Single Parents
Options

Any KS moms? Have a friend in need

I know NOTHING about US laws and how they vary from state-to-state, but I have a good friend who's in a sticky situation.

Condom broke, she took the morning after pill, but still got pregnant. Father demanded a paternity test before agreeing to paying child support. Test came back positive that it is his kid.

He's doing everything he can to NOT pay child support. He's talking about signing away his parental rights, like it's something he can just do, and then be absolved of all responsibility for his child, financial or otherwise. She barely makes enough money to get everything done to request child support, and is trying to find out what she can do without having to pay a consult fee for a lawyer.

Any tips on how she can handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. If she was in Canada, I'd have info for her in a heartbeat, but I'm so lost when it comes to U.S. intricacies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

And Then There Were Three...
Married: 08/14/10
Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
June Moms Blog

Re: Any KS moms? Have a friend in need

• Options

KS mommy here! If she goes to her local SRS office or online she can file for child support for free and it will automatically come out of his paycheck once they get everything settled. It took 8 months from the day I filed to when I got my first check and he was very cooperative.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know she'll be thrilled there's an online option, thanks!

Any insight on the parental rights situation? Am I correct in assuming he can't just sign a paper and have it be like he never fathered a child?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesunset+skies:

I know she'll be thrilled there's an online option, thanks!

Any insight on the parental rights situation? Am I correct in assuming he can't just sign a paper and have it be like he never fathered a child?

Yes, that's correct. The only way he would be able to do that is if she were to get married and her husband would be willing to adopt the child. They would then have to go through the court for this to happen.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"