Food Allergy

Intro & Questions

Hi! I have a 16 mos old DD who has multiple GI issues along with allergies/intolerances. She has been dealing with reflux since birth, delayed gastric emptying, constipation issues, suspected MSPI and has been FTT for 7 mos and counting.

Our GI suspected MSPI b/c DD has a long history of mucousy poops. Her diet mostly consists of Elecare. We have given solids from 5 mos on (per GI's instructions) and table food since 10 mos. DD has reacted to 7 different foods (fruits/veggies) and her symptoms were varied: hives/mild face swelling, mucousy poop, increased reflux, and night waking/screaming.

My question is that, our GI said that DD has no allergies or intolerances b/c a basic allergy workup (blood test) came back negative. It tested milk, soy, peanuts, shellfish, dogs, cats, etc. However, the only time LO was in contact with milk or soy was through breastmilk and she hasn't been exposed to any of the other allergens they tested for. Is it still possible for her to be allergic to milk or soy even though she tested negative? Is mucous in the stool not a sign of an allergy? Can I trust the negative blood test, even though she has never been exposed to those things? Should I seek a referral to an allergist or just keep eliminiating those triggers from her diet?

TIA!

Re: Intro & Questions

• I was told that the blood test is NOT as accurate as the skin test. IMO, if she got hives/swelling from a particular food then she is allergic to it. I would see an allergist for a skin test. IDK anything about the poo part, except that with IBS, which I have, it produces the results that you are speaking of. Jacobs reactions are rash/hive related, with only poo differences with juices. Also sometimes the reaction doesnt occur until the second+ exposure to the food, so maybe thats why nothing has showed up on the test? IDK for sure.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think that you should go to an allergist as well.  I have heard many times that skin tests are a lot more accurate than blood tests.  Good luck and welcome!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't answer all of your questions, but the best way to diagnose is based on experience/observations, plus testing.  My son was only exposed to dairy through BM until an anaphlyactic reaction at 6 mos.  He definitely tested positive to it in a blood test and also peanuts.  I'd see an allergist due to the history.
  • Thank you all so much! I will ask our pedi for a referral at her next appointment.
  • my son was tested for soy and it was negative but when i introduced it to him he was reacting to it ... second test showed a positive result to soy.

My doc said that sometimes they have to be exposed to the allergen to have a positive reaction.

I would just find a good allergist and have a talk with her.  She would probably want to do her own tests. 

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"