VBAC
Options

To those who've attempted VBAC - successful or not...

As of right now, I'm planning on attempting a VBAC with my supportive OB.  However, I am super worried that she will suggest a RCS at the first sign that labor is not progressing as she'd like.  I don't KNOW that she'll do this, but I want to be prepared for it. 

Would hiring a doula be helpful for this?  I shy away from the midwife option because I do really love my OB and would like her to deliver my baby.  But I just REALLY want to give VBAC a chance and the closer I get to DD, the more concerned I become that I don't have all my bases covered... 

Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: To those who've attempted VBAC - successful or not...

• Options
    Statistically, VBACs are more successful if the patient has a doula.  In a hospital setting, and especially if you're not guaranteed to have your (I'm assuming your truly supportive) doctor at the delivery I'd say definitely get one.  We had one (and when I say we, I say this because DH found her more helpful than I did - in a good way!) and it did give me the confidence to stay at home longer, which I think may have made a big difference.  It also was nice a few times in the process of the VBAC as she was another reasonable voice near the end, where it looked like I might be induced. 
  • Options
    I talked pretty extensively with my midwife about what conditions would mean CS and what wouldn't. I didn't hire a doula, so I can't really give advice on them except to say I don't regret not having one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I, too, have heard that statistically you have a better chance with a doula.  That said- I hired one but did not end up calling her to the hospital because in the moment, I really didn't want more people there.  I was successful with my VBAC (with a supportive midwife).

A doula can help ,but they can't argue with a doctor.  They are there to support you.  If a doctor starts suggesting a CS, they will be talking to you about that and not arguing with the doula (who is there to support you during labor).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies.  I really appreciate your input.  I think I'll likely hire one - especially for the reasons given by papagena.  I want to feel confident staying at home as long as possible and also have some support for my DH too!  Thanks again!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"