3rd Trimester
Options

Walking dogs while preggo.... vent!

I want to preface by saying my husband and his fam are wonderful, but in this particular situation, I REALLY need to vent. We have a 50 pound dog at home who is amazing and so good. My husband usually walks her. My husband's parents have an 80 pound dog who is pretty easy to watch in the house, but is tough on the leash. She has gotten in fights with other dogs and just this past weekend, she bit my in-law's neighbor. She can get pretty aggressive. Even when not particularly aggressive, she will pull on the leash, and she is very heavy.

My husband's parents often bring her to our house when they go away. She was just with us for a week while I was 32 weeks pregnant, and my husband asked during that week if I would please walk the dogs separately since I am home in the afternoon. I refused to walk Roxy given her behavior on the leash, because I didnt feel comfortable while pregnant.

Now I just found out Roxy is coming over tonight until Friday again. My husband got a new job and is going to a happy hour to celebrate his last day at work with his coworkers tomorrow. Since he won't be home till later, he asked me again if I could walk the dogs separately tomorrow night.

I got really pissed off. I dont know how can he expect me at this state to walk his parents dog who is really hard to control. I am almost 35 weeks pregnant now and can barely walk up the stairs!! Why would he even ask that of me. I understand he has his happy hour, but maybe he should have thought of that before offering his parents to let their dog come over our place and place the walking responsibilities on me.

Grrrrrrrrrr, I am so annoyed. I also dont understand why his family doesnt realize this is an extra burden for us while I am super pregnant- we already have a dog in a small rowhome. They have their own dog walker- I really wish they would call her.

Am I overreacting or what? Thanks for listening to me vent!!!!!!!

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Walking dogs while preggo.... vent!

• Options
    No I don't think you are over reacting.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Options

Not over reacting at all. 

If the dog pulls too hard, you may be pulled forward. The last thing you need is to fall on your belly. Or fall at all.  

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mcatmaymcatmay member

Having two dogs that aren't as well trained as they should be on the leash (one is 55 lbs, the other 75 lbs), i totally, TOTALLY understand where you're coming from. I'm just 30 weeks and i holler and snap at the dogs when they get rowdy and keep them on a short leash because i can't have them pulling on me. 

I'm sorry that you have to do this - all it does take is one fall.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    No you arent over reacting... I would let him take her when he gets home or call the dog walker.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't walk her.  It's not your responsibility. 

I have stopped walking my two 80 pound dogs because there are too many loose dogs in the neighborhood and I don't feel like I can handle an altercation if one was to arise.  My dogs are awesome on a leash but I don't think I could break up a dog fight right now.  We live in a horse community and everyone just lets their dogs roam - it's super annoying.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have a dog that is a 130 pounds and a dog who is 65 pounds, my 130 pound dog walks so well. He never pulls and has to have his side touching your side. My other dog walks between your legs lol. I was told by my doctor I was not allowed to walk either of them after 20 weeks. No matter how well trained they are. She told me with pregnancy balance and just a little pull could make you fall. So no I wouldn't walk them!

• Options

I have two larger dogs & while they could probably wait until my husband returned from work to go to the bathroom (he walks them in the morning), I refuse to make them wait.  Twice a day I put them on the leash & head out the front door with them (individually) to an area of grass in our yard that is large enough for them to squat on.  I figure if they can at least pee they are getting some relief.  I also scour the neighborhood for anythign that may distract them and cause me to have to use force to hold them back.  I haven't had any incidents yet!

It took one of my dogs a little while to understand that she only got that small time outside during the day & she better make use of it. 

Good luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"