VBAC
Options

Question regarding VBAC

I posted something similar on this board a few weeks ago.  I'm still lost as far as what I should do.  Let me give you a little background first.  I had DS via emergency CS due to pre-e.  I was admitted to the hospital 3 days before he was born due to protein in my urine and high bp.  They tried 3 times to induce me and nothing happened.  He was 9lbs 5 oz.  I'm very petite (5 foot tall) so that was surprising.  I am currently due at the end of July and I was diagnosed with GD.  My sugars are fine and baby is fine, but she is measuring on the large side for her gestational age (4 lbs at just under 30 weeks).  That's normal and probably due to the GD.  I know with DS he gained a lot of weight towards the end of my pregnancy.  I was gaining more than the pound a week they said I should and even had me on a diet.  After, the MW's said that it was probably DS that caused the weight gain. 

I talked to my doctor this morning about whether or not I should attempt VBAC.  She said its up to me and that nothing is set in stone as far as my ability to VBAC at this point.  She said that due to the size of DS and so far the size of DD chances are that she is going to be big as well.  Plus there's the risk of pre-e.  She said that at this point I can still hope for VBAC.  But she said that I could opt for RCS if I wanted.  She took a peek at the calendar and said I'd probably be scheduled July 18 if I had RCS and asked me to schedule my next appointment with the doctor who will likely be doing the RCS.

I really want to VBAC, but I'm scared that is not a possibility at this point.  I don't know if I should go through this only to end up in the same situation as before.  I really don't want to go through the whole induction thing again.  Also, I'm afraid that this baby is going to be huge and I'm afraid of pushing out a baby that's likely to be 10 lbs.  DH is telling me to go for the RCS, but I can't help but to feel guilty about it.  I just don't know what to do. 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question regarding VBAC

• Options

Is July 18th after your EDD? I think I responded to your last post but I still maintain that I personally would still try for the VBAC.  Or have the RCS scheduled around 41 weeks and do that if you are still pregnant then if you don't want to try to induce.  

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty.  This is totally your decision. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

The 18th is a week before my due date.  I don't know how well scheduling it for 41 weeks will work.  I have an increased risk for pre-e due to having it before.  Also, having GD ups the risk for pre-e as well. 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There have been lots of women VBAC bigger babies than their first.  The size itself shouldn't be an issue.  I would say if that is your concern then you have to work through that and search out VBAC birth stories with big babies for encouragement. 

You totally can VBAC, but it is your choice and you have to feel comfortable with it.  Do you guys think you might want more kids after this?  The risks for RCS increase with each one so if you're even thinking you might have more I would really encourage you to go for your VBAC. 

• Options

I personally would go for the vbac, but I had a horrible experience with my csection and don't want that to happen again.

But I agree with pp, maybe schedule the c section a week after your due date.  

• Options

This definitely is a decision you need to make. 

I think what helped me with the VBAC journey was that I tried to set myself up to have a good experience for either a VBAC or a RCS.  I definitely tried hard for my VBAC and would have been disappointed had it not worked out, but I also told my doctor, DH & doula what was important to me if I had a c/s - actually, I wish I'd discussed it more, looking back, even though I didn't need it.  That way I felt that I could have a better experience and be more at peace either way.  I knew what I didn't like about my first c/s, and would have been more vocal about changing the things I had power to (getting more time with baby before we were separated, nursing sooner, etc). 

It helped me to write down my 1st experience, figure out what I really had issues with, and see what power, if any, I had to change those things.  Then I talked to my support team about the ones I felt we could toy with.  It helped me a lot, even though it was still a very emotional process.  

Personally, for me it was important to try, and at least be in labor for a bit even if I ended up with a c/s.  That may not be the case for you, but it was for me, so if I was in your situation, I'd still go for the VBAC.  Again, that doesn't mean that's the right choice for you, but it sounds like your doctor is still supportive of you making that choice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you want to avoid induction, you could go ahead and schedule the RCS (for however late you and your doctor are comfortable going, given GD), but make it clear that if you go into labor on your own before that, you'd like to go for the VBAC. Just a thought. It really depends on your comfort level and your own reasons for wanting VBAC. Whatever you decide, you should definitely not feel guilty! However she gets here, your DD is lucky to have a mom who already cares so very much about her.
  • Options
    My DS2 was 2+ lbs and 2+ in bigger than DS1, whose birth was a c-section. If you go into labor on your own (vs being induced), that ups your chances of a VBAC. I think lorry's idea of scheduling a RCS as late as possible is a good one.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"