Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Flame away but it makes me mad...

2»

Re: Flame away but it makes me mad...

• Options
    lmg423lmg423 member

i kind of understand where the op is coming from. 

no you don't get a medal, it doesn't make you a better mother, and it doesn't mean your child is going to be a genius because you had an unmedicated birth...

i think in many cases you mentally prepare yourself to be able to make it through labor and delivery without interventions. when you are able to you should be able to feel proud of yourself for doing it. not that you shouldn't feel proud of yourself for giving birth with an epidural, some other kind of intervention, or a csection but i do see it as an achievement. so i can see where you feel a little slighted when others claim to have done it naturally. 

it's like preparing to climb mt. everest and then doing it. then having others climb halfway and take an elevator the rest of the way and saying i climbed it too.

horrible analogy i'm sure.  

i prepared for a "natural" birth and ended up having a c-section.  i know i'm not less of a mom or weak -whatever. i grew a healthy baby and gave life.  But if i could have done it naturally i would have felt like i achieved something a little different. i don't know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Its great that your birth experience was the one you wanted.. but seriously, when did having a baby become a contest?  Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge their experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Not all deliveries go as planned!!! I was hoping to go unmedicated but things  changed. I had Pre-E, bedrest for 2 months and had to be induced. Needed the epi. due to back labor and double contractions from the pitocin. On top of that the epi helped decrease my BP which was a very good thing. I don't feel like having an epi. has anything to do with not having a "natural" delivery. I had a vaginal delivery which is the "natural" way that a baby is born. I had a medicated delivery. I am proud my delivery. Regardless of how it went it was still an amazing experience and I have no regrets!

You don't know how your future deliveries are going to go! Maybe you'll be in my boat. How will you feel about having a medicated, induced and hectic delivery. I don't think you'd be so judgmental.

• Options
    imageskio:
    imageivs112:

So would you like a medal or a badge of honor? FFS, your birth experience does not trump others.

She has one in her siggy. I effing hate the "I went natural" badge.

OP, like scout said, it's great that you had the birth experience you wanted and I give credit to women who stick to their med-free birth plans. But no one else's experience should take away from how you feel about your own. It is silly that people say they were unmedicated when in fact they were not, but as it was pointed out, unmedicated doesn't equal natural.

And FWIW, gloating about 'going natural' really grates on my nerves. I would've loved a natural and unmedicated birth. Instead, I ended up with a very-medicated major surgery to save my daughter's life.

So...do you hate the "I had an Epi" badges too? What is wrong with being proud of going natural? We should all be dang proud we gave birth at all, we gave life! Sheesh. I went completely unmedicated but do not agree with OP. I chose this birth for me and my family, not to get a medal. That does not make it wrong though to be proud of myself for my choice. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

• Options
    imageiris427:
    imageMaya1076:

Be mad all you want, but it's a BS reason to be mad.  Everyone here had a baby....at the end of the day who gives a shiz how that baby came out.  Vag.  C-Section.  Thru the nose.  Drugs.  No Drugs.  In a friggin bathtub.  Doesn't matter.  I don't care that you had a "natural" birth - kudos to you.  You shouldn't care that I had not 1, but TWO planned c-sections.

We're all doing what is best for US - and while you may feel that my planned c-section somehow makes me a lesser mom, I can say that you're the fool for not taking advantage of a plethora of drugs to ease your pain during a very painful process.  

We all need to be supportive of each other's decisions in how to deliver & raise our children because the process is hard enough withouth having it being judged.  Really....the only thing we should be judging is that if your kid is old enough to walk up to your boob & take a drink on his own - it's time to stop breastfeeding.  Anything other than that, I think we can all just agree to disagree!

JFC this post just keeps getting more idiotic.

My thoughts exactly.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    imageChinaDoll531:
    imageiris427:
    imageChinaDoll531:

a c-section is clearly not a natural birth as in you didn't actually "give birth" (I'm not discounting it at all, don't get me wrong) it's a surgical removal. 

WTF.

A c-section is still giving birth.  

please allow me to clarify what I meant. I can see how that came out wrong. I meant that it isn't the body going through the birthing process. It is a situation that requires major surgery to assist in the birth of the baby. Like I said, I wasn't discounting it at all. I was just trying to show the difference between what i would consider a "natural" or "unnatural" birth. 

FFS. All my children will be born "unnaturally" then? Good to know...thanks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageScout05:

Why do you care how other women refer to their birth experience? I have never, never understood this. So they say they went "natural" after their epi wore off. This effects you how?

I'm not flaming you, I just don't get it.

Ditto. Do you think that other women refering to their births as natural when it wasn't (according to you) somehow diminishes your accomplishment?

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options

No flames, but it's kind of a dumb thing to be angry about.

Meh.  I don't really care how your baby came out.   It's not a contest.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm not sure how this all got blown out of proportion. all I was saying was that if I was going to make a distinction on what was a "natural" birth or not that would be where I separated them. I put the two terms in quotes because they aren't words I would use. Natural is the word the OP used. Is there a better word to use for an opposite to it? I couldn't come up with one. 

If you read my original post I said I didn't like making such distinctions. It's pointless. Every baby has their own way of getting here and there really isn't room for judgement. that's just how it works. Not everyone can or wants to have their children vaginally.  

As for the comments that imply I made c-section babies sound like tumors... c-section is a major SURGERY that involves cutting open the abdomen to take out a child. I used the word "removed" because, again, I couldn't find another word that conveyed what I was trying to say. I'm sorry if I offended people. I was not belittling it or in anyway comparing it to a surgery to remove something toxic to the body. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.
  • Options

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to chime and say that I find these posts very hurtful.

I planned to have an unmedicated birth and I was really looking forward it.  Sadly, my water broke and I had zero progression and needed pitocin to kickstart things.

After a few hours I was having contractions at the top of my pain threshold one right after another.  Less than 30 seconds in between each contraction for over a half an hour and I was only 6cm dilated and was having the urge to push.  

My baby was nearly 9 lbs and sunny side up.  My labor was all in my back and hips and I have a pre-existing back condition.

If I hadn't had the epi and took a nap, I would not have had the energy to push him out. Truth. I had them turn off the epi when it was time to push so that I could still experience the birth the way I had intended.

To put it out there that you judge me and my birth plan makes me feel guilty...when logically I know I shouldn't.

It is hurtful and painful to be judged (even by douchebags on the internet) and to be honest, those stupid siggy badges are like a little dagger in my heart.  I know with time I'll overcome the (illogical) guilt I have over my birth experience, but 2+ weeks out it is still fresh.

So shut up. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageManiacMcGee:

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to chime and say that I find these posts very hurtful.

I planned to have an unmedicated birth and I was really looking forward it.  Sadly, my water broke and I had zero progression and needed pitocin to kickstart things.

After a few hours I was having contractions at the top of my pain threshold one right after another.  Less than 30 seconds in between each contraction for over a half an hour and I was only 6cm dilated and was having the urge to push.  

My baby was nearly 9 lbs and sunny side up.  My labor was all in my back and hips and I have a pre-existing back condition.

If I hadn't had the epi and took a nap, I would not have had the energy to push him out. Truth. I had them turn off the epi when it was time to push so that I could still experience the birth the way I had intended.

To put it out there that you judge me and my birth plan makes me feel guilty...when logically I know I shouldn't.

It is hurtful and painful to be judged (even by douchebags on the internet) and to be honest, those stupid siggy badges are like a little dagger in my heart.  I know with time I'll overcome the (illogical) guilt I have over my birth experience, but 2+ weeks out it is still fresh.

So shut up. 

Wow, first of all I am NOT JUDGING ANYONE!!! I am sorry that you did not have the birth experience you wanted. I am not saying anything bad about people that have epidurals I am simply saying that if you had an epi then you didn't go med-free. That is not being judgy that is fact. No need to call people douchebags and tell people to shut up. As far as the siggy I wanted to exclusively breast feed but now have to supplement with formula, but it doesn't bother me to see the EBF siggy badge. Sometimes that is just how the cookie crumbles.

• Options
    imageManiacMcGee:

You shouldn't feel guilty.  You did what was best for you and your baby.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member
    imageChinaDoll531:

I'm not sure how this all got blown out of proportion. all I was saying was that if I was going to make a distinction on what was a "natural" birth or not that would be where I separated them. I put the two terms in quotes because they aren't words I would use. Natural is the word the OP used. Is there a better word to use for an opposite to it? I couldn't come up with one. 

If you read my original post I said I didn't like making such distinctions. It's pointless. Every baby has their own way of getting here and there really isn't room for judgement. that's just how it works. Not everyone can or wants to have their children vaginally.  

As for the comments that imply I made c-section babies sound like tumors... c-section is a major SURGERY that involves cutting open the abdomen to take out a child. I used the word "removed" because, again, I couldn't find another word that conveyed what I was trying to say. I'm sorry if I offended people. I was not belittling it or in anyway comparing it to a surgery to remove something toxic to the body. 

I've had a c/s.  I know what it entails.  

The word you're looking for is birth.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member
    imageSharon21:
    imageManiacMcGee:

So shut up. 

Wow, first of all I am NOT JUDGING ANYONE!!! I am sorry that you did not have the birth experience you wanted. I am not saying anything bad about people that have epidurals I am simply saying that if you had an epi then you didn't go med-free. That is not being judgy that is fact. No need to call people douchebags and tell people to shut up. As far as the siggy I wanted to exclusively breast feed but now have to supplement with formula, but it doesn't bother me to see the EBF siggy badge. Sometimes that is just how the cookie crumbles.

Good for you?

Maniac, I'm with you.  I hate those siggy badges.  They just seem smug to me.  I'm sorry that you're hurting over how your birth went.  I've been there and it sucks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageChinaDoll531:

I cannot vaginally deliver but I will give BIRTH to my children and so will any other woman who has a cesarian.n
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

listen babe... i was in labor for 11 hours and i pushed my daughter out for over 2 hours!!!!!!!!!! i honestly felt like my rectum was being torn out of my body and delivered out on the table! i thought my whole body was being taken over by Diablo~! and that i would never have a normal bowel movement again or be able to have sex b/c i thought a ice pick was being passed through my vagina. i felt her cut me and i felt every single stich that she gave me during the hour that i was spread eagle being sown up.

yes, i had an epidural, but they turned it off before i started pushing and i pushed MED FREE! so i do think i "went natural" and i swear to the heavens above, i will shoot my doctor if he turns off the epi with the next kid. then i can say... no- i didn't deliver naturally... i went the cowards way out :) LOL

• Options
    imageChinaDoll531:

Whatever.  It is always best to filter your thoughts before putting them out there if you care about offending someone.  However it was intended, it definitely sounded belittling to the ladies whose LOs were delivered via csection.  I myself being one of them...   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekdodge423:

Natural = baby out vag

This 

• Options

imageBocciulo:
    You know what it really doesn't matter. I am not sure why everything in life needs a label. No matter how it is done you have a baby.

and this 

• Options
    ladyceeladycee member
    I pushed a baby out of my vagina, that's damn natural to me! I don't care if you did or didn't have meds, the baby came out of your vag, your butt, or your nose.. all babies are born naturally! Bringing a new life into this world, by whatever means necessary, is one of the most natural thing any woman can do! End of story.
    Lilypie - (MLGF)Lilypie - (yERV)
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    imageAllysunC:
    imageChinaDoll531:

I cannot vaginally deliver but I will give BIRTH to my children and so will any other woman who has a cesarian.n

Yep. The definition of birth: Noun: The emergence of a baby or other young from the body of its mother; the start of life as a physically separate being.

I'm pretty sure that any baby born via c/s becomes a separate human being. I'm also pretty sure that said baby does emerge from the mother's body. Still not sure why people think a c/s isn't giving birth....

• Options
    skioskio member
    imageBluescarf:
    imageskio:
    imageivs112:

So would you like a medal or a badge of honor? FFS, your birth experience does not trump others.

So...do you hate the "I had an Epi" badges too? What is wrong with being proud of going natural? We should all be dang proud we gave birth at all, we gave life! Sheesh. I went completely unmedicated but do not agree with OP. I chose this birth for me and my family, not to get a medal. That does not make it wrong though to be proud of myself for my choice. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

FFS. Did you even read the rest of my post or any of the other replies? I HATE the "I went natural" badge because 1) it's incorrect; natural = baby out of the vagina, not med-free; and 2) it rubs it in the face of people like me who would've loved med-free, natural births and had to have surgery to save the life of their child instead. Be proud all you want, but I find you and others who use that badge tactless.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageskio:
    imageBluescarf:
    imageskio:
    imageivs112:

FFS. Did you even read the rest of my post or any of the other replies? I HATE the "I went natural" badge because 1) it's incorrect; natural = baby out of the vagina, not med-free; and 2) it rubs it in the face of people like me who would've loved med-free, natural births and had to have surgery to save the life of their child instead. Be proud all you want, but I find you and others who use that badge tactless.

Sad

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    skioskio member
    imageAutumnBride929:

Sad

lol. I'm sorry, but I had to say it after Blue's reply. Like I said in my original response, I really respect people who are able to stick to their med-free birth plans. I think it's great. But the badge can be a real sucker punch to people who couldn't have the birth plan they wanted. I was in labor for 23 hours, pushed for three, hadn't eaten in 32 hours and hadn't slept for over 40...and I ended up with a surgery due to fetal distress. It sucks when you have a plan and have to accept that your body just can't do it. So, seeing "I went natural" 87 times a day makes me feel like poo, despite being thrilled that I gave birth to my healthy daughter, no matter how.

Just thought I'd try to express what it feels like being on the other side. I didn't mean to take away from anyone's pride - part of what Blue said is what really matters here - that we should all just be proud that we brought a life into the world.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageskio:
    imageBluescarf:
    imageskio:
    imageivs112:

I did read the rest of your post, and I do get what you're saying. I'm just not getting why I can't express how I gave birth, on a site about birth and babies, because someone else didn't get the birth they wanted. I'm truly sorry you didn't get what you wanted from your birth, but that is just something that happens. I have to see badges and posts about people talking about their babies sleeping thorugh the night at five weeks, or how they started cooing and smiling so early, even though those were worries of mine, and I still have to get up in the middle of the night to feed LO. This doesn't make me think they are tactless, it's just not their job to tip-toe around my insecurities. We all have things that we regret, feel guilty about, or just have an insecurity about. I don't mean any harm to anyone at all, I think we should all be onthe same side, ya know? May sound all ponies and rainbows but I need the support of other moms and I think others do too. I just don't want to have to hide something I'm proud of for myself. Even though I went med-free, I still didn't get the birth I wanted either, and sometimes it still hurts when I think back at what I wish had been different. I still don't begrudge another a better experience though. Also, you should be proud that you went through so much for your child. Maybe there should be a badge that says " I made the right decisions for the health of my baby", but it's probably kinda long, like this post.

• Options
    iris427iris427 member
    imageskio:
    imageAutumnBride929:

Sad

lol. I'm sorry, but I had to say it after Blue's reply. Like I said in my original response, I really respect people who are able to stick to their med-free birth plans. I think it's great. But the badge can be a real sucker punch to people who couldn't have the birth plan they wanted. I was in labor for 23 hours, pushed for three, hadn't eaten in 32 hours and hadn't slept for over 40...and I ended up with a surgery due to fetal distress. It sucks when you have a plan and have to accept that your body just can't do it. So, seeing "I went natural" 87 times a day makes me feel like poo, despite being thrilled that I gave birth to my healthy daughter, no matter how.

Just thought I'd try to express what it feels like being on the other side. I didn't mean to take away from anyone's pride - part of what Blue said is what really matters here - that we should all just be proud that we brought a life into the world.

Yep. 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"