New York Babies
Options

Schools in NYC? So overwhelmed!

Hi ladies! So DH and I are not pregnant, and probably still about 6 months away from even trying to get pregnant. However, we are considering buying a place somewhere in the city (either UWS or Brooklyn Heights) in the next year. Where ever we buy, we'd like to stay for at least 5-8 years. That means that where we buy will influence where our child goes to school.

I'd like to send our kids to public school, and DH is fine with that as long as it's a good school. How do you decided which public school is better than others? I've looked up reviews on insideschools.org for the ones that we would most likely be zoned for (ps 8 in brooklyn, ps 199/8/9 or something in that area on the UWS) and they all seem to be fairly good. But some of the middle schools seem to be less good....can you tour elementary schools before you decide to send your children there? How much did the available schooling in the area influence your choice of location in the city?

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Schools in NYC? So overwhelmed!

• Options
    I can't really answer most of your questions (we rent), but I live a block away from PS9 and the speech therapist there is actually DS's speech therapist (she does EI as a side job). From what I've seen walking past and from talking with her, it is a great school with active parents and teachers that are very dedicated. That seems to sync with the reviews we've read about it and we hope to still be here when DS starts school (he's 2 right now). And, as a bonus, it is a FABULOUS neighborhood!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"