Military Families
Options

should I buy baby gear prior to moving to Germany?

Hi Ladies,

We are having our first child in Germany this Fall. We PCS from the states in a few weeks.

I was planning on buying things when we got there, since I am early in pregnancy, as well as I didn't want to move stuff and maybe have it break or get damaged in transit.

However, I was talking to my PCM yesterday, he said he had two kids in Germany, and things are super expensive, especially due to the exchange rate. So now I am re-thinking.

Car seat we will buy there, as I know they have different standards. I was thinking of buying a pack n play before we move, but should we buy a crib and stroller?

We will not be near a large base, we will be at Patch Barracks in Stuttgart, so I am assuming their PX/BX is smaller...

thanks.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: should I buy baby gear prior to moving to Germany?

• Options
    I got a pack n play and crib through the PX (Vilseck) but when the crib was recalled by the manufacturer, they gave me the hardest time when I tried to return it to the retailer (as the manufacturer had instructed).  I did pay more for a very basic crib than I would have had to in the states and didn't have much selection.  Personally, if it were me, I would just buy what you can in the States and not worry about it over there.  If you buy the crib before you move, leave it in the box (if the movers will pack it like that) and then you don't have to worry so much about it being broken in transit. 
  • Options

Buy before you go!  I had my third in Germany and the crib options were very limited at our PX (it may be different where you are going though).  I ended up ordering one through AAFES to get delivered to the store and it took like 8 weeks.  I ended up returning that one for one that ended up getting in stock in the store.  Got home and it was a totally different crib.  I didn't want to go through the hassle of packing it back up and returning it so I dealt with it.  I paid more than I would have if I was in the US too.  There is the option of going to a German store but the sizes are different and they just aren't the same kind of styles we are use to.

Car seat you can use from the US.  As long as you are in a US registered vehicle you can use a seat by US specs.  If you want a specific pattern/brand I would buy before you go.  Again, our base had a limited selection and I didn't want to deal with ordering one.  Some of the European seats do not have 5 point harnesses so I prefer using a US one.

I bought a stroller at a German store, it is one they sell in the US too.  I got a Peg Perego Pliko P3 and there were only a few minor differences with the ones they sell here.  It ended up being cheaper there than it would have been here.  I didn't want to pay to ship a stroller and I didn't like any at the PX.  I loved a lot of the strollers they had at the local stores in Germany.

The good thing about buying things at German stores is you can use a VAT form on larger purchases so you don't have to pay the 19% tax.  The exchange rate still isn't great but in same cases it is better than having to pay shipping. 

Pack n play again depends if you are picky or not.  I wasn't even going to buy one but my friend bought one as a gift.  It wasn't one I would pick if I was in the US but it worked just fine for the few times we used it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member
    thanks ladies. I wasn't even in baby buying mode just yet but now I am thinking I should shop a bit.

• Options

I just had a baby here in Germany and I would definitely suggest buying as much as you can before coming here.  I had everything bought and assembled back in the states before moving (I assembled everything so that if there were any problems I could exchange things at the store before moving) and only 1 item was broken by the movers.  It took me 10 weeks to have that item shipped to me through the PX when I got here.  I'm out in the middle of nowhere so my only option is to order online (and most things don't ship to APO or take WEEKS if they do) or drive at least an hour to expensive German stores which carry different sized products than what we would use in the States.  So things like cribs in Germany don't use the same crib sheets in the states, etc.  There are SOME places to buy things here, but they're few and far between and fairly expensive.  I'm even having trouble finding smaller things, like a crib mobile.   Our PX has ONE and it's 40 bucks or I can drive an hour to look at the German Babies R Us. 

ETA:  You can most definitely use a US carseat as long as you are in a US car.  We have one and the hospital and MPs approved it and said it was perfectly legal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Options
    I should add that stuff like bedding and things like that you can order easily so don't rush into things just to have them before you go.  Amazon ships a lot of things to APO.  I would mostly make sure to get your major things out of the way, things that can't be shipped as easily.  We ordered a ton online during our 5 years in Germany.  You get use to waiting 1-2 weeks for your things.  You just can't order things and expect them the next day.
  • Options

I'm not pregnant and do not have kids, so I can't really offer any advice re: your questions.  However, I live in Stuttgart and work at Patch and just wanted to welcome you early!  It's a great location.  This is my first time on this board, I usually lurk in TTC and BOTB, but if you have any specific questions about Stuttgart or Patch, feel free to message me.

~Melody 

• Options
    Just get the crib and car seat.  Don't go crazy.  You can go to ikea for things like the dresser and glider and it won't be that much more than you will pay in the states. Baby clothes and bedding and soft items you can order and get delivered.  Another thing to look at is some items on overstock.com will also ship to APOs with no additional charges, so you can get US items overseas as well.  Just don't buy a room full of furniture, because you don't know what your living situation will be...we had a huge house in Germany, but had several friends that were in small places with small bedrooms.  Especially the older homes, you can't get full size american furniture up the stairs!
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member
    imageMelody07:

I'm not pregnant and do not have kids, so I can't really offer any advice re: your questions.  However, I live in Stuttgart and work at Patch and just wanted to welcome you early!  It's a great location.  This is my first time on this board, I usually lurk in TTC and BOTB, but if you have any specific questions about Stuttgart or Patch, feel free to message me.

~Melody 

thank you! I will message you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"