Hawaii Babies

Speaking of sunscreen...

I am not sure who I can ask about this because we don't have a pedi yet, and I'm not sure my OB will know (but will probably ask at my next appt anyway). Can you can really use sunscreen on newborns?

Our little man is due in August, and well it's (usually) hot as balls in NYC during the summer. Ideally I want to take him out (covered as much as possible of course) and I'll need to take him out once I return to work, but have heard differing opinions on whether or not it's safe to use sunscreen on them. I use sunscreen on my face and chest every day, so I figured he should get some too if we're going outside... right?

Anyway, I've heard the "you can't use sunscreen on a baby until 6 months" advice. But on the other hand, a friend's pedi said it's okay to use sunscreen on them. She said they only say not to use them because it gives some people a false sense of security and they keep their babies out alllll day in the sun. So she mentioned they tell people "no sunscreen" to minimize time in the sun (but recommend that if the sun is unavoidable, to put some on them). Little man will be part Irish, and if he has anything like his father's skin... we definitely need some sunscreen!

Any advice? Do I not need to put sunscreen on him if we're just going out for a walk/errands (but I mean, I put it on and I just walk from home to the bus to the office and back - never outside for more than 20 minutes at a time)? Long sleeves and a hat? If the latter -- do you have recommendations for long sleeves?

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Speaking of sunscreen...

• I remember asking my pedi and she did recommend covering them with a blanket or umbrella to block the sun instead of sunscreen when they were younger than 6 months, but she said it was mostly a concern about them being in the sun too long before they are able to regulate their body temps.  LO was born in Sept so it was still really hot here too, but whenever we went for walks/errands I would just use a light blanket and pull the cover/umbrella of her stroller over her and tried to avoid outdoors during the hottest part of the day.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks! We did buy one of those ROSK blankets (if it reeeeeeally works, I don't know, but I'm a sucker). I know that our Ergo has a little head cover, and I'm not sure how much the Moby will expose him? But I can always cover him with another blanket in the carseat/stroller.
    cai(o)&cullen+ahk
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't use sunscreen till 6 months. Before that, we just had him wear hats or cover up with a lightweight blanket when we were out, like A+A or other muslin fabrics that are really breathable and cool. I'd also use BabyLegs if he was wearing shorts and needed a quick cover-up. The shade on the Ergo or carseat carrier or stroller are really helpful, too.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • here's a post someone linked to on my month board - linky

summary - sunblock (physical blocker) is okay for anyone, including babies under 6 months.  sunscreen (chemical blocker) shouldn't be used by anyone.  the difference is in the ingredients.  sunblock is titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (ie, the same active ingredients as in a lot of diaper rash cream).  the industry uses the terms interchangeably, so it's important to read labels and look at the active ingredients.

i thought that was pretty helpful!  that said, we always make sure LO is covered when out in the sun (which hasn't happened much around here yet, but will happen more soon - yay summer!)

• yes you should use mechanical blockers not chemical blockers on babies

DH said that if your LO has fair skin you should definitely use sunblock even if under 6 mos and you are only running errands.... kind of like how you said you wear it on your face daily even though you aren't going to the beach or anything :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"