Two Under 2
Options

Breastfeeding while pregnant

How many of you did/are breastfeeding while pregnant?  Tandem nurse?  Tell me your story!  Why did you choose to do what you did?  Did you regret it at all?

I'm trying to decide what to do and when/if to wean DD...

~Annie Marie~
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
natural m/c 3.28.08, image
My Blog

Re: Breastfeeding while pregnant

• Options

When DD1 was about 11.5 months old, I started transitioning her to whole milk.  I stopped nursing her on her first birthday and I was about 18 weeks pregnant.  I had pre-term labor with DD1 (it was stopped & she was born at 39 weeks), so that is one of the reasons why I didn't want to be nursing too far into my pregnancy with #2.  I wanted to BF DD1 for a year and I'm really glad that I was able to do that.  I didn't want to tandem nurse, so I knew that I would have to wean her eventually.

Kellymom has some good info on nursing while pg/tandem nursing: https://kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    i just found out that i am pregnant. i am still breastfeeding my son, he is 14 months. i dont have any set in stone plans, but i dont think i could handle tandem nursing. so weaning him before #2 is born - i just really dislike the idea of forrmula or cows milk when i know i am perfectly capable to feed him. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I nursed DS until 13 months old, I was 18 wks pregnant when we stopped. I was so sick for the first 16 wks, and it was hard to eat/drink enough. You need to eat 800 extra calories a day to maintain nursing while pregnant....its hard with m/s. I had to drink a ton of water too, and that was hard as well. I started zofran at 8 wks and would take it after nursing DS and would get some relief for a few hours. 

I knew I wouls stop nursing before I had DD. DS was not a comfort nurser and kinda started to wean on his own. I didnt want to nurse two kids at once. PLus once I started to feel DD move a lot, it was kinda odd to nurse DS while she moved....it felt weird. I was ready when he was 13 months, so was he.

Oh and I was told by the nurse I had to stop immediately, when I told her I was nursing and pg. I did my research and made my own decision. all was fine.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My son is 13 months old and I will be 7 weeks pregnant tomorrow.  I am still nursing him and I really want to have him off before I'm around 20 weeks.  I had preterm labor with my son and that's the main reason I want to stop nursing.  If I didn't have any issues with PTL I think I would try tandem nursing.  I was worried about nursing while pregnant because of the PTL but I seen my dr yesterday and she said I was fine as long as I wasn't having any cramping.  I have thought that it might be uncomfortable to nurse him as I get further along and my stomach starts to pop out and there are days where I just don't like having him on my breast.  Sometimes if feels like he is sucking everything out of me and my nipple really starts to hurt.  When that happens I just take him off for a little then let him start again later.  I have been trying to give him whole milk and there are days when he drinks it and others when he doesn't.  He still doesn't eat a lot of food so that's why I am not rushing to stop nursing either.  I am hoping he will just wean himself but we'll see.  Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My daughter was 5 months old when I got pregnant. We were EBF and breastfeeding until 1 year was very important to me. I had about a week of sore nipples, but nothing too bad. My daughter didn't seem to notice (or at least mind) any taste change. Luckily my supply stayed up until around 25 weeks, and it slowly went downhill from there. By 30-ish weeks my supply was practically non-existant, and DD had just turned a year old. She was becoming less and less interested (since there wasn't any milk) but I knew she would want to start nursing again when she saw the baby nursing, and I would rather keep with it than have her stop and start up again. I also thought it might help with my nipple pain (which was really bad when I first started Bfing my older daughter) if I never stopped. So we kept at it. When the baby was born, it was great. My milk came in right after we left the hospital, I had zero pain with breastfeeding, and whenever I felt engorged I would just have my older daughter nurse. My supply regulated in just a couple days and then I was never engorged again. I'm still nursing both of them (my older daughter nurses 3-5 times a day) and it's going great, no regrets here.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    DS is 10 months old and I'm 10 weeks pregnant. Like a PP I too had sore nipples for about a week, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'm hoping to nurse DS right through this pregnancy and tandem nurse until he is 2. I too went into spontaneous PTL with DS, he was 5 weeks early. I've read the research and I'm going to keep nursing.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"