Two Under 2

Please give me a nice dose of reality! :P

DH and I wanted to wait until DS was at least 1-1 1/2 years old before we started TTC again, but we also want a large family (6 or so kids) so I know our kids will probably end up somewhat close together.  Well, DS is turning 5 months tomorrow and I've had the itch for baby #2 starting this week.  I seriously don't know why I'm even considering this because the majority of the time I feel like I can't even handle DS and taking care of the house and DH without turning into a crazy woman.  I'm also afraid of having DS wean early if I get pregnant again because I wanted to BF him until he turned 1 but my OB said he might self-wean because my milk will change once I'm pregnant.

So, please give me a dose of reality about this 2 under 2 thing :P 

-What made you decided to have 2u2 (if it was planned) and how hard has it been?

-How did it work out if you BF baby #1 while pregnant with baby #2?

Thanks, Ladies! :)

Re: Please give me a nice dose of reality! :P

• 1) Not planned.

2) My supply tanked when I was about 15 weeks pg and DD1 was 7 months old :(

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • 1) we wanted a big family as well, and DH and his siblings were all about 1 1/2 years apart and the kids were very close with each other (I know that doesn't mean my kids will be).  I wouldn't say it's "hard" for me and DH, but we are very BUSY.  Our days are filled up, but we don't mind.  I love going to soccer practice, and gymnastics etc.  we still get to see our friends, just not every weekend.

2) My kids all weaned themselves around 9-10 months.  They were only nursing about 3 times per day and sleeping 10-12 hours at night so my supply went down.  If I woke up in the middle of the night to pump I could have kept it going longer, but I needed my sleep too!

Good Luck with your decision!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are 25 months apart...you have good days and bad days.  Both planned pregnancies.  We wouldn't plan things that way again.  It has been difficult for us going from 1-2 kids.  If we have #3, it won't be for a few years. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Although my daughter is not here yet. I can tell you that being pg with an infant is HARD. "ot only is it hard to carry around a 25 lb., not quite yet walking on his own baby paired with a big pregnancy belly.

But it is also very hard on the body! Despite taking vitamins and having great prenatal care, my body feels worn out and just depleted! I dont know how else to put it. It is different than the pg exhaustion I felt with LO#1.

Although I do feel blesses. I really do. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would wait until the first baby was about a year before getting pregnant again. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Being pregnant with a baby/toddler is also one thing that worries me.  While pregnant with DS I went into preterm labor at 26 weeks and was on bed rest for the next 3 months until the end of my pregnancy.  I can't imagine what I would do if that happened again and I had DS to take care of.  I asked my OB about TTC again so soon but she didn't seem concerned at all.  Hmmm...

Thanks, ladies, for all your input :)

• Ours was unplanned and although we are more than thrilled, I have to agree with the previous posters about the pregnancy being MUCH harder.  I dont know if it was the lack of time between pregnancies or if it's because I now have an infant to care for as well, but this pregnancy thus far has been extremly difficult.  I have been MUCH sicker and MUCH more tired.  And DH ends up doing 90% of everything and I end up feeling guilty for putting that on him and for the decrease in time/attention I can give my daughter.  We plan to wait a few years before any more children.  Whatever you decide, I would discuss with your DH and maybe think about it for more than a week.  Good luck!
    We are having Irish Twins!!! Our sweet little girls will be 10.5 months apart! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BFab11BFab11 member
    Ours was planned, I got the itch around 5 months too. I had my first period when DS was 10 months and got pg the next cycle. We made it to a year with BFing, and he still relies on it for comfort and sleep. I'm just seeing how everything goes and playing it by ear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I'm probably in the minority here, but I think having them super close in ways is easier than the 2-3 year age gap. I also might be delusional since I have 2 relatively easy children. :)  Your experience with 2u2 (or a 3 year gap, or any other age gap) will depend on the temperaement of the children involved and you just can't predict that.

I thought pregnancy was easier with #2 than with #1. However, when I was pregnant with #1, I was commuting 45 minutes each way a day and working 9+ hours. I came home beat. With #2, I was only working part time, and I was napping when the baby napped (which was still quite a bit). I think pregnancy with a child that was 1+ would have been much tougher than with an infant. I have a 17 month old now, and he is high energy and on the go all the time. I think if I were pregnant now, it would have been much more difficult physically than when he was younger, I didnt have to chase him and I could rest a lot when he slept a lot. Plus, DS is so much more aware now. When he was 12.5 months old and I brought a baby home, he was blissfully unaware of the big change in his life. He literally had no reaction or jealousy at all. I think if he was still an only child and we brought a baby home now (or in the next few months) it would have been a tougher adjustment for him.

I think life will be much tougher when I have 2 toddlers, but like having an infant and a toddler, you find tricks to make your life easier. We had planned for an 18 month gap, but I'm glad #2 came a little earlier than expected. I don't find 2u2 to be hard at all (YET!) lol. It has hard moments, but overall I think the good times far outweigh the tough ones. I also think that having 2u2 would be helpful if you have a large family, as those 2 will have each other to play with while you could rest during your pregnancy. I think it's tougher in the beginning, but easier as they are older as they have a built in playmate and you don't have to provide as much entertainment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you wail til he's a year, you could very well still have 2u2. I got pregnant when DS1 was 15 months and I can't imagine having done it any sooner. It was very difficult, before and after DS2 was born.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I agree with KC. I have a friend whose kids are 13 months apart and the transition was easier for her bc her older child was unaware of anything going on at 1 year. BUT...

I have to say, OP--if you BF it would definitely be hard to nurse til a year if you got pregnant right now since your next baby would be born when your older is about 15 months. So to nurse to a year would mean to nurse into your 3rd tri. I nursed DS while pg with DD.  my kids are 18m apart. He was 13 months when we stopped and I was 18 wks pg. I had horrible m/s that lasted 16 wks. I had to take zofran, and felt guilty that I was nursing and on it. I had a hard time eating/drinking enough to maintain my weigh etcc, and nursing took a lot more out of me. but I was happy to continue bc it was my normal in a time of feeling crappy.

some pros?- when I was sick, DS was not walking yet, so that was nice. He was napping two naps until a year old, so I got to sleep too. He was happy and content and wasnt too clingy yet. When he started walking he was 12.5 months and I was almost feeling better....and I wasnt huge by the time he was toddling and falling a lot. So by the time I WAS huge, he was steady on his feet and easier to hold hands and have him walk short distances with me. 

I love this age gap. I dont think I would want them closer for BFing purposes (nursing til a year or more in important to me). You also never know if your milk will dry up...I was glad mine didnt, but I took that chance. (we planned this but thought it would be a couple months until I got pg).

We want #3, but since I have two older ones, we are waiting until DD is 15 months or so to try to have another. I would like DD and baby3 to be 2 or more years apart for my sanity (DH is gone a lot for work).

Good luck! Take some time to really sit on it before making a decision, sometimes baby fever comes and goes with different stages. ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, everybody, for the advice/input! :)  I think I will try to hold off the itch until October.  DS will be 10 months by then and even if I do get pregnant right away I should still (hopefully) be able to nurse for another 2 months until he is 1 year old. 

I'm pretty certain I'm okay with having 2 under 2,  just probably not having them as close as I would if I got pregnant right now.  Funny thing about everybody telling me to talk with DH about it though: DH wants another baby right NOW, lol!  He says DS is growing up too fast and he wants another newborn in the house right away.  I would have never expected that from him, but I'm glad he's open to having them close together.

Thanks, again, for all the input on having 2 under 2 and I wish you ladies the best with you're wonderful little ones!  Hopefully I'll be joining you all this fall ;)

• Wow I was about to post this question, but googled it instead & found this! Our LOs are the same age & we pretty much have the same dilemma & timeline lol. I keep wondering if I can pump like crazy the last month or so & build a freezer stash to get us from Sept/Oct to Jan (1 year). That's just in case my milk dries up asap though. Anyway, thanks for asking this!!
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"