Eco-Friendly Family
Options

I think that DD is color blind

red/green to be exact. DH wants her tests, and I told him it could wait a while longer. Its not like she is in pre-school or some place that it would really matter. Its silly, but I am a bit sad to have 2 color blind kids :(

Re: I think that DD is color blind

• Options
    Wow, that's interesting that both kids are color blind... how did you figure it out with DD?
  • Options
    She keeps pointing to red and green objects calling them both green, but calls other things blue, yellow, etc. dh found a test where the kids look for shapes in the picture. I had her touch all the shapes and she could only find the yellow one, and not the red.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's interesting.  For some reason I thought only males had color blindness.
  • Options
    imageMissyOlivePants:
    That's interesting.  For some reason I thought only males had color blindness.
    Its super rare, but possible.
  • Options
    The science nerd in me is intrigued. Is your DH colorblind? Colorblindness is a sex linked recessive trait and is carried on the x chromosome. Thats why most cases of colorblindness are found in males. They only have the one x so nothing overrides the trait. Your daughter would need the trait from both you and your DH to also be colorblind.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsD_111106:
    The science nerd in me is intrigued. Is your DH colorblind? Colorblindness is a sex linked recessive trait and is carried on the x chromosome. Thats why most cases of colorblindness are found in males. They only have the one x so nothing overrides the trait. Your daughter would need the trait from both you and your DH to also be colorblind.

Chromosome charts have always fascinated me, too.  But, like eye color ( from the grandparents), I'm sure the probablity is decreased if only one parent carries, but still possible, like a brown eyed child of blue eyes parents & 3 blue eyed grandparents, yes?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think so with this particular trait. The gene is solely on the x chromosome. I think different mutations cause different types of colorblindness. Because it's recessive and on the x, girls need to get it from both parents. If they only get one x with the trait, the other x's gene covers it. She would be a carrier and potentially pass it to her children.

Hemophilia is another x linked trait that is fascinating. Queen Victoria in England passed it through her children. There are some cool family trees showing how it was passed along. (Can you tell I used to teach basic genetics?)
  • Options
    The most common gene for color blindness is on the X chromosome, and it is completely possible to have females affected, if dad is affected and mom is a carrier.  If this is not the situation, the color blindness is likely do to a different gene not located on the X chromosomes.  If neither parent is colorblind it would be recessive.  If one is, the  most likely scenario is dominant.  In genetics, nothing is certain unless there is molecular confirmation.  I do not believe colorblindness is multifactorial (although I'm not sure).  I work in clinical genetics, but this sort of stuff doesnt come up too often, usually deal with more debilitating genetic things, so I'm no expert on this. 
  • Options

imageMrsD_111106:
    I don't think so with this particular trait. The gene is solely on the x chromosome. I think different mutations cause different types of colorblindness. Because it's recessive and on the x, girls need to get it from both parents. If they only get one x with the trait, the other x's gene covers it. She would be a carrier and potentially pass it to her children.

Hemophilia is another x linked trait that is fascinating. Queen Victoria in England passed it through her children. There are some cool family trees showing how it was passed along. (Can you tell I used to teach basic genetics?)

Cool!

So, how does the left handed thing get passed down?  I'm curious, because my brother is a leftie, 2 cousins (1 female), 2 uncles, and my gpa are all lefties and all on my mom's side.

eta: And I suspect Saxton is a leftie (my FIL is left handed, as is 2 of his siblings and numerous of DH's cousins-male & female)

• Options
    CABunnyCABunny member
    imagethejennigirl:

imageMrsD_111106:

Cool!

So, how does the left handed thing get passed down?  I'm curious, because my brother is a leftie, 2 cousins (1 female), 2 uncles, and my gpa are all lefties and all on my mom's side.

Also curious about handedness.  Both my parents are lefties, my brother & are righties.  DH & J are righties and C is a lefty. 

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options
    imageCABunny:
    imagethejennigirl:

imageMrsD_111106:

Cool!

Also curious about handedness.  Both my parents are lefties, my brother & are righties.  DH & J are righties and C is a lefty. 

That one I have no clue about. My mom is a lefty and so are 2 of her siblings. I'm pretty sure N is a lefty too. I think that most people are right handed though.
  • Options
    OK, you guys totally lost me with the x-linked chromosomal talk, but I will chime in and say I have a female friend who is colorblind -- her hubby has to help her with clothes choices every day.
  • Options
    imageLady Galadriel:
    She keeps pointing to red and green objects calling them both green, but calls other things blue, yellow, etc. dh found a test where the kids look for shapes in the picture. I had her touch all the shapes and she could only find the yellow one, and not the red.
    Where did you find the tests if you don't mind? My brother and grandfather are color blind and am curious about DS...
  • Options

You know.. I never really thought about it, but I wonder if O is colorblind.. BF is red/green colorblind too, and honestly, I feel bad for him because of that.. :/ I'd never tell him that, though.. I just.. I just really LOVE colors. It's such a huge part of my life.. it IS my life, really.. and I can't imagine not be able to appreciate them the way I am able to.

On the other hand, though [we're both artists], BF is much more drawn to forms and shape. He's a designer and works with patterns and line, pretty much visual structure and that's something I've never been able to be competent in because I'm so busy with color. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    njh514njh514 member

I'm colorblind!!  My mom is a carrier and my dad is colorblind.

My son (who is 4) is also colorblind. I knew that his odds of being colorblind (via the punnett squares from high school) were pretty much 100% because he only gets the x from me and I am colorblind. We did one of those online colorblind shape tests bout a year ago and it looks like he sees pretty much the same things I see. It was kind of interesting.

My husband has no colorblindness in his family so it looks like my daughter has a strong chance of having normal color vision. Now she just needs to grow up and help dress her mother! :-)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"