger to soon... I just wanted to be checked.

The good news is that I had a +OPK this morning. So I will call and go in tomorrow for my IUI. But I know this same doctor is on duty memorial day... so now on top of our awkward conversation she will be working on a holiday to inseminate. UGH! But I am SO excited to have a +OPK- now I will be able to administer my finals and not get in trouble at work! YAY!!

• Options
    imagenmartin1108:

You should absolutely not feel like you are crazy or rude. It is your right to take charge of your own fertility, and frankly your responsibility to take charge of your medical care. 

My doctor recognizes that every cycle we do with DS we are spending a large amount of money, so they are trying to maximizing our chances each cycle. The fertility center we go to is fabulous, and I would recommend finding a facility that is willing to give you the best possible chance of getting pregnant. 

This. I'd be kicking that RE to the curb.  

DW & I (yes, we're lesbians!) are using anonymous donor sperm and IUI TTC#1! Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma at age 16 2009: Extensive testing to find reason for irregular periods & rule out uterine cancer 10/2010: Dx possible PCOS / No Ovulation / Retroverted Uterus IUI #1 on 11/10/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFN IUI #2 on 12/15/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFP!!! Beta #1 = 75 (12dpiui) Beta #2 = 158 (14dpiui) Beta #3 = 333 (15dpiui) Beta #4 = 2,517 (19dpiui) First OB appointment and u/s 1/25/10 EDD: 9/7/11 BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    2brides2brides member
    Agreed. Unmonitored on Clomid is a dangerous combo. I'd finish up this cycle and then either have a really serious conversation with the RE or find a new one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our RE monitors all cycles where iUI is planned even natural ones and triggers are used to ensure ovulation is timed right (not to schedule around anything ). I would be wary of cycling on any mess without monitoring.
  • Options

image2brides:
    Agreed. Unmonitored on Clomid is a dangerous combo. I'd finish up this cycle and then either have a really serious conversation with the RE or find a new one.

Is she on clomid? I can't keep track of who is doing what. :-p

ETA: Nevermind, I just looked at her siggy.  Okay, if you are on any fertility increasing drug and not being monitored you need to have a serious talk with your RE.  But, didn't you state you had a follie check? So there is some monitoring going on?

• Options

I am on clomid this cycle- 50 mg. I had a talk with my RE when I went in for my IUI on Monday. She told me that she prefers to not trigger if you ovulate on your own normally. I had an U/S back on CD3 to make sure I didn't have any problems so she prescribed clomid. I was not monitored after that and I had a poitive OPK on Sunday.

I can understand where my doctor is coming from and I did not necesarrily want a trigger, but I did want to be checked. If I do not get pregnant on this cycle I am going to ask to be monitored during the next cycle, not triggered per se, but at least checked around CD 12...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"