Pre-School and Daycare
Options

XP: Is it normal to be poop trained, but not pee? Help?

I posted awhile ago about my DS's reluctance to PT. We have talked about it a ton, but I didn't push at all and figured he would just eventually be ready. Anyhow, this past weekend he basically announced he was ready and started going on the potty most of the time. However, so far, he's mainly going poop on there. That's great, especially since he still goes 3-4 times a day. He's been about 75% at telling us he needs to go and getting there in time (only at home--out we aren't worrying about yet). In fact, he seems to love going poop on the potty and thinks it's fun. He seems to have great control over when he needs to go and letting us know.

But he has peed very little on the potty. I think he gets he's supposed to go on the potty (and we are very positive and excited when he does go), but I'm not sure he can tell in advance yet he needs to go. It's generally in conjunction with pooping. He seems to be fine peeing in his diaper or pullup and generally tells me AS he is going, when it's too late. I finally just put him in underwear this afternoon and we had a good conversation about how he needs to let me know ahead. 5 minutes later he went in his pants. I figured he would and maybe it would freak him out and make him understand more, but now he's peeing again in his diaper just a few minutes later. Is this normal to have issues peeing on the potty? He's not scared or anything. What can I do to encourage peeing on the potty, too? He also seems to go a little bit at a time, so he'd be in the potty every few minutes if what he is telling me is correct. 

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Is it normal to be poop trained, but not pee? Help?

• Options
    DS had a much easier time with pooping than peeing.  He didn't know what it felt like when he needed to pee and actually even had a little trouble understanding what it meant to be wet or dry.  We talked about what it felt a lot.  And, we had to practice touching wet things and dry things and teach him the difference, which I really thought he would have known/understood without that.  It also really helped to have him in underwear 100% of the time.  We spent a full weekend at home practicing before we ventured out with him in underwear, but once we made the transition to underwear, we never put him in diapers or pullups so that he'd get that it wasn't OK to just go in his pants anymore. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS was poop-trained several months before he was pee trained, I think the sensation to poop is stonger, esp. in boys.  I would ditch the pull ups/diapers, they won't feel that they're wet with them.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto the underwear suggestion.

He needs to feel the wet sensation in order to correlate the urge to go with the actual feeling of going.

Another thought is to try taking him to the bathroom every 2 hours or so and encouraging him to try to relax and let the pee out so he's understanding how to control those muscles.

I trained mine very young so this may not be an issue at his age but for my guys it took a while to understand that they needed to actually think about it and relax the muscles to let it out when THEY wanted it to come out (proactive) instead of waiting until they were on the verge of wetting themselves and racing to the potty (reactive).

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    Ds hasn't pooped in his pants in months. He's JUST NOW fully pee trained (daytime only).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"