School-Aged Children

XP: Q if you ever considered Homeschooling.

Hi All Smile . My name is Amber and I'm a SAHM with my son, JT, 6 months. I actually just discovered this board and I thought this was an appropriate place to ask this question. I know I have a few years to make the decision but I've been thinking about homeschooling a lot lately and trying to weigh the pros and cons, but I really don't know enough yet.

My question is if you ever considered homeschooling your child(ren), why did you decide to OR not to? What were the biggest influences on your final decision?

Thank you!

imageimageimage

Re: XP: Q if you ever considered Homeschooling.

• Thank you very much for your advice. I actually am pursuing a degree in elementary education. I would be at least 3/4 completed with the program when DS becomes school-aged. Of the many aspects we would consider in deciding whether or not to homeschool would be whether we could live on one income until DS hits highschool.
    imageimageimage

• Never considered it.  It's not my area of expertise, nor do I have any interest in it becoming an area of expertise. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm an English teacher by profession.  I've also done a LOT of private tutoring, including high school math and science.  I teach at a religious school, and I think my school provides a great education.  However, it's not my family's religion, so sending my kids to my school is not an   option.

Sometimes, I get really frustrated with the public schools my kids attend, especially because my kids are GT, and right now public educational policy is very oriented toward leaving no child behind.  This means that tremendous resources are aimed at kids reading behind grade level, while my kids needs for enrichment are supposedly being met by having the opportunity to do optional worksheets or play on the computer.

However, all that being said, I would still never consider homeschooling my kids, for several reasons:

--expertise: I think it's very difficult for parents who homeschool to cope with advanced material in the high school grades.  I am guessing that most homeschooled teens are learning subjects like pre-calculus, physics, and Spanish language and literature by studying on their own. The student may learn to pass the textbook's tests, but not really "get" the material.  I'm not sure how many chances students get to apply what they've learned, particularly in higher math and science courses.  Sure, it's easy to buy a set of digi blocks or unifix cubes to help your 7 year old with the 2nd grade math curriculum, but can you really do the same for AP Chemistry?  Maybe people can, but I bet this is a big challenge. 

--objectivity:  A wonderful thing about traditional school is the emotional distance that teachers have from their students and vice versa.  I have a LOT of patience when my students don't try their hardest or do their best.  When it's my own kids, I can't help but have an emotional reaction to their performance in class.  I rarely make my students cry or get into an argument with them over not doing homework; my daughter has been in tears a handful of times this year when she's merely perceived that I might be upset with her work!

--diversity:  I do value the range of experiences (both positive and negative) that my children encounter at a public school.  Yes, if I kept them safe at home, they would never be teased on the playground, never hear a big kid throw out cuss words on the bus, never be the last one picked for kickball, etc.  They'll also never participate in the class pizza party, never have a part in the class play, never meet their friends at the PTA spring fair, never eat popsicles with classmates at field day, never be a safety patrol, never win an award in the school science fair, etc. 

I guess of the three, the real deal-breaker for me is objectivity.  I know there are work-arounds for the other two, but the objectivity is really important.  I also think it's important for kids to gain the independence of managing their own affairs at school.

HTH, and congrats on your little one! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • MrsSRMrsSR member
    I'm an elementary teacher.  There is NO way I'd consider it.  There is so much to learn at school and I'm not just talking about reading and math.  The social aspect alone is something I wouldn't take away from her.  And I disagree with homeschooling parents who say their child gets interaction and dance or baseball.  It just isn't the same.
  • Before DS was born I said I would never consider homeschooling.  I have a degree in early childhood education and thought public school would be best.  Since having him and seeing how much school has changed I really considered homeschooling. The only reason that I  am not homeschooling is that our personalities tend to clash when I try to teach him things that he struggles with. He is much more cooperative for others.  I have found him a great private school that is K-5 and when he gets to 6th grade we will look at our options and I may homeschool at that point.

I have heard the argument that homeschooled kids don't get enough socialization, but I don't believe it.  Many areas have great homeschool groups or even co-ops in which the kids get plenty of socialization.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Absolutely, I've homeschooled from the beginning and we woudn't have it any other way!  We have a lot of great opportunities for group activities in my community.  My children are doing well academically & socially.  We have a very tight knit family and a bond between siblings that is amazing.  I wouldn't worry about not being a "professional teacher" because you know your child best and can see what areas he's weak in and what needs improvement on a much more individualized level.  Most parents who homeschool are in tune with any needs that aren't being met and can get appropriate help in a timely manner.  All the homeschooling families I know honestly want the best education possible at the most affordable price and aren't afraid to get help in a subject area they aren't skilled in.  There are so many online tools, helpful curriculums and co-ops available that unless you're a complete dunce you can homeschool successfully.

I look at it this way, if I attended public school for 12 years and am not qualified to teach my own child how to read, write and do arithmetic then someone didn't do their job in teaching me. HS is the traditional method of education and has produced many great thinkers and founders of our nation.  Here's a list of famous homeschooled students that may surprise you and encourage you in your decision.  https://www.successful-homeschooling.com/famous-homeschoolers.html 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We homeschool (DD is in KDG). DH was homeschooled from 3rd grade forward and found it to be an extremely positive experience. Indeed, he and his siblings all enjoyed the experience so much and believe it to be a key in the success of their adult lives that they all plan to HS their own kids. I think that speaks volumes. 

The socialization argument is always there, typically from people who have never actually interacted with a child who is homeschooled. ;o) There is a distinction I've found between homeschooled children and children in traditional school settings: the homeschooled kids know how to interact with kids and adults of *all* ages, not just those in their specific age group. I always laugh when people talk about kids who are homeschooled not knowing how to interact with others. If they'd actually take the time to meet some HS kids, they'd likely find some of the most outgoing, friendly, polite, kind children you could imagine. DH was the director of communications for a national non-profit organization by age 18, producing a daily radio show, television commercials, etc and constantly dealing with big-shots at TV stations and radio stations. So much for not being able to interact with others, ha! :o) His sister was and is the youngest sales director for the US's largest assisted living corporation. I think they managed to figure out how to interact with people somehow along the way... and do it rather well, apparently. :o

Anyway, socialization is important, but education is the real discussion here. Homeschooling is really great because it allows education to be 100% tailored to the needs of the child. That is a distinct advantage, and one that results in homeschooled children excelling academically. No, I'm not a certified teacher of math, for example. Neither is my MIL. Yet somehow, she taught 4 kids that were taking college-level calculus by the 10th grade. You can allow your child to flourish in the areas where they are naturally talented, as well as give them extra attention in the areas where they need help without letting them get lost in the crowd of a class. Another academic advantage that DH has felt was very important: the transition into college. Because homeschool high school lessons are primarily self-taught (the curriculum is set as such), it is much more akin to a college course than a traditional high school course. While many of his counterparts struggled with moving to a more independent learning environment, DH excelled in college from the get-go. Actually, because he was HS'ed, he was able to finish high school at 16 (officially graduated at 17) and take on a full time internship towards the career he wanted. That turned into a full time job offer at 18 in his desired field, as well as having his entire college education paid for at the company's expense. By 22 he had a college degree along with 6 years of experience in his field. Not a bad start to an adult life, eh? :o) Anyway, all this to say, he feels that homeschooling was what prepared him appropriately for success at such an early age. 

• imageRindyree:

Absolutely, I've homeschooled from the beginning and we woudn't have it any other way!  We have a lot of great opportunities for group activities in my community.  My children are doing well academically & socially.  We have a very tight knit family and a bond between siblings that is amazing.  I wouldn't worry about not being a "professional teacher" because you know your child best and can see what areas he's weak in and what needs improvement on a much more individualized level.  Most parents who homeschool are in tune with any needs that aren't being met and can get appropriate help in a timely manner.  All the homeschooling families I know honestly want the best education possible at the most affordable price and aren't afraid to get help in a subject area they aren't skilled in.  There are so many online tools, helpful curriculums and co-ops available that unless you're a complete dunce you can homeschool successfully.

I look at it this way, if I attended public school for 12 years and am not qualified to teach my own child how to read, write and do arithmetic then someone didn't do their job in teaching me. HS is the traditional method of education and has produced many great thinkers and founders of our nation.  Here's a list of famous homeschooled students that may surprise you and encourage you in your decision.  https://www.successful-homeschooling.com/famous-homeschoolers.html 

This.  DH is a SAHD and homeschools our children: DD#1 (6 1/2 and will be doing 2nd grade work this Fall), DS (turns 5 this month and will do 1st grade work this Fall), and DD#2 is 17 months. 

There are a lot of homeschooling families in our area and DD#1 is now a Brownie in a homeschooling scout troop and we see these families not only for scouts but for a lot of social events - play dates, park dates, field trips, birthday parties, etc.  These are our friends; sometimes our activities are structured, some are just to have fun. Our group has about 50 families in it and we see most of them pretty regularly. 

Our neighborhood kids go to school and our kids fit in fine with them as well.  It's no different than if our kids went to a private school and other kids went to the public school or vice versa.  They are meeting kids through Church as well and not all the kids attend the same school.

The kids are learning Spanish (one of my majors in college), SIL is great at math (she homeschools also) so we will work with her on harder math topics as the kids get older.  The kids will take Art classes this Fall at a local homeschool co-op.  We are looking into music classes as well. 

We will be using the Robinson Curriculum but we considered The Calvert School as well. 

Rebecca Rupp and Linda Dobson write some excellent books about homeschooling and how to go about it/get started.  They address the socialization concerns as well.  There are a lot of online resources.  Be careful though - it can become overwhelming very quickly due to information overload!

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
  • imageRindyree:

Absolutely, I've homeschooled from the beginning and we woudn't have it any other way!  We have a lot of great opportunities for group activities in my community.  My children are doing well academically & socially.  We have a very tight knit family and a bond between siblings that is amazing.  I wouldn't worry about not being a "professional teacher" because you know your child best and can see what areas he's weak in and what needs improvement on a much more individualized level.  Most parents who homeschool are in tune with any needs that aren't being met and can get appropriate help in a timely manner.  All the homeschooling families I know honestly want the best education possible at the most affordable price and aren't afraid to get help in a subject area they aren't skilled in.  There are so many online tools, helpful curriculums and co-ops available that unless you're a complete dunce you can homeschool successfully.

I'm glad to see another homeschooler on here. We started hsing last year after a year and a half of being VERY disappointed in our local public schools. I have a rising second grader and my youngest will start K @ home this coming year. 

I always hate the "socialization" issue. We homeschool through a charter school that also provides daily workshops, tutoring, and classes. We usually attend workshops in writing, science, and art 3x per week. My daughters are involved in sports and other extracurricular activities. We have activities going on almost every night of the week, like any other family. 

Of course I don't have the knowledge to teach my children every single thing about every single subject. When we need help with certain subjects, we can utilize our charter school's qualified teachers for tutoring or extra explanations. We can also go to people that we know that have specialized knowledge of certain subject matter. 

I enjoy spending time with my children. I enjoy seeing them delight in learning rather than being stifled by what our school systems have become. My daughter has learned SO much more at home than she ever did at school. We can hone in on things that are of interest to her and develop those interests more than she would be able to in traditional schools. 

Talk to a recently-graduated high school student  that spent their entire school career in public schools. These kids haven't learned half of the things they should have learned. Everything is focused on testing, testing, testing. Filling in bubbles day in and out.

I fully recommend hsing to anyone that is interested, as long as they have the time and passion to dedicate to it.

Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have considered it and would love to do it. The only reason we haven't done it is because we can not give up an income and I am afraid that I could not do a good job and work full time. I know people who work part time and do very well. I think homeschooling is like anything else if you are dedicated and do the things you should it can be a wonderful experience for both you and your children. From what I have seen and read a home schooled child can get as good or even a better education than those in a public school. On the other hand if you are not a dedicated person than you could be setting your child up for failure. Good luck in whatever you decide. Most of the people that I got negative input from had not ever met anyone who was homeschooled.
    DD 11,m/c 2/01 5 wks,DS 9, DS 2,DS 1,slow agonizing mmc followed by d&c 6/20/11 @ 11 wks & 1 day
  • A few years ago, I never would have considered it.  I didn't know much about it but I thought HS'd kids were weird and unsocialized, and I thought homeschool meant everything was done at home.  In recent years, I have found that many of my friends and neighbors are homeschooled and/or are homeschooling their kids.  I've met brilliant, talented, vibrant young adults that have been homeschooled.  I've seen families that are tailoring their kids' educations to suit their needs and desires instead of having to fit in a one-size system.  I didn't want to like it but I really do, and we're going to try it.  I honestly wouldn't do it if I didn't have so many friends who are homeschooling.  We'll take it one year at a time, but I'm really excited and I know there's a good support system here for me.  For us, homeschooling is going to mean a stronger focus on music and art education than we could get in school.  We will probably go with a literature-heavy curriculum.  I plan to do a lot of field trips for social studies and get outside to study nature for science.  I think math will be easily taught at my child's pace rather than that of a large class.  We will look into co-ops later, but not in the first few years.  I'm not going to criticize anyone who chooses to do things differently, but I think this is going to be the best, most enriching situation for my children and our family. 
    Lindley 5/07 Maysie 9/08 imagepregnancy calendar
  • I have nothing bad to say about homeschooling and not sure if I believe that it neglects the social aspect of it all but it's just not something I think I can really handle. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"