Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Helmets and tricycles?

Hi there, just pulled out a hand me down tricycle for DD who will be 3 next month. She got it right away, so I will take off the 'adult steering' handle and let her ride. 

We live 1 block from the playground. I have a helmet for her from when I would ride my bike w/ her on back. My question is, do I make her wear a helmet on a tricycle for one block when I'm with her every step? My impression was that it's for bikes/training wheels where the kids are further from the ground and would keep them from bumping head on a fall. She really can't fall from her trike, it's so low to the ground. 

Some toddlers/preschoolers I see do wear helmets on trikes and most don't. What are your thoughts? It seems like when she gets a "real" bike that's a good time to introduce helmet, but maybe I'm using my own experience, when we didn't wear helmets at all as kids (I do now, for snowboarding, and don't really ride a bike).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Helmets and tricycles?

• Options
    I make my son wear his helmet even if it is only a tric.  They need to get used to wearing a helmet anytime they are on the bike for safety.  Even if it is only a block away.  : )
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options
    akayfakayf member
    Get her used to the helmet now.   It will make it easier for when she has a real bike.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes. DD wears a helmet on her tricycle.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Helmets are for safety.  Even if you are standing next to your child, he could still get hit by say a car, another kid on a bike, etc.  Oh, and kids can fall off of tricycles - mine has when trying to turn it way to fast.  The best to teach your child to wear a helmet at all times when on a bike, scooter, etc is to start now - a trike is a bike plan and simple.  Your standing there is not going to protect your child all the time.  Sorry if this sounds harsh and rude but I have seen too many accidents from people not wearing bike helments.  Even my daycare has the kids where helmets when they ride the trikes - on the soft padding yard that serioulsy could protect you from a fall way worse than from a trike - it is about setting the ton and rules early and always following them - even if you only go a block.  My girls point out every person we pass on a bike that doesn't have a helmet on - they get it.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Thanks everybody!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"