Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Allergic to desitin, A&D?

My daughter has a really bad diaper rash that is not going away.  She really protests getting her diaper changed and hates it when I use Desitin and A&D , even the Butt Paste.  I tried Vaseline and she didnt protest that so Im wondering if she is allergic to those other diaper creams. I hardly ever used those things on her anyway but my MIL does ALL the time ( it drives me a little crazy when my DD comes home smelling like desitin).

Anyone else have problems with those creams and is Vaseline a good alternitive? Any other suggestions?

Re: Allergic to desitin, A&D?

• Options
    If it's red and bumpy it might be a yeast rash. Mine get them a lot, especially when they're on antibiotics. You can probably google pics of it. I use lotrimin 1% cream on it and it clears up quickly. Vaseline is a good barrier, so that's fine to use. The active ingredient in desitin and many other creams is zinc oxide. I don't know any kiddos allergic to it...but you could always tell your MIL she is. ;)
  • Options
    Are you using the zinc oxide versions of desitin and A and D?  My friend's DD had a bad reaction to those she can only use the regular A and D or vaseline.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Depending on how sevear the diaper rash is, maybe it burns a little bit as its being applied?

DD is protesting Triple Paste right now, but her bum is so red, so I think its a bit tender to the touch and rubbing that stuff on doesn't help the situation at all.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Which Desitin are you using? Ella CRYS when/if we use the blue tube on her but the purple, although a stronger formula, doesn't bother her. I think the ones other than the purple tube of Desitin have perfumes in them and they hurt if there are any open sores.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You could try CJ's BUTTer.  It's fabulous.  I believe they also make a version for yeast (as a pp mentioned it may be) but you'd have to check. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member
    I took DD to the pedi dermatologist for her diaper rash (that keeps coming and going). She said that many kids are allergic to diaper creams and they can actually make the rash WORSE instead of better. She gave us a steroid cream to decrease the redness and told me to use ONLY vaseline the rest of the time. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"