Cincinnati Babies

Kid's Zyrtec?

If your DC takes it, does it work well for your DC?  Benadryl works well here, but I only give it at night because it is so sedating for DD.  Pedi gave blessings on that.  I am considering Zyrtec, but I need to hear what others think of it first. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Kid's Zyrtec?

• kel716kel716 member

I took zyrtec when it was still a prescription.  It made it extremely difficult for me to wake up in the morning (I took it at night before I went to bed).  I am already not a morning person, but with the zyrtec there were some mornings I struggled to wake up. 

I don't know anything about the kids version, but I wanted to relay that experience because I heard the same thing from others who took it. 

• DD used to take Zyrtec.  It worked well for her.  I would always ask her if it made her tired and she said no but we had her take it at night so I'm not sure she would be able to tell if it did.  She still takes it PRN and it usually clears up her symptoms pretty quickly.  DH also takes it PRN and it works well for him too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard people say adult Zyrtec makes them tired, but I've been on a ton of different allergy medications and this is the one medication that does not make me tired.  I guess everyone reacts to things differently?

DD does much better on Zyrtec than Benadryl.  She's absolutely crazy when she takes Benadryl.

• Have you considered childrens Claritin? DD has seasonal alergies and recently we got the okay for her to take Claritin. It cleared her right up and is non-drowsy. I do give it to her at night just in case, but she woke up at normal time the next morning.
  • DD takes claritin. It works well for her and seems to not affect her mornings.

I took zyrtec and it made me quite lethargic as an adult. I prefer allegra.

• We had K on Zyrtec when they were still trying to rule out allergies. We were instructed to give it at night because it can be sedating. I don't know if it's as sedating as Benadryl but it still tires some people out. 

FWIW, I take Zyrtec daily and I don't suffer any sedating effects from it. I didn't notice any sedation with K when she was on it but we were giving it at night so who knows.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS had some bad behavior reactions to Zyrtec. He would often tell me he felt sad.  He also would have very bad anger issues, like throwing his bookcase on the ground.  Problems went away once we took him off of Zyrtec.  Tried Singulair this year...same problems.  Maybe he just doesn't tolerate meds well.  Only med we've found is homeopathic and it is Hylands Allergies 4 kids dissolvable tablets.  Minor behavior issues with those.  Good luck!
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If this were a fill-in-the-blank question, I would say, "Kid's Zyrtec tastes like crap."  ha ha, my boys both make the most godawful faces when they take zyrtec.

It does not seem to have sedating effects on either one of my kids, and (guilty expression) I was kind of hoping that it would.  Children's Claritin and Children's zyrtec both work well for my boys, I can't really tell a difference in effectiveness between the two.  But we only give it on an as-needed basis, not daily.

Benadryl knocks them both out so we only use that for true allergic reactions (as opposed to seasonal allergies).

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • imagesistrkate:

If this were a fill-in-the-blank question, I would say, "Kid's Zyrtec tastes like crap."  ha ha, my boys both make the most godawful faces when they take zyrtec.

It does not seem to have sedating effects on either one of my kids, and (guilty expression) I was kind of hoping that it would.  Children's Claritin and Children's zyrtec both work well for my boys, I can't really tell a difference in effectiveness between the two.  But we only give it on an as-needed basis, not daily.

Benadryl knocks them both out so we only use that for true allergic reactions (as opposed to seasonal allergies).

Do you think the Claritin tastes better?  I tried Claritin, and it was like taking a placebo.  Did nothing for me.  I take Zyrtec daily, and it does help, and no sedation here.  I thought Zyrtec would be a good place to start with DD, but I don't need a daily wrestling match to get her to take it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"