D.C. Area Babies
Options

DD is turning 4: ideas for chores & privileges?

DD turns four in less than a month, and it's an opportunity to introduce more privileges and expectations for her.  She's a great helper when I ask her to do things for me or her brother, and I think she'd enjoy new "big girl" responsibilities.  She's already doing the expected stuff like dressing herself completely, washing her hands before meals, cleaning up toys, putting her laundry in the hamper or back in her dresser, etc.  She enjoys dusting and washing mirrors, but those are done on an as-needed basis.  I'm looking for things to put on a "daily chore chart."

What sounds reasonable to expect a four-year old to be able to do independently with a minimum of reminding and oversight by me?  She's limited because of being kind of short for her age, so some things I know she could mentally/emotionally understand and handle (like clearing her dishes and putting them in the sink or brushing her teeth with no parental help) will have to wait another year until she's taller.  I'm brainstorming for: (1) getting ready in the morning, (2) mealtime, (3) cleaning, (4) bath time, and (5) bedtime.

On the flip side, what sort of new privileges could she earn with her new age?  I put her and DS to bed at the same time because letting her stay up later would make for a long night for me - but that's all I can think of right now.  If we're going to expect more from her now, there should be positives to turning four as well.  Maybe an allowance?  Any ideas are appreciated.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DD is turning 4: ideas for chores & privileges?

• Options
    Do you have a pet?  If they get dry food she could always give them the cup of food (of whatever is appropriate).  That's all I've got for now  :)
  • Options
    JKM416JKM416 member

imagehollace:
    Do you have a pet?  If they get dry food she could always give them the cup of food (of whatever is appropriate).  That's all I've got for now  :)

We do: two cats.  And she loves to give them treats (enough that they get an upset stomach...fun...).  Although the food has been hidden in the pantry and their bowls are up on a counter from when DS was crawling and into everything.  I can put the bowls back where we originally had them and test whether he's outgrown his need to make a mess of it all - she could be in charge of refilling their food.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD is 4. Her chores she's supposed to do are 

- make her bed (this does not always get done)

- set out the silverware, napkins and kid plates - they are in a low cabinet. DS usually helps her and they each get their own water cups and fill from them dispenser on the outside of the fridge

- take her dinner plate to the sink - she puts it on the counter, DS takes his own too

- feeding the dogs in the morning 

- puts away her clean laundry - I make a pile for each drawer and she puts it away 

She usually folds her own laundry when I'm folding the rest of it. I usually do this when DS is napping and she doesn't nap anymore.

DD doesn't get an allowance because she doesn't really understand the concept of money quite yet. Our plan is start allowance with each child once they start kindergarten. She has a Leapster so "Leapster time", watching a TV show, an extra book at bedtime and having a treat after dinner are the privileges she can earn or lose. For awhile I had a chart that she could fill with little stickers and once she filled it up, she could pick something out from the dollar section at Target but we kind of forgot about it after a few weeks.  

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options

Tomas' chores include:

- feeding the cats in the morning and evening

- collecting the mail in the afternoon

- making up his bed (he does this about 2-3x/week)

- putting away his toys (he's great at this, he is not allowed to take new toys out until old toys are put away and he is perturbed when his friends come over and take everything out at once)

- sometimes he helps with dinner (he loves to be the mixer)

- putting dirty clothes in the laundry and clean clothes away

soon, i will ask him to also help his dad with the laundry (separating lights from darks).

for rewards, he loves to get compliment notes at tae kwon do. he can get a stripe on his belt in front of the class for doing good things at home or at school. he really values these stripes and i use them for reward (or punishment - no stripe this week). 

we don't do allowance yet, either. he finds loose change around and asks if he can put it in his piggy bank. 

he is only allowed to watch tv on weekend mornings and some saturday afternoons. 

extra perks include Wii time, going to the park, play dates with his bff, and special outings with mom or dad. we don't get to do that so much with the baby around, so it's a treat for him to share some private time with one of his parents.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"