School-Aged Children

What do kids need to know for Kindergarten?

DS has been going to preschool since he was two and will be going to a Junior Kindergarten this fall. He turns 5 this fall (October), so I'm holding him back a year and then starting Kindergarten in 2012.

What will he need to know when he starts Kindergarten?

TIA

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10

Re: What do kids need to know for Kindergarten?

• It depends on your state and district.  Mine asks that kids be able to recognize and write their name, know their phone number, be independent in the bathroom, be able to use scissors, be able to zip their own coat, know most of their letters, and be able to count to 20. 
  • If you google you'll find all kinds of lists of skills.  My school district has one on their web site and was handed out at his pre-school.  You may want to search your school district web site or ask his pre-school teachers for a list.

Our list has specific things under the headings of reading, writing, phonemic awareness, social development, oral language, mathematics and gross motor.

For example:

Reading:

- identifies front and back of book

- identifies title and title page

- identifies the starting point of text on a page

- identifies many upper and lower case letters including those in his/her name

- knows that letters make sounds and knows some consonant sounds

- demonstrates an awareness of environmental print like restrooms and stop signs

- identifies own name in print.

Writing:

- prints first name

- draws simple picture stories

- writes known letters

- holds pencil correctly and assumes writing posture

- knows some purposes of writing

Phonemic Awareness:

- can identify rhyming words

- can hear beginning sounds of words

Social Development:

- demonstrates a plan for play

- sustains interactions with familiar adults and other children

- follows classroom routines and rules

- interacts positively with most children

Oral Language:

- stays address, phone number, birth date

- names 10 colors

- speaks in complete sentences

- follows 3 step directions

- includes adjectives and adverbs in sentences

Math:

- rote counts to 20

- recognizes numerals 1 - 10

- can write numbers to 10

- combines and compares sets (more or less)

- sorts and classifies by shape, color and size using more than one attribute

- recognizes and completes patterns

- recognizes position objects (first, middle, last)

- recognizes basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle, diamond)

- compares objects by color, size and height

- matches coins by shape, size and color

- interprets simple graphs

Gross Motor:

- walks heel to toe forward

- stands on 1 foot for 5 seconds

- walks down steps alternating feet

- climbs and swings

- gallops

- hops for 5 times on each foot

- can run on tiptoes

HTH

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is a Kindergarten Readiness test:

https://www.covenanthome.com/kready.htm

My DD is 9 days before the cut-off, she did daycare and one year of Prek prior to going to KG at the same public school.  She did awesome this year! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our school does not require a lot.   They do test the kids prioir to school starting with a test called the Brigance Readiness test.  So definitely call the school your child will be entering, they should have the info for you.  Each district is going to be different so before freaking out that your child doesn't know enough contact YOUR district.
  • Nothing.  Most of the kindergarten readiness stuff we received was about taking care of themselves in the bathroom, coatroom and classroom.  So many of them still couldn't do it, didn't want to, were too tired to by the end of the day, etc.  I stressed over nothing!  Knowing their ABCs and how to count to 10 to start with helps.  Since your DS has already been in PS, I doubt that any of this will be a problem.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Definitely do a search for your state and school district.  But as a 3rd grade teacher in Florida, I know kindergartners are expected to be able to read by the end of the school year.  Knowing the letters (and being able to identify the letters, not just singing the song) and letter sounds before going to kindergarten would be very beneficial.  Of course, there are all of the other things mentioned in others' posts as well such as being able to count to 20 (and not just saying the numbers 1-20, but counting items up to 20), writing their name, etc.
  • imageshouldbworkin:
    Nothing.  Most of the kindergarten readiness stuff we received was about taking care of themselves in the bathroom, coatroom and classroom.  So many of them still couldn't do it, didn't want to, were too tired to by the end of the day, etc.  I stressed over nothing!  Knowing their ABCs and how to count to 10 to start with helps.  Since your DS has already been in PS, I doubt that any of this will be a problem.

Ditto this.  I teach kindergarten and the simplest thing I can say is that your child needs to be ready to learn: meaning, be able to sit still, follow directions, listen to a story or to 5-10 minutes of direct instruction, sit at a table and work independently for a few minutes at a time, etc.  I've seen kids come in knowing no letters, sounds, numbers, etc. and leave kindergarten reading on grade level, because they were ready to learn.  If they're the kid who's rolling around on the carpet, licking the bookcases, and throwing a tantrum every time they don't get to do what they want, THAT is when there's an issue because they just can't focus on what's going on long enough to learn anything. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"