Baby Showers

about RSVPs

how can people ignore an RSVP?  I though it was clear what that means. How in the world can you plan a menu with beverages and baby favors?  Do you just guess how many are coming?  What is the point of RSVP then? Should I just plan a menu for 20-25 and go with it [more food is better than not enough food,right?]

Re: about RSVPs

• imageblulady48:
    how can people ignore an RSVP?  I though it was clear what that means. How in the world can you plan a menu with beverages and baby favors?  Do you just guess how many are coming?  What is the point of RSVP then? Should I just plan a menu for 20-25 and go with it [more food is better than not enough food,right?]

Here is my reply in the other thread where you asked for some help:

What date did you put for the RSVPs?  After that date passes, start calling those who haven't contacted you.  And no, don't assume anything.  You'll end up spending money on things you don't need or not have enough.

To answer your questions here, people can just be rude about RSVPs.  They ignore them, they forget - if you want accurate numbers, you need to be prepared to hunt people down.

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • From my experience, a lot of people don't tend to reply to RSVP's. With my shower, no one has called my hostess to RSVP. She's had to call people and I've sent out messages to my friends on facebook that were invited, trying to find out if they are coming or not (hostess doesn't own a computer). 

I would definitely think that your hostess should be getting ahold of people that were invited if she hasn't got a reply back from them. It helps 100% with planning to know if those guests will be attending or not.

I am a person who thinks it's somewhat rude for an invited guest not to reply, one way or the other. If the guest can't attend (or even doesn't want to) at least have the courtesy to let the hostess know so a proper head count can be taken. Just my opinion.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the PP your hostess will have to call the rude people that didn't RSVP.  The only people that didn't RSVP to my shower were MIL and SIL, so rude.  We knew they were coming but apparently they just didn't feel like picking up the phone.  At the last minute SIL decided she couldn't make it and didn't call and let us know either, we found out from MIL when she showed up.  Ignoring a RSVP is beyond tacky in my opinion.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks for all the answers!  glad to know others still think what RSVP means.
  • imageblulady48:
    thanks for all the answers!  glad to know others still think what RSVP means.

You're welcome.

As for planning for food, yes it's better to be prepared and have plenty of food available. If you don't use everything, then you will have some leftovers. Nothing wrong with that!

We sent out about 20 invitations and only about 12 people will actually be coming. We planned enough food for 15-20 after getting the final count. I thought it would be better to have plenty of food, then not enough. Whatever doesn't get eaten DH will enjoy after the shower lol.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I totally agree with the others...if people have not RSVP'd then have the hostess give them a call (or email) to find out if they are coming or not.  I think it is interesting that people say they don't want to call a stranger.  To me it is easier (especially if I'm NOT attending) to call someone I don't know rather than someone I do know.  I'm wonder if some people don't don't what RSVP means.  A few times I've called people to say that "yes I am attending the shower/party/etc" and they act like "what are you talking about?"  Funny.

I would want to know an exact number so as to have enough favors, food, seating, etc...and then I add a couple more (just to be safe).

• Ditto everyone! As far as the food/favors/etc. I'm a big fan of overestimating. Even if it's by 5-10 people. You never know who may just show up without responding. And if you're having it catered you can always bring it home! Less cooking during those last few weeks!! :)
    TTC since February 2009
    BFP - Ended in m/c - 6/15/10
    BFP - Ended in m/c - 1/2/11
    BFP! - 4/13/11 - grow baby grow!! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"