June 2011 Moms
Options

Quinoa- the 'perfect' pregnancy food?

I'm a little late discovering this one, but I thought I'd share since I know I have been told to get on multiple supplements throughout pregnancy.  I am making quinoa with our dinner tonight and decided I wanted to know what the nutritional value was for this delicious food.  This is what I found on Wikipedia...

"Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%?18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.[12] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.[12]"

I'm wondering if the MW's will find this sufficient instead of taking fiber, mag, AND iron?  Hmmm...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Quinoa- the 'perfect' pregnancy food?

• Options

and it doesn't taste that bad!! I cook mine in chicken broth to give it more flavor! 

It is great!....though I can't bring myself to eat anything good for me other than apples...worst eater ever right now! lol

image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We eat Quinoa all the time. My DS loves it. It's super healthy and we basically use it instead of rice....doesn't work every time but most times it's perfect. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We love quinoa. We get the large bag at Costco.  Our favorite is to mix in a can of rotel and lots of spinach.  I too am the worst eater ever right now.  It is ironic considering I was nearly completely "clean and organic" before getting pregnant. I seriously want a cheeseburger and ice cream daily.  I cave to this craving WAY too much.
  • Options
    11kacey11kacey member

We make quinoa in the rice cooker and only add lime juice and cilantro with the water (instead of chicken stock). Healthy and completely vegan. :) (if you care about that).

We also use the same recipe for brown rice and it is soo yummy!

Recently my husband mixed quinoa with Israeli couscous (spelling?) and it was amazing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a bag of it that I'd completely forgotten about.  I should break it out.
  • Options

imagehajski:
    We love quinoa. We get the large bag at Costco.  Our favorite is to mix in a can of rotel and lots of spinach.  I too am the worst eater ever right now.  It is ironic considering I was nearly completely "clean and organic" before getting pregnant. I seriously want a cheeseburger and ice cream daily.  I cave to this craving WAY too much.

Me three.  I decided to get back on the good eating band wagon though... My little frame is only going to take so much before I look like a cow pp.  I admit, I already have my husband agreed to ice cream in a bit!  A little can't hurt, right?  But, you guys are adventurous, I just eat it plain and cook it with water. It's not by any means a new food for me, I just only found out just how good for you it really is.  I LOVE the way it tastes.  I am a serious health foodie though, maybe that's why?

• Options
  • Options
    Scrambled eggs, hot salsa and quinoa all mixed together is my favorite lazy meal! So good.
    sam & arlo 

• Options

Thanks for the reminder, ladies... I think I'll make some for dinner tonight!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"