VBAC

VBAC or VBA2C with unsupportive doctor

Has anyone had a successful VBAC or VBA2C with an unsupportive doctor? Did you have a birth plan? What did you put in it? Did your doctor know that you were planning a VBAC without their support? I really need some encouragement from someone who?s done it without a supportive doctor!

I?m hoping to have a VBA2C and I have a very unsupportive doctor's office, but because of my insurance I have no other options. I went on a hospital tour last weekend and the nurse said something like if you have a birth plan make sure we have a copy with your doctor's signature on it. That makes me think that they will make things really difficult for me since my doctor isn't in support of my decision to VBA2C. Although right now my doctor doesn't know that I'm planning on doing it. They do know that I want it, but they told me no and I didn't argue very much because it's their "office policy". But they do allow VBAC's so I just don't get why they won't do VBA2C.

Any suggestions on what to put in a birth plan or if I should even bother with one since my doctor won't sign it anyways. Should I let my doctor know that I'm gonna refuse a c-section or should I just wait until I'm due and surprise them with my real plan?

And just some background info: I don't have a doula, but my husband and family are all very supportive. I'm planning on laboring at home as long as I can. They said I can schedule my RCS at 40 weeks if I'm more comfortable with that, but they won?t let me go past that. And my first c-section was due to fetal distress and the second was just a planned RCS.

Re: VBAC or VBA2C with unsupportive doctor

• PGASTLPGASTL member
    I think you're setting yourself up for a very difficult situation if you try to go against your doctor - is this really your only choice with your insurance? If it were me, I would have a serious discussion with him on what your wishes are and when you would allow a RCS (fetal distress, drop in your BP, etc) and when you wouldn't (if all looks good). GL

• I'm curious- why is this your only option for your insurance company?  If this is what you're doctor is saying you medically need, how could they deny that?  (I'm not saying you shouldn't want a VBA2C, I'm just trying to understand the insurance angle.) 
  • Loading the player...
  • The reason this is my only option is because my insurance company only has 1 in network provioder for OB and they don't cover anything out of network. So this is my only option unless I pay 100% out of pocket. And I'm not sure I understand your second question. My insurance isn't denying anything that my doctor says I medically need. But my doctor isn't recommending a RCS because it's medically necessary, she's recommending it because it's their office policy not to do VBA2C. I hope that makes sense.
  • lkf041lkf041 member

If your doc is not supportive I say try to find another route.  Maybe a midwife?  Would your insurance assist with that?  A VBA2C is not common and in order to make your chances better you need a Doc that is on your side.

I thought my doc was supportive of a VBAC when I was pregnant with #2.  She put a ton of restrictions on me at the end, including not being able to go past 40 weeks and it resulted in a RCS... to me it's seems as though this is what is happening with you.  

Call your insurance and see if there is anything else you can do.  I find it hard to believe they only cover 1 OB in your area.   

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelkf041:

If your doc is not supportive I say try to find another route.  Maybe a midwife?  Would your insurance assist with that?  A VBA2C is not common and in order to make your chances better you need a Doc that is on your side.

I thought my doc was supportive of a VBAC when I was pregnant with #2.  She put a ton of restrictions on me at the end, including not being able to go past 40 weeks and it resulted in a RCS... to me it's seems as though this is what is happening with you.  

Call your insurance and see if there is anything else you can do.  I find it hard to believe they only cover 1 OB in your area.   

I totally get the insurance not covering more OBs. I lived in a rural area when I was pg and only had two options. But they were 2 hours apart. From me one was 35-45 minutes the other was a little over an hour. So I felt like I didn't have options and understand that there are situations where you really don't have options. I would call the insurance, though. I mean really they have to pay more for RCS than VBAC. I don't know how far you'd get with that argument.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only the only thing I can think of is seeing if there are any family practice doctors who would be willing to support you. Though I don't know if they would do VBA2C, it's probably still worth some phone calls around. Sorry you're going through this!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"