Indiana Babies
Options

Moving Advice

Hey ladies!  I want to pick your brains a minute and make sure there's nothing I'm missing here.  We've been getting quotes on moving our furniture out to CO and I am shocked Surprise at the cost.  Shocked.  As in, it would almost be cheaper to buy new furniture.  Here are the avenues I've explored so far:

1.) Moving company (they pack, move, and store) - seems to be the priciest option

2.) Pod rental - they deliver a couple of pods, we hire a couple of guys to move our furniture down the stairs, etc, and then PODS will move it across country and store until we need it.  Still way more than I thought, considering that we're doing most of the work ourselves.

3.) UHaul rental - we pack, we drive.  Much cheaper, but a last resort.

Any of you with moving experience who've done it a different way? 

Re: Moving Advice

• Options
    have you looked at ABF?  just like the Pods rentals....only cheaper.  We used them when we moved from TX to IN, great company, they delivered on time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageandiandlou:
    have you looked at ABF?  just like the Pods rentals....only cheaper.  We used them when we moved from TX to IN, great company, they delivered on time.

wanted to add...we paid under $800 to move the furniture in our two bedroom apartment and almost 2 weeks worth of storage (this was 3 yrs ago)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageandiandlou:

No, I haven't!  Thanks for the tip!  That sounds WAY more reasonable than Pods.

• Options
    rachesraches member
    No real advice, other than good luck!  I've heard really good things about PODS, but I didn't realize how pricey they were.  I'd be hesitant to pack a U-haul and move it myself, because I know I'm far from a professional mover and wouldn't want to ruin anything.  At least if the movers break something, they are at fault.  What about 1-800-PACK-RAT?  They are similar to PODS.
    Owen and Olivia born on November 2, 2011 at 30.5 weeks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My parents recently moved from Indy to Wichita,KS and paid around $5K. They packed everything, but the company loaded it in Indy and unloaded it in KS. I can find out who they used if you're interestested.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've had friends use 2 guys and a truck but I'm not sure if they move cross country or not.
  • Options
    i wish i had advice but wanted to say good luck!  thinking of you!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your input!  I'm waiting on the quote from Allied now - they came by the house for an estimate today.

holdn5 (I'm sorry, your real name is totally escaping me right now!) - if you happen to talk with your parents in the next couple of days, would you mind asking them which company they used?  That quote sounds about right to me...depending on the weight of their stuff vs. ours, I guess.  PODS wants $6500 and we would have to still hire people to load our furniture.  That's the part that really gets me - for that much, I want someone to move our heavy dresser down the stairs, at least!  Stick out tongue

Squishy - PM coming back your way! 

• Options
    PM'd ya back
  • Options
    I have no advice...just wanted to say good luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We used ABF too and loved it.  I was pregnant when we did the move and they were wonderful.  We hired people to load and unload and had no worries.
    image Shafonne Myers Wife,Mother and Planner of Everything
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"