D.C. Area Babies

thoughts on MD crib bumper ban?

DH forwarded me this article from WaPo - apparently they're considering banning the sale of crib bumpers in MD. Thoughts?

Honestly, we had ours in from day one with no problems. At first, he was swaddled/in a positioner so he wasn't moving, and then once he moved, there wasn't anything we could have really done anyway, Now he likes to cuddle and/or fling his limbs over it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: thoughts on MD crib bumper ban?

• I personally think it is ridiculous.  Do they not think they we are adults capable of making informed decisions?  Plus, once DD started moving around at night (a lot) the bumpers helped shield her from her constant rolling into the sides of the crib.  They do serve a purpose other than the baby death traps they are making it out to be.  That said, I generally have problems with the government in folks bedrooms. 
  • While I agree that we are adults who can make informed decisions without those decisions being made for us, the reality is that these bumpers are a hazard, just like blankets and stuffed animals, perhaps even more so. Not just because babies might roll into them and suffocate, but because they might get caught or stuck on the bumpers.  There is also some evidence that they may contribute to SIDS because they block the flow of air, causing CO2 to collect.  The following link is by no means comprehensive, but it offers a good overview:

https://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/bumpersafety.htm

We used bumpers for DD#1 without incident (just 4 short years ago), but when we were setting up the crib for DD#2, DH was adamant about not having the bumpers (he works in the public health and safety industry).  I was concerned about DD getting her legs caught in the crib slats and/or bumping into the crib.  It turned out that my concerns were unfounded.  She moves around A LOT when she sleeps, but I can only remember one time when her foot got caught out of the crib and caused her any discomfort or frustration and she doesn't seem to have any issues bumping into the crib.

The Maryland approach may seem extreme, but IMHO it doesn't seem all that different from when CPSC recalls a particular toy or other product or the FDA recalls certain foods.  We generally applaud when the government steps in on those cases to protect the consumer.  Isn't this the same?

• Loading the player...
  • I'm torn. I understand there are safety risks with bumpers. But it also doesn't seem like a good idea to let your kid bang his head against the wooden crib slats if he moves a lot in his sleep. Maybe they need to start making upholstered cribs.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • What's the goal of this potential legislation? If it's to reduce deaths from SIDS, there's a whole host of other factors - like smoking in the home, blankets, pillows - that aren't addressed.

That being said, I thought better of having crib bumpers in when DS was 10 weeks, when I found him rolled into one (he had not moved previously) and took them out. We've had the breathable bumpers since to prevent hands and feet from going between the crib rails. If I had it to do over again, I just would have bought a cute crib skirt and skipped the whole set, since we don't use the quilt or bumpers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think that banning the sale won't cause a sharp decrease in SIDS cases, but I do think that banning the sale will shine a spotlight on the issue... which is that these folks want consumers to become informed about bumpers, know the risks, and buy/use them with caution/care.  In other words banning the sale isn't going to do a damn thing (there is this little thing called the internet - and you can order bumpers from anywhere in the world!), but it will highlight the issue - hopefully - and make people have a dialogue/think twice/use at their own risk.

PS - with my two girls and the plan for my DS is: I use no bumpers when they're really little and not rolling around, breathable bumper when they do start to roll around, and regular bumpers when they're rolling around so much they're slamming their heads against the side of the crib (and to me, old enough to not get stuck or suffocate in a bumper).  When they're old enough to use the bumper as a launch pad to hurl themselves out of the crib, I put them in a regular bed.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Ehh. I think banning is a step too far. What about large warnings in stores or something? We put in C's bumper when he started really rocking and rolling (and once his risk of SIDS and asphyxiation when waaay down) and I've never regretted it.

I'm also curious about numbers. How many deaths are directly related to bumpers? How many are SIDS cases where a number of other factors were at play? 

• imageMrsPhilDunphy:

Ehh. I think banning is a step too far. What about large warnings in stores or something? We put in C's bumper when he started really rocking and rolling (and once his risk of SIDS and asphyxiation when waaay down) and I've never regretted it.

I'm also curious about numbers. How many deaths are directly related to bumpers? How many are SIDS cases where a number of other factors were at play? 

From the article AMH lnked to:

A study from Washington University in St. Louis (PDF) looked at infant deaths attributed to crib bumpers from 1985 to 2005 and found that 27 children under the age of 2 died due to strangulation or suffocation by bumper pads or their ties. The study also found another 25 children who were injured but not killed by bumper pads. 

• are breathable bumpers being banned also? (sorry, too lazy to read the whole article right now...)
  • we also used a bumper with both kids from the very beginning; I think banning it is ridiculous, as anyone can drive into VA or DC and buy one.

• mcatmaymcatmay member
    I like what the article had to say - the ban is to highlight the fact that bumpers can be dangerous. Parents can still do whatever they want to and get bumpers elsewhere (i'm sure you can order them online just as easily) but it would cut down on the advertising of them and at least make people aware. I think that it's so easy to get sucked in to the 'cute' factor (because, honestly, they also DO look cute!) and perhaps not consider other issues. I have no issues with anyone who uses them but i don't feel their right for us - that being said, baby is still in the belly so we'll see how i feel when she's older ;-) As of now, we're ordering the breathable bumpers, which i know have their own issues in that they can fold down but, in terms of risk, i'd rather a bump on the head or even, at the worst, a broken arm/leg, then a potential suffocation. 
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • We've used breathable bumpers until he was about 12 months, then just took them out entirely. I never wanted bumpers, because I am one of those people that once I know there is a potential risk I have a hard time not worrying about it. I know, this could be said for A LOT of things in life, there is always risk...this was one that I just figured was easy enough to avoid for us. FWIW, he moves a TON and we've never had any issues with the breathable ones or just not using at all. It also makes the sheet a lot easier to change! Honestly, most people I know use the regular ones from day one, so I know we're in the minority and I'm a worrier...

I think a complete ban is silly. But I also think that most people don't know there is any risk associated at all. Like pp's said, I think it just may highlight that parents need to think about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We did the same as artslvr - they went it when they were old enough to roll and smack their heads on the crib and get stuck between the slats.  I think a ban might be a little much unless they want to ban all the other unsafe products around kids.  Blinds with cords freak me out more than a crib bumper and what about the teething gels etc that can make kids sick. 
  • I am fine with the ban. Even if the SIDS risk is small I would rather have a kid with a bruised/broken limb than one who suffocated you know? Plus there are a LOT of ladies who are not as well read as the ladies on this board who have no clue that bumpers can be risky. At the very least, I think they should contain some kind of obvious warning (and maybe they do, I have never bought them so I don't know)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"