Hawaii Babies

I dont know if its Mastitis or something worse.

For the past 4 weeks I've had this annoying lump in my left breast since I stopped BF. I went to see the doctor for my 6 week pp appointment and my doctor was concerned, but not alarmed since I had no fever, chills or even pain that accompanied it. She told me to keep applying heat, massaging and to call back the following week. Well, it never got better. In fact, it got worse. I'm still not having any fever that says mastitis, but its red, HUGE and has shooting pain. I'm now on antibiotics but I need to go get an ultrasound on it to see if its worse, like an abscess. I'm so nervous and scared because I have been on 2 full days worth of antibiotics and nothing seems better. The pain is still there and so is this lump. I sure hope I don't have to get surgery to get this drained :( Thanks for letting me vent! :(
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: I dont know if its Mastitis or something worse.

• ouch! that sounds so unpleasant and painful.  I hope it gets better soon.  FWIW, I think many docs say abx take 3-5 days to clear up the infection, not sure if that is for all infections or what, but just wanted to let you know that abx could still work if it is an infection.
  • MrsZizMrsZiz member
    sounds like a clogged milk duct to me thats how mine was when i had one when I was nursing bella(red, hard, huge, shooting pain, no fever)... I was still nursing so I pumped and nursed until it went away. can you try calling the LC at your hospital and see if they have any suggestions since you aren't still nursing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Ouch, I'm sorry. I had the occasional lump (no pain) and sometimes I could actually "pop" it. Gross, I know. I've also had clogged ducts (no fever or chills), and those hurt like heck. I applied hot compresses and nursed through them for relief -- I just had to keep at it and then eventually, in a moment, it would clear. I'm not sure what your case is since you stopped BFing 4 weeks ago, but maybe hot compressing and light massage to try to unclog it might help? Take care and I hope you find relief soon!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsZiz:
    sounds like a clogged milk duct to me thats how mine was when i had one when I was nursing bella(red, hard, huge, shooting pain, no fever)... I was still nursing so I pumped and nursed until it went away. can you try calling the LC at your hospital and see if they have any suggestions since you aren't still nursing?
    I haven't even thought about that. I thought if you pumped it would produce more milk and since I'm not nursing or pumping I shouldn't do that? Good idea about the LC, I might give that a try :)
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • MrsZizMrsZiz member

imageMauiBride2008:
    imageMrsZiz:
    I haven't even thought about that. I thought if you pumped it would produce more milk and since I'm not nursing or pumping I shouldn't do that? Good idea about the LC, I might give that a try :)

That's the idea, if you pump you get more milk BUT in your case if it is a plugged duct I'm not sure how you'd get rid of it. I had to do warm compresses and tons of massage while pumping, it took a long time for the plug to release. Like I said though, I'm not sure what you do if you don't plan to BF or pump... that's why you should call the LC. It doesn't sound like mastitis to me since you dont' have a fever. I would call an LC and see how they see to relieve it, also describe it to them because maybe I'm wrong and it's not a plugged duct. I'm no expert! :) 

• imageMrsZiz:

imageMauiBride2008:
    imageMrsZiz:

That's the idea, if you pump you get more milk BUT in your case if it is a plugged duct I'm not sure how you'd get rid of it. I had to do warm compresses and tons of massage while pumping, it took a long time for the plug to release. Like I said though, I'm not sure what you do if you don't plan to BF or pump... that's why you should call the LC. It doesn't sound like mastitis to me since you dont' have a fever. I would call an LC and see how they see to relieve it, also describe it to them because maybe I'm wrong and it's not a plugged duct. I'm no expert! :) 

My 1st thought was also clogged ducts. This also happened to me occasionally. Since I EP'd, I would just pump and do hot shower. However, I have weaned for a couple of weeks now. I got the same lump when I was weaning. I just pumped enough to release the pressure. Massage your breast while pumping. Hope that will clear it out.

• i too, had always though mastitis meant you had to have a fever, but one of my friends got diagnosed with mastitis, even without a fever - the doctor said it hadn't gone systemic yet.  her boob was red and hot to the touch, with pain radiating out from the nipple.   so yeah, definitely talk to a LC!  they can point you in the right direction.  when i had mastitis, the antibiotics made me feel better w/in 24 hours, no more fever and feeling like i got ran over by a truck, but i'm pretty sure it took longer than that for the infection to clear up.  hope you feel better soon!  boob pain is no fun at all

imageeacerna:
    However, I have weaned for a couple of weeks now.

you and julie are rockstars for pumping as long as you did!

• imageSanHawaii08:

imageeacerna:
    However, I have weaned for a couple of weeks now.

you and julie are rockstars for pumping as long as you did!

Thanks. I am happy I was able to do it for 6 months. It was tough. I am glad my poor boobies can get some rest now lol.

• i hope it isn't an abscess!

i agree it could be a clogged duct....you could try pumping but just enough to relieve the pressure and clear the clog.  that might mean you have to "wean" your boobs slowly if they start to produce some milk in response to it but the idea would be to pump only enough to unclog the duct but not so much that you stimulate much production.  kellymom.com has good tips for clogged ducts but i agree a consult with a LC is in order!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"