North Carolina Babies
Options

Book Recommendations

I'm leaving this weekend to visit my parents in CA (for three weeks).  I need a stack of books to take with.  They can either be baby related or not.  Just an idea of what I tend to read:  Water for Elephants, The Kite Runner, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Shanghai Girls, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Still Alice, etc. . . I love books about different cultures and those that teach me new things especially.  Thanks ladies!

Re: Book Recommendations

• Options
    I recently read Sarah's Key and I think it fits your description perfectly! I enjoyed it as did my sister and mom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I recently read The 19th Wife and really liked it. It's historical fiction about Brigham Young's 19th wife who divorced him and is juxtaposed with things happening in the present day. Sounds a little odd, I know, but trust me, it's good.

Also, I hesitated reading The Help for a long time because of the hype, but I just read it and really enjoyed it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you ladies for these recs - I just added Sarah's Key & The 19th Wife to my request list at the library. 

I read The Help & it was awesome! 

• Options
    I love all the books that have been mentioned. Another I really liked was Same Kind of Different As Me. I really like The Glass Castle. The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe was very enjoyable. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down was something I read back in college, it has to do with the Hmong culture and I still remember it b/c I learned so much and it was so interesting.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the recs.  Those should certainly be enough for three weeks.

dbertagni - I've read Sarah's Key and I thought it was AMAZING!  That's actually the last book I read. 

Yeah, I'm the same with The Help, but if y'all say it's good, I'll give it a read.

Thanks Again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"