Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Talk to me about stuttering?

Dylan's developing a stutter.

It started about 6 months ago and I kinda blew it off.  I thought I'd read something on here about it being somewhat normal around this age.

Now?  It seems to be getting worse.  It seems like he repeats the first word of almost every sentence but usually only when he's looking you right in the eyes and has your full attention.  He doesn't do it as much if he's got his face into his cars or transformers across the room and starts telling me something.

Anyone with stuttering experience?

His 5 yr check up is in 2 more months so of course I'll bring it up then.  Just trying to prepare myself if this is something we're going to be needing help with.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Talk to me about stuttering?

• Options
    CD+ALCD+AL member
    DS went through something that sounds exactly like that at about 2.5 (had very advanced language skills for his age but prob. not that of a 5yo).  Anyway, it got pretty bad for a little while, and then it just went away all of a sudden.  I asked about it back then, and the responses that I got were basically saying that this is common when they're experiencing a huge language growth all at once.  maybe it'll still just go away?

• Options
    Until you get the chance to talk to your pedi, do try to just 'ignore' it as much as possible.  My friend's DD has one that kind of comes & goes, but they have been told to not prompt her, rush her, etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My niece developed a stutter that was pretty pronounced and it lasted for a while...a few months maybe?  I remember my SIL being concerned about it and her pedi said their little brains are working faster than their mouths and they have trouble sorting it out.  The pedi told SIL to basically ignore it.  Don't prompt, don't tell him to slow down, or take his time or draw any attention to it whatsoever.  In that case, my niece stopped stuttering once her brain and mouth got back in synch.

So, definitely talk to your pedi about it at the next appointment but in the meantime, ignore it.

I hope it's just a phase for you guys too! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

When DD turned 3 she developed a very pronounced stutter.  I talked to the speech therapist at my school, and she recommended I look at this website:

https://www.stuttersfa.org/

There are videos that show what is considered "normal" and what is not.  It confirmed my fears about DD, and I ended up taking her for an evaluation.  At the evaluation, of course, DD refused to talk at all!  But after a while she warmed up a bit and talked enough that the therapist decided she didn't need therapy right now, but keep an eye one it.  That was back in January, and the stuttering has slowly faded away.  The advice was to not acknowledge the stutter, other than saying something along the lines of "Whew!  Some words are really hard to say, aren't they?"  Don't tell them to slow down, don't rush them, don't look away like you are embarrassed or frustrated with their stutter, and so on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Alot of kids develop stutters at some point. Like a PP stated, their minds are working so fast and their mouths just can't keep up. I wouldn't worry, most kids grow out of it. Have you talked to your child's teacher about this? If you really are concerned about it, and don't want to wait or don't agree with your doctor, your child's teacher can make a referral to have a Speech Therapist come and just observe your son. Then they can tell you "Yes, this is normal" or "He could benefit from Services". Just don't be afraid to ask for an evaluation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagestephsteph77:

When DD turned 3 she developed a very pronounced stutter.  I talked to the speech therapist at my school, and she recommended I look at this website:

https://www.stuttersfa.org/

There are videos that show what is considered "normal" and what is not.  It confirmed my fears about DD, and I ended up taking her for an evaluation.  At the evaluation, of course, DD refused to talk at all!  But after a while she warmed up a bit and talked enough that the therapist decided she didn't need therapy right now, but keep an eye one it.  That was back in January, and the stuttering has slowly faded away.  The advice was to not acknowledge the stutter, other than saying something along the lines of "Whew!  Some words are really hard to say, aren't they?"  Don't tell them to slow down, don't rush them, don't look away like you are embarrassed or frustrated with their stutter, and so on.

This was us too.  My DD1 started stuttering just after turning two (about 2 months before we had DD2).  It had gotten REALLY bad.  It was just heartbreaking to watch.  He pedi said that it was normal because her language was advanced for her age. That it would go away eventually.  We tried to wait it out, but after 8 months of it being so bad, we had her evaluated.  They confirmed what we already knew, that her stuttering is at a severe level.  However, because she was only 3 they recommended waiting it out.   Then a month later, she started having some good days and all of a sudden, 9 months after she started, the stuttering disappeared as fast as it came on.  She still does it from time to time, but it seems more normal now. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"