Detroit Babies

Recommend your formula

I thought I would not have to worry about this because I am BFing, but my supply is low:(   I am BFing and pumping and Calla is not gaining any weight, so I will have to start supplementing also.  What kind of formula did you use for your newborn? 

If anyone has any suggestions on increasing supply that would be great too.  I have talked with lactation consultants but cannot get an appt until next week.  They told me to BF, pump afterward, and feed it all to the baby. 

And yes, I feel like a failure, but at this point just want my girl to gain some weight!

Re: Recommend your formula

• First of all, do NOT feel like a failure.  You are doing a great job with Calla!

I have no suggestions on formula, but there are a few things you can do to help increase your supply.  www.kellymom.com is a FANTASTIC resource.  I highly recommend going to the site.

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough water.  You don't want to drink too much b/c it can affect your supply in a bad way, but drink to thirst.  Try to not stress out, that can also affect your supply.  After you nurse, pump.  That will signal to your body to make more milk.  Eat oatmeal, not the quick oats, but the real oatmeal.  Mother's Milk Tea (down with the rest of the teas, they sell it at Meijer) helps.  It's kind of expensive though.  Fenugreek is also recommended. 

Have you also posted this question on the Breastfeeding board?  There are a lot of girls over there that had/have low supply and I'm sure they will offer up a wealth of knowledge to you.  If you have any questions I know Kbaby, myself, and Mary811 have all successfully bf and pumped and we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.  You can contact us on FB as well.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Like Sheila said- you are not a failure!! 

As far as formula, it's kind of a trial and error thing.  Do you have a pedi appointment soon?  If so, ask them for samples.  With both boys I ended up using enfamil gentlease.  It's lower lactose and the proteins are partially broken down, so it's easier for them to digest.  Similac has a similar version, I just found it to be foamy.  Make sure to sign-up on all the formula websites.  They'll send samples as well as formula checks.  Then if you go on swap spot, you can trade the checks you don't need for the ones you do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Big hugs Jane. I am so sorry you are having trouble. Breast feeding is most definitely not easy, so do not feel like a failure. You are a great mom, and Calla is lucky to have you.

Ditto pretty much everything that Sheila said. As far as fluids are concerned you need to drink way more than you would think. They don't have a huge impact on your supply directly (i.e. drinking more doesn't increase your supply) but it is important to stay hydrated to give your body what it needs to sustain milk production. As long as Calla has no milk allergy I would recommend drinking milk. I drank at least 4 glasses a day when Landon was tiny. He then had a dairy sensitivity ad I had to cut it all out, but it was super helpful nutritionally for me when I could do it.

Your body is signaled to make milk by the baby sucking. So the best way to boost your supply is to let her suck suck suck as much as you can stand. Any time she's fussing and seems like she might want to latch, let her. If you are going to pump always let her nurse first and then pump. There are things called SNS's . They have little tubes that allow you to nurse and the formula drips into the babies mouth. These avoid nipple confusion and have the added benefit of letting the baby suck, which boosts your supply.

Also, be sure to be putting lanolin on your nipples even if they aren't sore. It will help. 

A common wives tale is to drink ONE glass of beer or ale per day to boost your supply. It is something in the hops that does it. I have had many friends who have had success with this trick. The current scientific evidence says that it doesn't really have an effect, but at the very least it will help to relax you and relieve some stress. Stress is bad for milk production, so maybe that is why it helps. 

Good luck, and let me know if there is anything else you need or have questions about. I am more than happy to help! 

• Oh, 1 more thing.  Strip her down and do lots of skin to skin contact.  This also helps to signal milk production.

And ditto what Kbaby said with latch her all the time.  You are going to feel like she's attached to you 24/7.  Right now that's what you need, I promise it will get better.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • Thanks for your support everyone.  Trust me, I have been googling my brains out looking for a solution.  I guess it is just upsetting that when my milk came in I thought I was going to have a huge oversupply, and then a few days later my boobs were flat as pancakes.  The lactation consultants in the hospital even said I had great supply.  I think one problem may be we have a latch issue.  Calla doesn't seem to open up wide enough so I am using a nipple shield.  It has been painful but starting to get better.  But I think the shield may cause low production, so I am starting to try to nurse without it.  We just haven't been very successful.

I'm going to make a run to the nutrition store in RO and see if they have Mother's Milk tea or any other supplement to stimulate production.  Thanks again for the advice, I will try anything! 

• *hugs* I just wanted to say that I had low supply too - mixed with my baby blues I just switched 100% over to formula. I felt so guilty & like a total failure too. But in the end my friends reminded me that Dayne was being fed, loved and thriving so it doesn't matter how he gets the food as long as he does. So don't beat yourself up over this. You're doing a great job as Calla's mom and she'll love you for it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You've already been given some great advice, so I won't give you anymore. Just wanted to say you are NOT a failure! You love that little girl and will feed and care for her. You are the best mom for her (Kbaby's wonderful advice).

Big hugs and good luck, in whatever you choose to do.

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • Jane, are you "sandwiching" your breast and tickling her bottom lip with your nipple?  That's what my LC taught me to make sure Gabriel was opening wide enough to latch on.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • imagejanedoe09:

Thanks for your support everyone.  Trust me, I have been googling my brains out looking for a solution.  I guess it is just upsetting that when my milk came in I thought I was going to have a huge oversupply, and then a few days later my boobs were flat as pancakes.  The lactation consultants in the hospital even said I had great supply.  I think one problem may be we have a latch issue.  Calla doesn't seem to open up wide enough so I am using a nipple shield.  It has been painful but starting to get better.  But I think the shield may cause low production, so I am starting to try to nurse without it.  We just haven't been very successful.

That is good news that your supply came in strong!

I think the sheild has a lot to do with it. What shield are you using? Are you using one that goes all the way around, or one that has a gap? The ones with the opening around the edge allow for skin to skin that will help to stimulate your production. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to find examples for you.

As far as latch is concerned what is your routine when latching her? You should take your breast as if it is a sandwich and try to get as much in her mouth as possible.  Don't be afraid to shove it in there. (that's what she said.) If you feel like she isn't on right, take her off and relatch her. It is rare for the first latch of a nursing session to be perfect. The goal is to have the baby compressing the milk sinus' that are located about an inch back from the nipple.  It is hard when they are so tiny, but the goal is to just get as much in there as possible. Her mouth has to be open super wide. If you have to wait for her to be screaming to get a good portion of your areola into her mouth, that is okay. That won't last forever if that is what you need to do.

I don't know how big your chest is, but in the beginning it helped me to roll a towel or swaddle blanket put it under my breast to hold it up a littler. This helped him to get a better angle to the nipple when I was trying to latch him. 

If you can't get into a LC consultant until next week and feel as though you need to see someone sooner, try contacting your local La Leche League. They will send someone out to your house to help you. They are super nice and helpful.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job!  

• Sorry, I know we are throwing a ton of info at you, I hope we aren't overwhelming you!  Are you in Oakland County?  If so, the health department offers LC for free.  They will come to your house.  I would at least call if you are in Oakland County and see if you can get one to come out sooner to help.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • The shield I am using goes all the way around.  I did order some "halfies", hopefully they arrive today.  I am trying to "sandwich" my nipple also, I will have to keep trying I guess.  I have flat nipples too, so the shield helps with that, but she still doesn't open wide enough.  I rotate though all of the possible positions too.

I do have the number for the Oakland County LC, I just haven't called them yet.  I have been working with the Beaumont LC's and they said if she isn't gaining any weight to call and they would get me in sooner.  I called but haven't heard back yet  :( 

I'll keep trying though, she has another appt tomorrow, hopefully she has gained a little by then.

• Hang in there Jane!  You are doing a great job and I know you will overcome this obstacle and it will soon be a distant memory.

Regarding flat nipples, have you tried pumping for a minute first to draw out the nipple so she will latch better?

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • As far as flat nipples, it would help if DS was crying at the boob because it would draw the nipple out and start the milk flowing a little before I even latched him on. Also if you take your breast in your hand and kind of shake it with the nipple pointing down it should help draw the nipple out a little before you try to latch her. I have also heard people have success with gently flicking the nipple to get it more drawn out.

If the half shields don't arrive today, they do have them at BRU so you could run out and get one just in the meantime.

I would call the Beaumont people back.  They were a great help to me over the phone and sometimes if they hadn't called back after a few hours I would call again and they would know I was really desperate for their help.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Most importantly you are asking for help. You CAN do this! Let me know if there is anything else you need. 

• lacahablacahab member

I used Similac Advanced until the recall.   i then switched to the Target brand Up and Up that was comparable to Enfamil Premium.  I LOVED the Up and Up-$18/$19 for a large can! 

I was not successful breastfeeding.  I really had a hard time with giving it up, but my milk supply was not enough.  Don't feel bad if you have to switch to formula.  Once I switched, the guilt of not breastfeeding went away.  I knew my dd was getting the nutrition she needed with formula that I could not provide for her by breastfeeding.

• Thanks everyone, I knew I would get great advice from the experts on this board :)
  • So, I am a little late to the party here, but I have just a couple quick thoughts.

(1) Has the pediatrician/lactation consultant said anything about Calla having a shortened frenulum (sp)? AKA being tounge-tied? Turns out my DD was tounge tied and no one bothered to tell me until she was a few months old and my supply had already dropped. It affects their latch. It can be remedied with a simple procedure. I really wish I knew about it right away with DD, and I will be checking this LO as soon as she pops out! :)

(2) You could go to a La Leche League meeting in Ferndale. Not exactly sure where you are but you said something about Royal Oak, so maybe you are close? It is at the Ferndale Library and I believe it is Thursday June 2. You can double check their website to confirm.  

Everyone else gave great advice too. Good luck and don't stress (as if that's possible)!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenotthebride123:

So, I am a little late to the party here, but I have just a couple quick thoughts.

(1) Has the pediatrician/lactation consultant said anything about Calla having a shortened frenulum (sp)? AKA being tounge-tied? Turns out my DD was tounge tied and no one bothered to tell me until she was a few months old and my supply had already dropped. It affects their latch. It can be remedied with a simple procedure. I really wish I knew about it right away with DD, and I will be checking this LO as soon as she pops out! :)

(2) You could go to a La Leche League meeting in Ferndale. Not exactly sure where you are but you said something about Royal Oak, so maybe you are close? It is at the Ferndale Library and I believe it is Thursday June 2. You can double check their website to confirm.  

Everyone else gave great advice too. Good luck and don't stress (as if that's possible)!

We think DS had the shortened frenulum too we think, but it was too late when we caught it.

As for formula, we use to use Similac w/both kids until the recall.  Then I had to have something different so when I returned my Similac to Sam's club I bought their Members Mark Complete formula & DS took it fine & the pedi was fine with it.  Just the same as the name brands, but you get more for less money.  I paid $19.99 for 48 oz. compared to 32 oz of Similac for $24.

Like everyone else said, you are NOT a failure, as long as DD is getting fed, via breastmilk or formula, you're feeding your baby and that's what's important.  

Good luck & *hugs*!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am way late, but kbaby and sheila can both vouch for me.  I had an awful time getting started with bfing.  Cam's mouth was really small and I'm large chested.  They both told me it would get better, and sure enough it did!  We still have our off days, and he's 4 months now!  But it was worth the crappy part in the beginning. If I didn't have a great support team, I most definitely would have given up bfing in the first two weeks.

A lot of the girls on my month board had supply issues and did what everyone on here has said to do.  MANY of them have had success!  I hope whatever you decide to do/are doing works for you!

The only thing I don't think I saw mentioned on here- do you have a good pump?  I really love my Medela pump and I know a lot of people that switched from others to Medelas and were really happy.

BUT whatever you decide to do is what will be best for Calla, so don't be hard on yourself!  As long as she's fed, she's healthy!!!

• Yes, I have the Medela Pisa. I love it! I see the LC today so hopefully we can figure out a solution that leaves my nips in tact.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"