Alabama Babies

What birth control...

did/do you use. My 6 week appointment is tomorrow and I'm looking at the IUD and the rod that goes in your arm. I really don't want to use BCPs. Just looking for other options and real feedback.

Thanks!

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers

Re: What birth control...

• Infertility.  :)

I don't/can't do hormonal bc very well, so in the past we've used condoms, a cervical cap and a diaphragm.  All were easy.

• I have the Implanon rod. I love it! I haven't noticed any bad side effects from it, except that my period for the first year was wonky and I have a period every 6 weeks instead of the normal 28 day cycle. :) HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • I never went on BC after Avery - I was nursing and didn't have a period until I stopped pumping at a year.  I just tracked my cycles. 

I'm not sure what we'll do after AF returns.  I'm not 100% sure i'm done - or we'd do something more permanent but I do know that I won't have an IUD because too many of my friends have had troubles TTC after IUD.  

• uagirluagirl member

BCP for us.

I was on the mini-pill until I stopped BFing at 7.5 months.  I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen since then. I'm being monitored for possible blood pressure problems related to it, so we might be back to charting to avoid soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• I have the Mirena IUD. I havent had any issues and I dont have a period anymore.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm actually still trying to decide for sure. I definitely won't be going on BCP because I have pretty bad hormonal issues, even with the lowest-dose ones. Same with NuvaRing. I'm leaning toward Mirena.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ditto the infertility plan.  Though there are quite a few surprise BFPs on the SAIF board after struggling for their first child... sometimes it seems like having a child tells your body what it should have been doing in the first place.  We will likely just try to avoid any potentially fertile times.  Plus I'm hoping to breastfeed and hoping that will help.  But if I got pregnant again, I wouldn't be upset about it so I'm not pursuing any real BC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Right now we are just using condoms.  I hate hormonal BC and really don't want to go back on it.  I considered an IUD, but I have heard too many bad stories (one being my cousin who had hers go up inside of her and had to have surgery to remove it just a year ago.)  We are 99.9% sure we are done, but I am still nervous to have something permanent done right now...plus I am trying to convince DH to be the one to have a vasectomy instead of me tying my tubes. 
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• Thanks for all the advise! My doctor doesn't do the rod. I really wanted it but I think I'm leaning toward the IUD after talking to my doctor.
    Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • We are done after the twins and DH is getting clipped! Unless, I had to have a c/s, then I'm tying my tubes. We don't want any surprises!

I am one with a really bad experience with the Mirena. I don't want to scare you because I think most people have a good experience, I just wasn't one of the lucky ones. I will always wonder if the IUD had something to do with my infertility. I cannot recommend the IUD.

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSeasideBride06:
    Right now we are just using condoms.  I hate hormonal BC and really don't want to go back on it.  I considered an IUD, but I have heard too many bad stories (one being my cousin who had hers go up inside of her and had to have surgery to remove it just a year ago.)  We are 99.9% sure we are done, but I am still nervous to have something permanent done right now...plus I am trying to convince DH to be the one to have a vasectomy instead of me tying my tubes. 

This was the deal we made! He wants to do it now but that makes me nervous. I did tell him, if I ended up with a c/s (unplanned) then I would have mine tied. I am not hoping for that though!

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesdkrlm:

I never went on BC after Avery - I was nursing and didn't have a period until I stopped pumping at a year.  I just tracked my cycles. 

I'm not sure what we'll do after AF returns.  I'm not 100% sure i'm done - or we'd do something more permanent but I do know that I won't have an IUD because too many of my friends have had troubles TTC after IUD.  

I think you will have one more! I don't see you being done quite yet and knowing Robert wants a big family anyway. :)

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesdkrlm:

I never went on BC after Avery - I was nursing and didn't have a period until I stopped pumping at a year.  I just tracked my cycles. 

I think you will have one more! I don't see you being done quite yet and knowing Robert wants a big family anyway. :)

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can track your cycles to see when you ovulate (if you ovulate regularly) and then just avoid sex during that time of the month. It's not a fool proof method but for me, it's better than remembering to take a pill, or some other invasive method. I don't plan on going back on BC anyway since it was so hard to get pregnant with this one.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"