Special Needs
Options

PT 2 places at same time

Anyone do PT or really any therapy twice a week, but at different private locations.  DD just had hip surgery and I am feeling that we should have post-op therapy through the hospital.  Plus it would be like getting a second opinion.  But I feel like I am cheating on our current therapist.  Thinking maybe we could do 1x at hospital and 1x with our current therapist. 

Re: PT 2 places at same time

• Options

First, you should never feel like that.  Honestly, (and I guess this could be construed as selfish biitch material, lol) you shouldn't consider the therapist feelings, at all. They are there to help your LO, and a good therapist, SHOULD have helping them as a priority above feelings.  

That being said, lots of people do services with EI and outpatient as well.  Normally hospital based programs function a little different than some EI and children thrive more with one, than the other.  

EX: our EI speech focuses on us teaching her everything whereas the hospital program, the therapist does the teaching.

We had OT at home with EI & PT outpatient.

GL Try to remember you have to advocate for your child & not really worry about the feelings of someone else.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

Don't think of it as cheating, but you do need to let BOTH therapists know that you are seeing the other.  It is important that they know that your child is getting intense therapy twice a week as it might change what they do at the session.  You don't want to risk further injury or strain. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have 2 different PTs (and OTs).  1 is through early intervention and the other is through a pediatric rehab place that my insurance covers.  I never feel like I'm cheating on one or the other. EI comes to my house and I go to the private therapists. 
  • Options
    I know I want to do what is best for my daughter and that is why I am going to Gillette.  I am being silly, but we have just been with our other private therapist for 2 years and we have gotten to know her personally and made friends with another family that has OT at the same time as us.  A bit of stepping out of the family scene.  We also have PT, SP and OT through SpEd preschool.  We would not do 2x/ week for a long time, maybe 6 weeks or so.  The orthopedic surgeon suggested 2x/ week for post-surgical recovery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"