VBAC

No VBAC but awesome repeat c/s...birth story.

So, my first son was born via c/s after a failed induction and 4 days of labor with failure to progress after every technique in the book was used. I did not get pics in the O.R of meeting my first son, I did not recover with baby because hospital policy was that mom recovered in a separate room while the baby went with Dad and nurses. I did not hold my baby first and only have a video of him meeting my mom, MIL, my brothers etc all before I ever held him.

DH and I wrote a letter to the hospital because they are the only one that allowed VBAC and I really wanted to try to VBAC but did not want to give up the idea of recovering with baby and pics in the OR if I had to have a repeat c/s. My hospital told me they changed the policy after receiving the letter. I was stoked, but hesitant to get my hopes up in case they didn't follow through.

On 5/16 I went in for a repeat c/s because of medical issues and contractions that i'd been having every 5 minutes or so for weeks. I thought for sure I would have progressed and maybe have a shot at trying natural induction, but when checked I was still closed. We were scheduled for noon but an emergency surgery had to be done so we were delayed. I took a nap and we sent the moms and family away and told them to just come back around 4 since they said it'd be 4:30 or so. Around 3 something they came and said "wer'e ready for you" so we had to hurry and call everyone to come back early. My heart was racing! 

DH showed the nurses how to work the camera and we went over the plan to make sure they knew I was to recover with the baby etc. The manager attended the birth to make sure everything went as planned. Once the baby was out, he cried right away. I was told he was bald and I was shocked because my DS had a full head of black hair when he was born. He does have some hair, but it's very light and DH couldn't tell at first. Right after they got him out they undid my arm and let me have him on my chest and put my arm around him. The nurse took sooo many pics of us as a family and of baby right after he was out. 

It was absolutely amazing to spend those first moments with my baby rather than having him carted away with Daddy and the nurses. After I was closed up they moved baby and I to recovery where he latched right away like a champ. He was screaming before that and has my personality so far. Haha. I cannot explain how amazing it was to spend that time with just us as a family while nursing and singing to baby. Alexander was 7 lbs 6 oz and feisty!

When ready, they wheeled us out and all of my family was there. I was holding the baby by myself as we got wheeled into the room. I got to see all of the emotion of my family meeting our second son. I got to experience everyone else's joy of meeting him and I cried. 

I know it probably seems standard, but I didn't realize I wouldn't get all of these things with my first son and really felt like I missed out afterwards. I feel like I had the perfect birth experience even though I was unable to have a VBAC. There is not one thing I would change about the experience. I hope someone reading this may be inspired to request changes if their hospital's policy doesn't match their wishes. My experience showed me that you can have a c-section and still have an amazingly bonding birth experience. If anyone is unable to have a VBAC, I hope they at least have an amazing experience like I did. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No VBAC but awesome repeat c/s...birth story.

• Oh that is so awesome! : )  I got to hold my DS right after my c section (he was breech) and it was so amazing...I will never forget those first few moments.  Congratulations!
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm glad you had such a great experience!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • iris427iris427 member
    Wow, Princess, what a great story!  Congrats!!  I'm so glad you had a wonderful birth this time around.  I'm so happy for you.  And how awesome that you wrote your hospital a letter and got them to change their policy.  That is truly inspiring.  A lot of women will benefit from what you have done. :)

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh wow, thank you for sharing! I did get to recover with my baby, and when I read so many birth stories saying otherwise, I was shocked and terribly saddened. I know sometimes there is a problem and it can't be helped, but I do not understand routine separation. I'm so glad one more hospital has come to see the light! So many women can have happier stories now. Congrats on your DS!
  • This is a wonderful CS story!  I am so glad the hospital worked with you and showed that they were concerned about your wishes for your birth.  Congrats!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Your story just made me cry...Your 1st c/s was exactly like mine.  I honestly didn't feel cheated that I didn't get to do a vaginal birth, but I was (and still am) very sad about the fact that I -HIS MOMMY- didn't get to hold him first...second...third...fourth!  I was the LAST person to hold him! It was 3 HOURS after he was born and there weren't even any complications with the delivery. Sad  I fear that I may have to have another c/s and I don't want this to happen again.  My Dr. said that she can keep people out and let us recover alone, but I don't want people out...I just want to hold my baby first and see him for more than 2 seconds!  Last time the nurses wouldn't let me hold him because I was shivering too much. REALLY!?  I'm sure my husband, mom, ANYONE would have stood by too make sure that I didn't "shiver" him out of my grasp!  As you can see I'm still a little bitter about it Stick out tongue

I would LOVE to have the experience you had.  I was thinking of writing a c/s birth plan. Very simple:

-Show him to me over the curtain when he comes out

-Let me see while he is cleaned off etc.

-Let us get pictures.

-Let my husband help me hold him or hold him near me.

-Let ME hold him FIRST and NOT 1-2-3 HOURS later!

I just wish I wasn't such a wimp and could voice my wishes without being such a pushover Sad

Congratulations to you and your family!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • erbearerbear member
    That's so great. I felt the same way...I had a "failed" VBAC (I pushed for an hour then ended up with a section) but everything about the way the hospital handled my second birth vs my first was better. It makes such a difference. I;m glad you had a good birth..
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • This story gives me hope too.  I think my main issue with my c/s was not being able to be with my DD.  I carried her all those months and then I was the last to be with her.  I love that you planned how to have the c/s and what you wanted.  I feel like I was a pushover in my delivery with DD, and will definitely speak up.  I want to VBAC the next one, but I think I will write a c/s plan just in case.  Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Thank you all. :) It's not being rude to ask for what you want. The worst they can do is say no, and if that's the case you can always look for other options that your insurance will cover (different hospitals etc) that are more in line with your wishes.

Mentally it makes a huge difference to feel immediately bonded to my baby and to have the experience I did this time.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Awesome birth story - it brought tears to my eyes.  My C/S was just like your first and I believe I will have another and to have it be like your second would be so awesome.  I hated being separated from DD right after she was born.  I know DH was with her, but it wasn't the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"