Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Did you sign a prenup?

And what does your entail? Or if not, why not?

Re: Did you sign a prenup?

• Options
    No.  Neither of us had any assets of value, so we didn't see the need for one. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    No. & I wouldn't even entertain the thought. It's like planning to fail.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, and like CG neither of us had anything coming into it.
  • Options
    Nope and I never would.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    No, but neither of us had assets of significant enough value to warrant one. I can understand why people do, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We did't really have anything to protect. We met young and we were both broke as a joke. :)

I could see having one though if you have a business or properties, just to be safe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JhawkCEJhawkCE member
    No, I asked my husband if his family would be more comfortable if we signed one, but he said they didn't care so we didn't. 
  • Options
    Rach21Rach21 member
    No, we didn't sign a pre-nup. We merged everything when we married. That being said, I would have considered a pre-nup if we were both independently wealthy and had been married with children before we came together. That way, we could each be sure that whatever assets were linked to our children would stay with our children. I don't side-eye people who do prenups. Money issues are one of the greatest causes for divorce today. If you took care of all the $$ issues up front, then cool beans. My DH and I didn't really have a whole bunch of $$ when we got married, so it wouldn't have really mattered to us.
    imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • Options
    imagehermione76:
    Nope and I never would.
    This. We didn't have anything when we got married so it wasn't an issue any way.
  • Options

imageMamaLBF:

Agreed. 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. We were both poor college students when we met. Even if we weren't though, I don't think I would have signed one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No because the only assets we had are our backsides.
    Me: 31   DH: 34
    Married: 5/12/07
    DD: 7/28/10
    TTC#2: 10/2014

• Options
    No.  But I wouldn't have had a problem signing one if the subject had come up. 
  • Options
    Kate621Kate621 member
    No. We were married while we were still in college. If thought he wanted to fight me for my hand me down couch and collection of Judd Apatow movies I might have though.
  • Options

imageSweeti7307:

Haha.  Love it.  And love the new pic! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageSweeti7307:

ILY. A lot.

To answer the question, we didn't sign a prenup. I agree with the person who said it's almost like planning to fail. 

TTC #2 since 09/2016
    BFP 11/29 - m/c @ 5w
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagealduarte:

imageSweeti7307:

Haha.  Love it.  And love the new pic! 

Thank you. As I love yours. 

• Options
    imagekheel1205:

imageSweeti7307:

ILY. A lot.

To answer the question, we didn't sign a prenup. I agree with the person who said it's almost like planning to fail. 

Lol. I do feel like it is kind of planning to fail as well. DH and I went into it as forever. And thats how we always think of it.

• Options
    To be honest, we didn't but did talk about it.  We both eventually agreed that we came into the marriage with very little, so it wasn't really worth it.  He does joke about getting a "post-nup" every time he buys a lotto ticket!
  • Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

No, we are Catholic and do not believe in divorce. Plus we have grown up together (started dating at 15), so most of our "stuff" was, well "ours". And any future monies/items of value would be family heirlooms with the undertanding that it stays in the family.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I'm curious as to what this means. I don't think anyone goes into marriage believing they'll get divorced (but, I could be wrong). When you say you don't believe in divorce do you mean that no matter what you would never get divorced?

I'm also curious if there are people out there who have gotten married who "believe" in divorce.

• Options

imageSweeti7307:

Hey now, those are some hot backsides you need to protect.

• Options
    Kate621Kate621 member
    imagesodelish:
    imagesavannah_girl:

No, we are Catholic and do not believe in divorce. Plus we have grown up together (started dating at 15), so most of our "stuff" was, well "ours". And any future monies/items of value would be family heirlooms with the undertanding that it stays in the family.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I'm curious as to what this means. I don't think anyone goes into marriage believing they'll get divorced (but, I could be wrong). When you say you don't believe in divorce do you mean that no matter what you would never get divorced?

I'm also curious if there are people out there who have gotten married who "believe" in divorce.

Good question. I was wondering about this as well.

• Options

Nope.  Like most, we didn't have any assets so there was no need.  I was 23 when we married and probably would have refused to sign one then.  Now though, I'm not quite so idealistic and pretty practical so I think it's a great way to protect assets and say you're not in it for the money.  I wouldn't sign an agreement where I got nothing, especially if I was giving up working to raise children etc.

On a side note.  I've earned more than DH for our entire marriage and he has been in grad school, masters and now PHD, for all but one year.  He likes to tease me about having to pay alimony if I leave him.

• Options
    We actually did. My husband had a lot of assets and I only had a little bit, but he had been burned in the past, so he asked that we have one. I really don't think it's setting someone up for failure, I truly think my husband was just protecting his own butt, based on what happened to him in the past.
  • Options
    I was not the op of that statement. But when DH and I say it we mean that it is simply not an option. No matter what. But I dont really know how I would handle cheating- but it wouldnt be divorce even tough it would break my heart and forever change us. Lucikly I feel as though we will never cross that bridge. I am not catholic. *meant to quote Sodelish :)*
  • Options

imageMamaLBF:

I think it is more of protecting yourself for the future. 50% of marriage fail anyways these days and no one PLANS for them to end up that way. Those that have a pre-nup can at least rest assured that part is taken care of.

With that said, I don't have one. We were totes poor when we got married.

• Options

imagecinema_goddess:

Ditto. I would have signed one and he would have too if either of us had any substantial family assets or anything.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Nope and never would.
  • Options
    imageemilydholmes1:

imageMamaLBF:

I think it is more of protecting yourself for the future. 50% of marriage fail anyways these days and no one PLANS for them to end up that way. Those that have a pre-nup can at least rest assured that part is taken care of.

I agree with this. I think it is just a matter of protecting yourself. I am not married to SO, but we have nothing so its a nonissue. We won't be needing one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageKate621:
    imagesodelish:
    imagesavannah_girl:

I didn't get married believing I could ever get divorced... but I acknowledge that there is a line if my husband were to ever cross, I would leave him.  I married him because I believe and know him to be a person who would never, ever do these things.  But I believe in divorce for anyone who suffers abuse from a spouse (physical or emotional) or if a spouse continually disgraces the sanctity of marriage by repeated infidelity. Does that count as believing in divorce? 

• Options

imagecinema_goddess:

This exactly. I wouldn't call a 96 Monte Carlo an asset.  If we got a divorce I would have paid DH to take that car.

• Options

Nope, neither of us had anything coming into the marriage. However, my DH will be taking over the family company along with his brother (who happens to have a crazy wife) and when the company is transferred over SIL and I will both sign something saying we have only certain rights in the company.

I honestly have no problem signing this because it ensures us. I wouldn't trust that if something happened with BIL and SIL that she wouldn't try and get some share of the company. But it wouldn't be fair to only have her sign something and not me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesodelish:
    imagesavannah_girl:

Christians technically do not believe in divorce either. But there is a loophole, if your spouse cheats. 

• Options
    imageemilydholmes1:

imageMamaLBF:

This.  An attorney that I worked with had considerable assets (including a valuable house/property) before marrying someone who didn't.  Against his parents advice, he did not get a pre-nup.  They were married for 3 years before she cheated on him and he ended up having to buy her out of the house that he owned outright before they were married.  Unfortunately they are a necessary evil. 

• Options
    imagesodelish:

imageSweeti7307:

Hey now, those are some hot backsides you need to protect.

I really should consider getting it insured. *sigh*

• Options
    imageKatieMiami1220:
    imageKate621:
    imagesodelish:
    imagesavannah_girl:

I didn't get married believing I could ever get divorced... but I acknowledge that there is a line if my husband were to ever cross, I would leave him.  I married him because I believe and know him to be a person who would never, ever do these things.  But I believe in divorce for anyone who suffers abuse from a spouse (physical or emotional) or if a spouse continually disgraces the sanctity of marriage by repeated infidelity. Does that count as believing in divorce? 

Well, when you put it that way I absolutely "believe" in divorce. That's what I'm getting at with the OP of this statement as well. When someone says they don't "believe" in divorce does that mean that they see all divorce as wrong, even in the situation you described above?

• Options

No.My opinion is, that if you feel you need to protect your assets from me, then why are you marrying me? No matter how much money or earthly goods that either of us posess. A marriage should be based on trust and if you can't trust me with your finances, then what can u trust me with? I would NEVER.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~*Mrs.Gallegos*~
  • Options
    Nope, we have been together since I was 16 and he was 19. So we did have anything.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options

I did not, we didn't have significant assets.  I think they are a good idea for people with substantial money/property.

• Options

imagecinema_goddess:

This. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"