Food Allergy
Options

When did you see an allergist?

When did you start seeing an allergist?  I believe my LO has an intolerance to dairy and eggs.  We suspect there may be something else but haven't figured out what yet.  When she was getting eggs and dairy through BM she would scream unconsolably as if in pain and have mucous diapers.  These symptoms have mostly gone away but now she is getting a rash again on her tummy and diaper area.  Our pediatrician never mentioned anything about allergy testing and dismissed us saying most of the times it's just a virus.  Did you wait a while before going to an allergist or should we be doing that?  Thank you!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When did you see an allergist?

• Options
    Our pedi dismissed us well, so we went on our own in early March.  Go.  The testing they do at this age isn't 100%, but it's a starting point.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    We were referred at 6 months for our initial visit. Our second was at 14 months when they did DS1's first milk challenge and we have seen a GI ever since.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As soon as I brought DD in for really really bad eczema, the pedi sent us for allergy testing and recommended an allergist when the results came back as allergic to pretty much everything. She didn't play around with it at all. Of course, she's got 3 kids herself and one of them has food allergies.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Right after she turned 3 months. She had both skin and blood testing done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ours was at 10 months after seeing a pediatric dermatologist for his eczema for about 5 months with no change.  If we see any allergy symptoms with our second son we'll be pushing for the tests much sooner. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like you, I started by eliminating dairy at four months and DS was better pretty quickly.  I was still dismissed from testing or even that allergies were likely at that point.  He had an anaphlaytic reaction at 6 months to dairy and that got us into the allergist right away (although our pedi at the time tried to tell us it wasn't necessary.)  They say experience and observation is better than testing, especially in younger kids.  But I'd trust your mommy instinct and also find a new pedi if yours isn't taking you seriously.  We switched to one our allergist recommended and it makes such a huge difference.
  • Options
    Jacob was 10m old. We went after we saw a reaction when I tried to give him formula..he got hives almost immediately on his face.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

At 1. Pedi dx allergy through RAST (we tested for 8 top allergens) and we set up allergist appointment for right after her first birthday for skin testing.

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Mamas!  We will have to look into an allergist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageputerbaby:
    Our pedi dismissed us well, so we went on our own in early March.  Go.  The testing they do at this age isn't 100%, but it's a starting point.  Good luck!

This. We actually should have went when our dd was younger. We waited until she was 7 mos old so she suffered a lot longer that she should have. Good Luck!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

find an allergist on your own and take your son.  My doc also dismissed the idea until my son went into an ana reaction and had to be rushed to the ER.  it sounds like an allergy so i would just at least make an appointment and chat with the allergist. In the mean time write down everything he east and his reactions.

gl!

• Options

Like magda, my doctor didn't take it seriously until a trip to the ER.  I actually saw an allergist before that, but he just gave me steroids and told me to see a derm.  The day I tapered to the lowest dose of steroids I had an ana reaction.

If you can, see an allergist on your own.  I also think it's important to write down everything, and take pictures of his skin reactions in case it has calmed down when you get to the doc.

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"