Success after IF
Options

Any experience with Mag Sulfate???

Hi Girls-

Trying not to freak out, but after being on bedrest (due to my shortened cervix....) since 17 weeks, my BP is now rising (SO frustrated!).

It has been hovering in the 130's/80's, but the last few days it has been higher. The good news is that I am not spilling protein, my swelling is not bad and I have no other symptoms of pre-e. 

So depressing that I have done nothing since January and now this :(

Anywho, BP was 124/90 at my OB appt. today and I was ordered to rest even more than I have been and they are making me come back on Friday. If it doesn't go down, he already mentioned hospitalization.

I know that also means Mag Sulfate and from things I have read, it doesn't sound fun.

Just wanted some honest experiences from you ladies :)

I should also add that I have been on oral steroids (Prednisone) the past week for bronchitis/asthma stuff and both the allergist and OB said it *can* cause BP to rise. But, no one knows if it is going up because of the meds or the PG.

TIA!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Any experience with Mag Sulfate???

• Options
    I got put on Mag when I had PTL to stop my contractions. I was on it for 3 days and honestly it was horrible. I felt like I was hot from the inside out and no amount of cooling could make it go away. THey had the AC in my room dropped down as low as it could go (I want to say 65 degrees) and I had a fan blowing on me 24/7 and I was still hot. I was tired all the time but yet I couldn't sleep. I was very moody and not a very pleasant person to be around. I didn't realize how bad I felt until they took me off of it and I started to feel better. I hope you don't have to go on it, not a pleasant experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was on Mag post delivery due to Pre-E and my BP went up even higher once I delivered ( which is not normal)  It was 178/104 at one point and they were scared I was going to have a stroke.  So I was on it for almost 36 hours.  I felt very "heavy" and tired.  I also was very HOT!  I had to be cathed because of the Mag and I think that was worse than the mag it self.  Best of luck, it is not fun but if it does what it is meant to do it is worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yeah, it's pretty much the Devil :(  same as PP, hot flashes galore on it. I was on it for pre-e and  I just felt so out of it , i know i was on pain meds also but it was a different kind of "out of it".  

the thing that really pissed me off is that my son was 6wks early and they rushed him to the NICU right away.  after they stitched me up and i was in my room i asked if i could go see him and the Dr. said NO!  she said that b/c of the mag sulfate i had to stay in my bed for 24hrs and couldn't go anywhere.  umm....i'm in a freakin' hospital.  what on earth is going to happen to me on the 3rd floor that would be any different than the 2nd floor?? yeah, i bitched and moaned so much that they finally wheeled my  bed down there...thank God! 

ETA: good luck! i hope you don't end up w/ pre-e! 

imageimage

• Options

I typically run 135/85 medicated, as high as 140/95 without... and rarely has a doc blinked an eye. I'm kinda surprised your numbers are making them freak.

I've also been on some type of steroids the past few months, and my BP has risen 10 points typically. (I tend to only have issues with my diastolic)

It also messes with my blood sugars, with don't directly correlate with BP's, rather it's a whole system thing.

mag sulfate is the devil's drug, from what I've heard. blech! fight that one, lol.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    KahanaKahana member
    I was on it last week for PTL.  My experience was like the PP's but it also gave me a terrible headache.
  • Options

I was on it twice, both times to stop PTL.  The first time I was on it for 24 hours and the worst of it was that it made me so WARM.  I couldn't cool down at all.  If my bed was more comfortable, I would have been able to sleep right through it, but I was on a L&D bed and those are awful.  

Second time I was on for 12 hours and it still made me warm, but that's it.  The worst part was that they wouldn't let me go to the bathroom on my own because it can drop your BP so low.  I had to either be cathed or use a bedpan.  :( 

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep, ditto the above. I was also catheterized because I wasn't allowed to leave the bed- was told that's standard for patients on mag due to weakness and disorientation (its not safe to walk ). Sure hope you don't need it! All that said, I understand it works great hot shat it's used for, so there's that!
  • Options
    I was on it for 30 hours after delivering my son (emergency c-section due to Pre-e and HELLP at 41w6d). My bp was elevated my entire pregnancy, my top number was usually around 138 (can't remember the bottom numbers). All they did was monitor me--no meds, but, because I felt like hell, I may as well have been on modified besdrest. After delivery, I remember that my top number was well above 200. I was pretty out of it for the 30 hours I was on the drip. I was super hot though my room was set at "ice box". One person I talked to described mag sulfate as a personality sucker--it just drains you while you are on it. BUT, it if helps you cook the baby longer, it is worth it. My guess (I have zero medical training) is that the dose I received postpartum was higher than what you'd get while pregnant.

I am a little surprised that your OB is as alarmed with your current BP. It may be elevated, but man, if my bp were what yours is, I think my OB would have been pleased. I would do all you can to stay off of your feet to allow your body to take care of itself so keep your OB happy. I can imagine that is tough to do with two little ones at home though. Thinking of you!
  • Options
    I was on a high level of mag sulfate at 26 weeks to stop contractions.  It was NOT a fun experience.  It made me VERY hot and red faced.  I also got a little toxic on it ( had no reflexes and felt like i couldn't swallow or talk...but i think that is extreme) once the turned the level of it down things got MUCH much better.  I do remember having a red face for a few days after....but again once they turn down the initial high level of meds the symptoms got better quickly.  Good luck to you!
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • Options
    imagefallbride110406:

I was on it twice, both times to stop PTL.  The first time I was on it for 24 hours and the worst of it was that it made me so WARM.  I couldn't cool down at all.  If my bed was more comfortable, I would have been able to sleep right through it, but I was on a L&D bed and those are awful.  

Second time I was on for 12 hours and it still made me warm, but that's it.  The worst part was that they wouldn't let me go to the bathroom on my own because it can drop your BP so low.  I had to either be cathed or use a bedpan.  :( 

If, and I hope it doesn't come to this, you are hospitalized, ask for a real bed, as opposed to an L&D bed. My nurse mentioned hunting down a real bed for me, at one point. I was like, "Whatever, this is fine.". Well, she did find me a real bed and the difference was remarkable. I never would have known to ask. I wish I had! Again, praying you are able to stay in your bed!
  • Options
    imageSmudges*Mom:
    imagefallbride110406:

If, and I hope it doesn't come to this, you are hospitalized, ask for a real bed, as opposed to an L&D bed. My nurse mentioned hunting down a real bed for me, at one point. I was like, "Whatever, this is fine.". Well, she did find me a real bed and the difference was remarkable. I never would have known to ask. I wish I had! Again, praying you are able to stay in your bed!
    Yes, totally ask about a real bed. My nurse tried to get me one but antepartum was packed so they didn't have a free one to grab for me. I ended up having to wait for hours in L&D for a room to open in antepartum. Ditto the above about reflexes too. They were required to check mine every hour and a few times they had a hard time getting my legs/knees.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Pre-E left me hospitalized for a very long time.  Just know that mag isn't the go to for pre-e that doctors are monitoring and treating.  It is generally used for more emergent situations, so I'd be surprised if they have to go there. 

• Options
    I was on mag for PTL and everyone said I handled it better than most people so I dont know if my body just reacted differently or what.  The only thing I really remember is that I couldnt focus my eyes (or attention for that matter).  I just felt like I was in a daze I guess.  I remember the NICU docs coming in to talk to me and I was trying so hard to be present.  Good luck!  Hopefully your BP stabilizes!

-----Lisa-----
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"