Two Under 2
Options

SAHMs with 2 under 2

For any current or former SAHMs:

Just wondering how you did activities with your older LO and simultaneously looked after younger LO.  My DD was just born so our LOs are 20 months apart.  DS is a very active toddler and I'd like some advice on how to keep a balance on activities for him (while watching her) on days we are at home (which are most days right now since she's less than a month old).  Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Re: SAHMs with 2 under 2

• Options

I know where youre coming from! SO hard to find things to do in those first couple months. I mostly had DD "help" me which made her feel involved or I would read her a book and have her point things out to her brother. And dont overlook simple things, a drawer full of tupperware or a laundry basket to put in and take stuff out of is a big hit and can keep my DD busy for awhile. And if theres always Baby Einstein!

• Options

Mine are 20 months apart as well. My advice would be to just get a carrier (the Moby wrap works really well for little ones), and do whatever you would normally do with your toddler. Go to the park, check out books at the library, blow bubbles outside, whatever works. We went to music class last week, and there were two babies under the age of a month, tagging along with their toddler sibling.

I don't see any reason to be home just because you have a 1 month old, if there are no other health concerns. This is a great time of the year to have a baby, you don't have to worry about colds/flus!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine are 7.5 months and 20 months old.  We don't do any classes here because there aren't any to take.  But we do a weekly playgroup with kids DD1's age, and a weekly outing with another mom and her toddler.  We go to museums or parks.  I try to have at least one other play date during the week, and we also take walks almost every day.  We live in the middle of a big city and walk just about everywhere, so that gets us out of the house every day.

When DD2 was younger we spent more time in the house, but she also slept a lot then, so DD1 and I had a lot of time to read books and play together.  I also started having DD1 help me in the kitchen (she loves pushing the button on the food processor or using the salad spinner), which helps her stay occupied while I take care of making dinner.  I try to be creative in getting her involved with the daily chores too.  She loves "sweeping" (more like hitting the floor with the broom) and helping me with laundry.   I hand her wet things out of the washer and she puts them in the dryer.  Etc.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

I do everything I did with my DS before DD came, except I wear DD in a carrier while I do it. We go to the zoo, children's museum, story time at the library, the playground, etc.

In terms of doing things around the house, I just made sure everything was babyproofed so I didnt have to be watching DS every second of the day (since it's impossible for me to!) We have locks on the cabinets, baby gates to protect him from the stairs, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

Mine are 20 months apart as well. My advice would be to just get a carrier (the Moby wrap works really well for little ones), and do whatever you would normally do with your toddler. Go to the park, check out books at the library, blow bubbles outside, whatever works. We went to music class last week, and there were two babies under the age of a month, tagging along with their toddler sibling.

I don't see any reason to be home just because you have a 1 month old, if there are no other health concerns. This is a great time of the year to have a baby, you don't have to worry about colds/flus!

I agree. The baby just has to go along. We did gymboree when DD was a few weeks old. She stayed in the ergo and he played. She slept fine, and on occasion I had to BF in the class, but oh well. I became a lot more flexible with baby #2. I will say that around 4 months it got harder for a little while to go anywhere with them since DD hated the car seat and was napping less. The newborn phase was easier to get out in...now its challenging since E is crawling/cruising...but its fun.

I will say that I hated the summer with a newborn and a 18 month old, we couldnt so the pool since it was so hot and DS wouldnt listen to me...it was hard. We did indoor activities mainly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In the beginning I wore the baby all the time.  We still went to story time and our other activities. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback!  I love the ideas.....guess I need to get a Moby wrap along with trying the other suggestions..  I definitely think these things will help us.
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

I do everything I did with my DS before DD came, except I wear DD in a carrier while I do it. We go to the zoo, children's museum, story time at the library, the playground, etc.

In terms of doing things around the house, I just made sure everything was babyproofed so I didnt have to be watching DS every second of the day (since it's impossible for me to!) We have locks on the cabinets, baby gates to protect him from the stairs, etc.

This exactly. DS2 lives in either his jumparoo or his carrier and loves both of them. I also have a big playzone that I take outside on nice weather days and I don't have to worry about DS1 running off if DS2 needs me. We have a swing set for DS1 and I put DS2 in his carrier while I push DS1 in his swing.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"